Problems with TVLink Magic Eye

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by jonhead34, Mar 15, 2005.

1. jonhead34

jonhead34
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all

I see there are other people on this forum having problems setting up a TVLink to a second TV, so I thought I'd add mine into the mix!

I recently bought a TVLink, so to set it up I ran coaxial cable from my RF out 2 socket of my Sky Box, connected the TVLink to it and configured RF output from the Sky box as advised in the manual. Before taking it upstairs to my second TV, I tested it by plugging the TVLink into ariel socket of the main TV, which is connected directly to the Sky box, the LED came on and it worked a treat.

Confidently, I ran the cable upstairs to the second TV, plugged it into the ariel socket, but got no life out of it whatsoever - LED didn't come on. Back to the main TV again - works perfectly.

From this I conclude that there's nothing wrong wth the way I've configured the Sky box, the TVLink or the coaxial cable, so what is the problem? It appears that no power is getting to the TVLink?

Any advice or suggestions would be most welcome!

Thanks for reading my post.

Jon

2. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    Could be one or both of the following.

1) your tv outlet in the other room is ISOLATED. This means that the DC power is blocked by the outlet. Its a safety reason.

2) The centre conductor on the cable between the RF2 and the other room is not making an electrical contact and therefore not carrying the power you need.

Oooooooo!

Just thought of the third, that came to light on another thread.

3) If you have any other outlets in the property, if yes is there anything connected to it?

Chances are you have a basic splitter somewhere in the property and the other points are shorting out the power. You either need to fit extra eyes to the other points or find and remove that splitter.

3. jonhead34

jonhead34
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Vex and everyone who has read my post!

I think I can eliminate the third possibility, but how can I test if the first or second suggestion from Vex's post are the cause? Also, how can they be rectified.

Sorry - I know I'm hopeless! Recently bought my first house so all this is new to me!!

Thanks again!

Jon

4. Parklife

Parklife

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    You will need to get a splitter that passes the 9V through. As vex said you probably have a passive splitter (probably in the loft) which is distributing to all rooms.

I had the same problem and got myself a loftbox from satcure and all was fixed.

5. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +325
    Jon - is the picture OK? Clear, not 'grainy'? Is the cable straight through? Yes? If so -

You will need to crimp the centre of the coax plugs on both ends to ensure a good connection to the centre core of the coax. You may have perfect pictures but the 9V DC from the box will be missing if this connection isn't 100%.

You're welcome.

A. Dork