1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with V/S 7 & Studio 8

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Northerner, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Northerner

Northerner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been using MM2 up to now but I've loaded the 2 trial versions of Ulead Video Studio 7 & Pinnacle Studio 8, which came with this months DVME.

At the moment I'm capturing old analogue footage but V/S 7 locks up as soon as I hit Capture and Studio 8 seems to only be able to recognise a digital input. I'm waiting for a new PC with Firewire and I guess then I'll be able to use Studio 8 OK but I really would like to be able to capture and edit the old analogue stuff.

Am I stuck with MM2 which is OK but I don't want to be switching between programmes - I would like one that does the full monty.

Any suggestions - thanks:confused:

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know about Pinnacle but I use UVS7 to regularly capture both digital and analogue video (and to record Television direct )
    must be some sort of conflict going on with your PC

When you say 'locks up' can you perhaps elaborate a little.

3. Northerner

Northerner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Beejaycee

Preview window freezes and programme goes into "not responding" mode. I'm using the default settings and trying to capture in AVI format - does that help?

4. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :confused: :confused: :confused:

In your first post you said you were capturing analogue and complained that Pinnacle would only capture digital, yet in your second post you say you are trying to capture in UVS7 in .AVI.

We need to go back a step,

What are you using to play your analogue footage ???

How have you connected that device to your PC. ????

Are you converting your analogue to digital somehow - Through camcorder ??, with stand alone converter ??

If you are not capturing a digital video you cannot use AVI, you need to change to MPEG and under 'Capture' >>> Options (Cog Wheel) >>> 'Video Capture Property Settings' change the 'Input Source' to 'Composite or S-Video depending on what your doing.

5. Northerner

Northerner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Beejaycee :eek: I've confused you

I have only managed to capture on MM2 so far. All attempts with VS7 and Studio 8 have failed. I am running the analogue footage from an elderly 8MM camcorder connected to the PC through a Hauppauge WinTV card and that works well in all respects.

As far as Studio 8 is concerned, that's a complete "no go" as it will only capture digital video - is that correct? I have digital camera as well but no firewire card - that's coming on a new PC which is due to arrive shortly, so no real worries there - yet!

As you know, the default setting in VS7 is AVI which is incorrect for analogue capture but when I to change it to MPEG using the gearwheel as you suggest, the footage runs OK in the preview window but as soon as I attempt to "Start Capture" (the little flashing camera) the preview window freezes and the programme stops responding.

That's about as clear as I can make it

6. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I said prviously I have never used Pinnacle so can't offer any advice there.

In UVS7 you need to set MPEG in the 'Format' Box which is the third line down on the 'Capture' Window, Then go to the cog wheel and choose "Video Capture Property Settings" and make sure in there that it says 'PAL' and 'Composite Video' also click the radio button for what you want to do with your video (DVD, VCD, SVCD etc. )
    Incidentally while in that "Video Capture Property Settings" if I choose Video Tuner and then select channels at right I can watch and capture TV within UVS7 (Obviously need aerial in TV card)

If UVS7 still freezes with those settings then it suggests there is some conflict going on in your PC and you may need some expert PC knowledge to sort it out.

As I said what you want to do - capture analogue - edit it - and burn disc is all possible in UVS7 because I do it all the time, so there is a solution and I wish I could give it to you.