1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with TX32PS12, considering 32FX68...

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by BaldyHead, Oct 13, 2003.

1. BaldyHead

BaldyHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I just bought a Panasonic TX32PS12 on price match from JL. I had been considering the Sony 32FX68, but I reckoned the Panny had more features (and looked a bit better in the shop). I was aware of some of the potential problems with the TX32PS12, but thought the only way I could really check it out was If I just bought one and gave it a try at home.

When the picture is good, it's really good (if a little artificial). But when it's bad, it's really bad.

Another post was talking about a band running down the middle of the picture. With mine, having fiddled with the contrast etc, I now realise that the right-half of the screen is lighter than the left-half. It is most noticable when the camera is panning during darker scenes. It also sometimes has two brighter vertical bands at the left of the screen and towards the right of the screen.

The other major problem is that on the first night I had it, whilst watching a DVD, the screen flashed, made a loud clicking noise and the whole set switched itself into standby mode!

Another annoyance is that the auto aspect switching isn't very good. Even when watching a wide-screen DVD, the screen sometimes switches aspect for no apparent reason. Although I can get round this by manually switching the aspect, it's still annoying.

I have decided that it's got to go back, and I would like to swap it for another make (I think most of the Panasonics in this range have the same tube). I am re-considering the Sony 32FX68 - but I don't want to change one TV with problems with another one that has a different set of problems.

Can anyone give any thoughts on the 32FX68? I don't want to spend any more money than the Sony, and I don't want any fancy pixel processing, as I think that's half the Panny's trouble.

Thanks!

2. pclarke

pclarke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I had a Pansonic PS1, well three actually and then a Sony FX68. The FX68 was alot better, with good geometry and convergence but I found the picture flickered too much. Try it out in the shops and you will see that it is little better than a 50hz and when displaying logos is worse. I got this changed too.

I am now the proud owner of a Sony 32FQ70 which has near perfect geometry and gives a very good picture (as long as you are not watching analogue). This is not a problem for me as I have digital. My only minor gripe is that there is a slight smear of red on logos but this is not very noticable and does not spoil the picture.

Personally I think the 'cheaper' Panasonics are poor. All three of mine had poor convergence and the geometry was only fair. Although it sometimes gave a very good picture, the mentioned problems were too much to live with.

Does you PS12 have crap convergence to the left of the screen?Use the THX optimiser if you have a DVD with it on to check.

Happy hunting. By the way John Lewis get my vote :smashin:

Pclarke