Problems with YouTubeTV on the LG app store.

I'm in the east coast of the U.S and I'm having an issue with multiple LG devices that have completely unique store listings although they're both using the same software.

My L.G TV's are fine, they have a rich app filled store with everything that's required, however I have a projector:

LG HU70LA 4K UHD Smart Home Theater CineBeam Projector with Alexa Built-In, LG ThinQ AI, and LG webOS Lite Smart TV (Netflix, Amazon Prime and VUDU)​

Which has a very limited app store, nothing of value and the most important app that's missing is YouTubeTv.

I understand the quick fix is to just plug in an Amazon TV/Chromecast but I'd like to get the app running directly from the projector.

Thanks!

chenks

what question are you asking?
if it's "why is the app not in the lg app store" then you'd need to ask google that question.

mikej

The specs for the HU70LA state that it should have access to Disney+, Netflix, YouTube, Amazon, LG Channels, FandangoNow and Spotify Music, but that 'some apps may be available via software update, which requires internet connection'.

Have you updated the firmware to the latest version ?

chenks

Youtube and YoutubeTV are 2 different apps

mikej

Youtube and YoutubeTV are 2 different apps
Ah, OK - thanks. A subtle (but important) difference !

In which case, @frustratedwithlgx2 - if you're on the latest firmware and it's not available in the projector's app store, then you're out of luck. It might be worth contacting LG to see if there are any plans to make it available in the near future though, before you splash out on a streaming device.

FWIW, the YouTube TV app isn't available in the Google Play store for my Pixel 2 phone either, despite my version of Android (9) being suitable, according to Google's YouTube TV supported devices page. LG TVs 2016 and newer should be supported, although it doesn't specifically mention projectors.

chenks

It might be worth contacting LG to see if there are any plans to make it available in the near future though, before you splash out on a streaming device.

no point asking LG, it's googles app and it'll be up to them as to what devices it's available on.

FWIW, the YouTube TV app isn't available in the Google Play store for my Pixel 2 phone either

the app is also country specific. it won't be listed in the store in countries where it's not available.
it's currently only available in USA.

mikej

no point asking LG, it's googles app and it'll be up to them as to what devices it's available on.
Yes - you're right but as WebOS is proprietary (and also Linux-based), LG would presumably have been involved in it's development so if it's not been rolled out to certain LG devices, then LG should also know which devices and the reasons why not. Contacting both might be a good option, I guess.
the app is also country specific. it won't be listed in the store in countries where it's not available.
it's currently only available in USA.
Ah, right. That makes sense. Thanks.

chenks

Yes - you're right but as WebOS is proprietary (and also Linux-based), LG would presumably have been involved in it's development so if it's not been rolled out to certain LG devices, then LG should also know which devices and the reasons why not. Contacting both might be a good option, I guess.

nope, LG will have no involvement.
it's no different to google developing apps for Apple devices, apple aren't involved in creating the app, they just provide the store to supply it to the devices, and which devices are targetted by the app.

Thanks guys, that answers the question.

I suppose apps are device specific to device type not just manufacturer store front, very frustrating and disappointing.

chenks

I suppose apps are device specific to device type not just manufacturer store front, very frustrating and disappointing.

yes, apps can target specific devices.
this is done so that app developers can ensure that devices meet a minimum requirement.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom