1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with US TV for watching sky & DVD

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by ziglar, Apr 30, 2004.

1. ziglar

ziglar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    With the cost of very large Rear Projection TV's and DLP TV's in the US being a lot lower that in the UK what are the pitfalls in importing one of these for mainly watching DVD's and sky?

Stuart

2. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

As far as I'm aware, the vast majority of US tv's aren't compatible with PAL signals.

Your viewing on one of these sets will be limited to region 1 NTSC dvd's only. Any form of PAL signal, whether it be dvd, analogue or digital broadcasts, won't work on an imported US tv.

3. ruskie

ruskie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You will though be able to watch any RGB sources. Sky/DVD both can give an RGB output that you will be able to view. The RGB outputs will be decoded and so it doesn't matter whether you view on a PAL or NTSC set. Composite outputs will be coded PAL and not useable. The 50/60Hz difference in field rate is unlikely to a problem with newer designs and so a 60Hz set will almost certainly lock to 50Hz.

4. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Virtually no American tv's will accept an interlaced RGB signal, so the option to watch broadcast tv through this input isn't an option.

5. ziglar

ziglar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    just so I understand - if I use the RGB out from either my sky box or dvd player then I can feed a US TV with no issues in PQ at all?

But I can't use composite or presumably component outputs for this?

I'm not too sure how 'interlaced' fits into this equation - if my DVD player outputs an interlaced signal via RGB, does this mean I can't use a US TV? How do I know if my DVD player outputs interlaced or not?

Thanks

Stuart

6. fatbob

fatbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A television from the US won't accept an RGB signal, so you won't be able to watch any form of PAL broadcast.

The only thing you could watch on an imported US set would be NTSC dvd's.