Probs with RAM tosh DR-1

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ted26, Dec 1, 2004.

1. ted26

ted26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    When i got my tosh recorder a week ago i also bought some panasonic RAM which are giving me a bit of grief.

If i record on a disc and leave it in the recorder overnight then turn recorder back on it doesn't recocnize the disc and says it may need cleaning !

I am new to this so any help on either coice of disc or if i am doing something wrong would be great :)

Oh forgot to mention that if i leave the recorder for 20 mins or so and then load the disc everthing is fine :confused:

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Sounds like it could be a dodgy unit - the DR1 is normally fine with Panasonic DVD-RAM. You could try formatting the DVD-RAMs on the Toshiba and see if that makes a difference.

3. ted26

ted26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just formatting the first one right now ras :)

Will report back if thats the problem in a few days when i have recorded again.

Do you mean the low level format that takes a couple of mins or the full 70 mins version ?

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    The quick one.

5. ted26

ted26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well i could not get the tosh to read these discs on start up so i decided to rebox it and take it back to good old comet :eek:

This is where the fun started ! the lady behind the counter asked if i was trying to play copies in the machine :laugh:

Anyway they refused to do anything about the situation and told me to take it home and ring toshiba who said it was faulty and would collect it on monday :mad:

I cant believe for one minute that i have bought a faulty product and cant get my money back !

Anyone know where i stand on this one ?

6. ted26

ted26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just rang comet back and they have agreed to give me my money back as long as i show them the fault :thumbsup:

But now i am unsure whether to get another dr-1 or something else !

All i want is a recorder with progressive scan which gives a good quality picture.

What do you guys reccomend ?

7. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly you are entitled under the sale of goods act to go to the retailer to get the problem sorted, they do not have the right to fob you off to the manufacturer (you can alway envoke the right to contact the manufacturer directly where the retailer has failed in his duty), in your case the machine was faulty out of the box so you are entitled to a refund.

Secondly, the Panasonics have Progressive scan however they do not support -RW as a writing format and you will have to use -R and Ram only if you get this machine (it will play -RW just not record to them). Hope this helps.

8. ted26

ted26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have read on here that its also good to have rgb in but cant find any such players for £200 > £300

Also whats the difference in pq between the panasonic and tosh?

9. ted26

ted26

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well finaly got comet to accept that the unit was faulty and got a full refund with which i bought the exact same unit for £150 less :eek:

All running well and happy so thanks for any help given :thumbsup: