1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with video pass-through

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by Ten, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Ten

Ten
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have recently purchased an AV32R DP and am having problems with video passthrough.

The DVD32R (with PSM) is linked to the DP and then onto the 100X5R.

Picture on any of the video inputs are only available when the menu is selected on the DP, when you exit the menu, the image from the DVD player overrides all the images from the processor.

Everything was working fine via my SP and none of the cabling has been changed.

The dvd player and DP have been upgraded to the current software.

I noticed that the only way to obtain picture as normal (from the video sources) was to disconnect the Tag bus cable from the dvd player, but once this was done, no picture was available from the dvd player.

Also, it appears that the subwoofer is not available any mode apart from direct + sub and DD/DTS modes.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Regards.

Ten

2. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi.
    Do you want to run this past us again, slowly....... It don't make much sense currently.
    I assume you have assigned the correct video input for each audio input? I'd start by running the first time setup wizard and see where that gets you...

You can only feed the DVD32R's composite or s-video feeds via the DP.... The TAGTronic bus cable doesn't carry video only TAG bus info between the units. If you get a picture when the cable is disconnected you must have a setting wrong in the menu as disconnecting the cable only means the two units can't set each other up anymore...

3. Ten

Ten
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Graham

I have gone through the first time set up again and correctly assigned all the inputs correctly.

It seems to be some sort of conflict with the PSM in the DVD32R.

When you try to choose any of the video inputs, you only get the picture from the DVD32R.

I have been trying out various configurations and it seems that the only way I can select between the video inputs is to assign the DVD32R an empty video input (but this wasn't the case previously.

Regards.

Ten

4. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    What DVD32R video output are you feeding into the AV32RDP? Remember only the BOTTOM composite and s-video sockets are outputs on the DVD32R with a PSM fitted.....

5. Ten

Ten
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Graham

None.

The video sources are from the DP (via the bottom video outs) into the top inputs on the DVD32R, the DVD32R is feeding a PW4 via component (via BNC's).

Hope this helps.

Ta

Ten

6. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Sounds to me that the external PSM automation is switched off in the menu (or yoru AV32R DP is running a very old software version). Go into the menu->Change Setup->PSM Progressive Scan and there should be an option that enables/disables external PSM control.

7. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    The master has spoken, your issue also means something now we have worked out what you were trying to do ;)

Regarding the sub output, what are your speaker settings (full range etc.) and what are your default processing modes for each input/sample rate? I think your answer is in there.....

8. Ten

Ten
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Graham/Steve

Thanks for your replies.

The DP is currently running 4.31, the DVD32R is 3.85.

I have checked the settings and "switch PSM inputs" is enabled is this correct?

With these setting, the problem still persists.

The setting for the speakers are main l/r - FULL, centre and rears - BASS LTD., the cut off has been set at 40hz (main) and 60hz (centre) and 80hz (rears).

I don't believe any of the other settings have been changed.

Thanks.

Ten

9. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Have you assigned the audio/video inputs correctly? I suppose selecting an audio input and then cycling throught the video inputs until you get a picture might lead to an answer where you are going wrong?

Regardingthe sub issue, I would read Steve's missive on bass re-direction rules recently and leave Steve to explain further. What are your main L/R pair?

10. Ten

Ten
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Morning Graham

Cycling through the inputs only gives me a picture if the DVD32R is assigned an empty input (and it is 'linked' to the dvd audio input), if not, the dvd player stays on screen at all times.

R.E. the sub issue, I will investigate Steve's post and report back.

BTW, I am running a pair of Kef Model 2's.

Ta.

Ten

11. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    What does the front VFD on the DVD say when you want to watch the s-video feed for instance? It should say PSM in big letters and s-video in small letters under it, you then have selected correctly the PSM's s-video input and whatever is onthat should be outputted progressively? Assigning the audio/video link in the AV32R should reflect this?

12. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I just tried a 32DP here controlling a DVD with PSM and it works, so it has some potential to work.

What I suggest is make a backup of your settings and post the resultant backup file here. I'll download it and push it into a DP here and see what gives.

Subwoofer - the bass from bass limited speakers will be redirected to the subwoofer, so in your case this means bass from the rears.

The SP bass management was quite limited and typically you had to lie to the setup about the true capabilities of your speakers and then do this manual +sub thing for music vs movie.

In the DP declare the real capabilities of your speakers (are your fronts REALLY full range). If you want to override the bass management rules for a given processing mode you can by going into menu->change setup->Output/Speaker Options->Loudspeakers->Subwoofer->Bass Redirection Rules.

13. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    I'm experiencing a similar problem I think in that the PSM is not autoswitching to the s-video and composite inputs when an input is selected on my DP, despite the option being enabled in the DP menu. I've got around it by using the SHIFT +1/2 remote code and programming it into my Pronto. FWIW, the switching worked perfectly with my old SP.

Ten should try the remote codes first.

14. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Yes indeed that is what I meant but at 8am it might have read a bit different....... "Ten" needs to confirm that the PSM does actually output correctly by forcing the "shift+1/2/3" first. Steve is quite right about the setting file though, nad might save a lot of posting here as nothing but nothing beats looking at the real thing, lets hope "Ten" has a TAG programming lead.....

15. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Personally I'd think that the Kef's are not really full range in the TAG definition as they are really on the way out from just above 50Hz from memory..... I suppose it depends on the subs he uses thoughas to the end result.......

16. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    I'll try to post my backup file here later tonight to see if Steve can identify the problem (if that's ok with Steve of course!)

17. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    backup file attached

Attached Files:

18. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Simon,

Just loaded it in and the reason why it's not working is that under Change Setup->Tag Tronic Menu->DVD32->Audio Input that DVD is connected to was set to DVD. However under key assignments DVD has no video attached to it which in turn screws up a bit of logic which tries to resolve the DVD32R's video input (In a 32DP with external DVD32R+PSM there typically isn't one as DVD feed goes direct from player to screen...).

To fix it just assign something like DVD-S (or any other unused s-video input) for the video input of the DVD key and all will then work. A bit wacky I know... :eek:).

Regards

19. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    It works! You are an Officer and a Gentleman, Sir! :thumbsup: :smashin:

20. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Now what did I say about assigning a video/audio output......

Now this is all well and good until you have used all the video inputs on the DP.... :devil: Not likey I know but I'll bet someone will (Joel????)... :eek:

21. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    You've got to admit that it's a bit weird having to assign a video input for the dvd when there's nothing connected to it (although I do understand the logic).

Oh, and Steve explained it much more clearly that you did Graham ;) :D :rotfl:

Seriously though, thanks for your input (geddit) on this.

S

22. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Groan........

23. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    One trick you can do to make use of that "spare" DVD-S input is feed the DVD32R's S-Video output into the AV32R's DVD-S input. When you go into the menu system you will get a black and white version of the DVD video overlayed with the OSD. This can make some things like lipsync setup easier.

24. Ten

Ten
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi people

Thanks for all your replies, but.....is there any way to get arround this 'quirk', as the set up worked fine previously with my SP.

It seems odd when it should work with a 'lower spec' model.

Anyway, ta.

Ten

25. Stevesky

Stevesky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    See second paragraph of post #18.