1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with Yamaha A1 and MS Genie Sub

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by MookieBoy, Feb 13, 2005.

1. MookieBoy

MookieBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently decided to upgrade my system and I think I might have an incompatability problem. I've got a Yamaha A1 which I'd like to hang onto, because as you probably know, this was the daddy of all amps back in the day. However, I've recently bought a Mordaunt-Short Genie package. But the subwoofer doesn't seem to work with the amp. I have connected a QED Qunex SR-SW cable from the subwoofer left line in terminal, to the A1 sub mono terminal. But no sound comes out of the sub, despite my desperate attempts to configure the amp. Is it because the amp is expecting another feed from the sub, direct to the front speaker terminals on the amp? The A1 instructions seem to suggest this, but I'm not sure. Any ideas? Otherwise, assuming the sub is OK, I'll have to invest in a new Denon 2805 (yet more retail therapy!!)

2. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,687
    I have a similar Yamaha and feed the subwoofer through the phono connectors. You don't connect the speakers wires if you use the low level option.
    If the front speakers are set to large then, as I remember it, there will be nothing fed to the subwoofer- unless you are using Dolby digital and then it should get the LFE signal. -But this is only when you have the effects on and set to DD or something else.

You can check the subwoofer and connecting wire by plugging it into an output - say tape out just to check all is OK that side.

3. MookieBoy

MookieBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your help Cliff - I'll give this a try.:hiya:

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If you have any speaker running as small the DSP-A1 will send the bass of that speaker to the subwoofer.
    Setting the LFE/Bass out to "Both" will cause the bass of the fronts to be redirected to the subwoofer (the LFE will not go to the fronts though, only to the sub).

If no speaker is set to SMALL and Bass/LFE out is set to subwoofer, then you will only hear the .1 (aka LFE) of DD/DTS soundtracks via the subwoofer, nothing else.

All of the above assumes that the subwoofer is configured to be present (Subwoofer = YES if I recall correctly).