1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with Video cd's

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by cutes6, Mar 28, 2002.

1. cutes6

cutes6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have a Pioneer 636d DVD player a computer with XP and Nero Software ver 5.5.

I have just bought a digital camera a Nikon coolpix 775 and have taken many pictures which I have tried on several occasions to make a vcd with but without success.

I take pictures in 1600 @1200 jpeg format and I realise they need to be in mpeg 1 format but I believe Nero converts these when you transfer these files in to the make cd window and as there are so many pictures (but less then 99 as I understand thats the limit) I click on edit then select all and drag them across and then burn the cd.

Now when I put the cd into the dvd player it recognises the disk as a vcd disk but the screen is blank, I have tried cdr and cdrw disks but the same result ???

So I need some help please - is it anything to do with the pictures being 1600 @1200 - I believe my dvd player will play these disks and the display certainly says vcd when the disk is in so I am at a loss on this and would be gratefull for any ideas - thanks

2. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I have a similar problem but my dvd player doesn't even recognise the VCD - it says "no disc". Someone on this forum told me I need TMPGenc software (free off the net) but I haven't tried it yet. I think the problem is that Nero 5.5 allows you to drag your files across and leads you to believe that they will convert to a VCD format but if you check them you'll see that they remain as JPEG files. Similarly if you look at Nero's packet writing software you'll see that it doesn't allow you to alter the text, ie you have to pay for a better version to access all these features.

3. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,607
    I can only relay my experiences.
    Using Nero, I select to create a VCD. Names are kept at 8.3.
    And I just drag and drop my 1600x1200 jpgs into the Nero window and cut the CD. Works perfectly on a couple of cheapo DVD player we have. Picture quality is outstanding too.

4. cutes6

cutes6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Still no joy and its getting very annoying !!! what am I doing wrong. I tried to burn another couple of disks and even tried a cdrw disk but no joy.even though the dvd player recognises it as a vcd disk.

I checked what the file properties of the pictures were after being burn't and they came up as dat files is this correct ?

I have downloaded the tmpgenc software but can't work out how to convert jpeg into mpeg1 for vcd I guess I am just being thick.

I have also been to the vcdhelp.com site and it would appear according to their advice for nero I am doing everything ok and your experience Stuart seems that it,s so easy to do.

I have tried different media and tried burning at a slower 8x so I am struggling with this one - can anyone help me please as I have pictures of recent trips to South Africa and New York that the whole family want to see on my projector and they are all cursing me as the whole point of getting the the new camera was for this very reason - help please !!!!!!!

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,021
    The .dat extension IS correct for the files on a VCD.

You only need TMPGENC for movies - for that job it is the best converter I've ever seen. Nero SHOULD be all you need for jpg stills.

I don't know what your problem is. I took about 170 .jpg stills and simply dragged them onto a VCD layout in Nero 5.5, burnt the disc, and got a sequence of stills playable in both my DVD players.

Silly question...... you have pressed the DVD player's "next" button, haven't you?

6. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Cutes6

The .dat extension is correct, and TNPGEnc is not reqired for stills.

In principle what you are doing should work.

I have a 636 and used it with cd-r's and cd-rw's created with Nero 5.5. However after some later updates to 5.5 the created VCD's (albeit movies) would not play on the 636. After much correspondence with Ahead about Nero I gave up and changed to EasyCD. Unfortunately, EasyCD does not allow stils to be used for VCD's (which is not a problem for me as I use Studio 7 to make slide shows).

If you can, try the discs in a different player.