Problems with sub and MCACC

vallhall

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey

I running a set of kef 3005 and the sub, but i have realy big problems with MCACC. The mcacc sets the subs far to high and sounds muddled and distortion, its sounds terrible. I turned the volume down but its still not perfect.

I also have frontstanders, but had to replace them with the small keffs because of a blown tweeter. Then i ran mcacc with the floorstanders and withouth the sub it sounds great and i had no issues.

I am sure the audyssey multi xt32 would have helped me alot here as it calibrate the subs opposite the to mcacc

Thanks in advance

What crossover frequency has the reciever set the speakers too? Is it the Kef sub that you have? Where is it located in the room? What were your old speakers before the Kefs.

Not sure about your system, but I assume you can have manual override. You use your system, not the engineers who designed the MCACC. If you don't like it, ditch it and do it your way.

What crossover frequency has the reciever set the speakers too? Is it the Kef sub that you have? Where is it located in the room? What were your old speakers before the Kefs.

Thanks for your time

The crossover is 100. I use the 3005 kef sub yes. The sub is located ca 0.5 meter from the backwall.

My floorstanders is Infinity kappa 600 with a "10" sidewoofer

Not sure about your system, but I assume you can have manual override. You use your system, not the engineers who designed the MCACC. If you don't like it, ditch it and do it your way.

Thanks for your reply

Yes you could always overide the system, but paying for an flagship amp i expect better:(

What receiver do you have?
What is the gain set too on the back of the sub? What is the sub level set too in the receiver?
Have you tried positioning the sub somewhere else in the room?

What receiver do you have?
What is the gain set too on the back of the sub? What is the sub level set too in the receiver?
Have you tried positioning the sub somewhere else in the room?

Pioneer LX 85

I havent adjust the gain in the sub, so its on 0. The sub level is -9.5.

No because i have a very little room now and a short cable i havent change the position of the sub

The sub is at -9.5 and your saying its set too high?

I am a little confused here?

Two things spring to mind, i) subwoofer placement is pretty critical, is your sub in a corner? MCACC can only do so much, if the sub is set to -9.5 then I suspect you're getting too much "gain" from the hard surfaces in your room, particularly if the sub is in a corner, solution try moving the sub away from the corner and / or walls generally. ii) If at all possible set all the speakers to the same level (using a Sound Pressure Level if you can get one), some people set the sub a couple of db below the rest, 73db for instance and all the other speakers at 75db, and then run MCACC,

I have the LX81 and a BK Monolith subwoofer, the only "correction" I have on my system is MCACC following SPL setting, I haven't fiddled with my set up for a year now because it is so right (for me).

Head over to the subwoofer section on these forums, lots of very smart helpful people there, chances are someone can get you sorted.

Two things spring to mind, i) subwoofer placement is pretty critical, is your sub in a corner? MCACC can only do so much, if the sub is set to -9.5 then I suspect you're getting too much "gain" from the hard surfaces in your room, particularly if the sub is in a corner, solution try moving the sub away from the corner and / or walls generally. ii) If at all possible set all the speakers to the same level (using a Sound Pressure Level if you can get one), some people set the sub a couple of db below the rest, 73db for instance and all the other speakers at 75db, and then run MCACC,

I have the LX81 and a BK Monolith subwoofer, the only "correction" I have on my system is MCACC following SPL setting, I haven't fiddled with my set up for a year now because it is so right (for me).

Head over to the subwoofer section on these forums, lots of very smart helpful people there, chances are someone can get you sorted.

I'm not sure that you are aware that the MCACC calibration discards any settings you enter prior to running it. Altering the levels and manually calibrating the amp prior to running MCACC is a pointless exercise. Also note that the sub or rather the LFE level is actually greater than the other channels so the subs level shouldn't be set lower than the other speakers.

I'd personally suggest you relocate the sub. If at the back of the room then it isn't ideally positioned. I'd suggest you consider placing it one third the way up the room from the front and alongside a side wall, either this or at the front inbetween the front main speakers. I'd lastly suggest you place it to the outside of the left or right speaker, but not if this places it in a corner.

You can usually find the best location by placing the sub where you sit and then crawling around the room until you hear the best results from the sub. You'd then locate the sub where you were crawling when you heard it at its best.

I'm not sure that you are aware that the MCACC calibration discards any settings you enter prior to running it. Altering the levels and manually calibrating the amp prior to running MCACC is a pointless exercise. Also note that the sub or rather the LFE level is actually greater than the other channels so the subs level shouldn't be set lower than the other speakers.

Oops, my bad, still we agree moving the sub may provide a positive benefit. And I would still suggest going to the Subwoofer section.

For reference, I have the same speakers and an LX56 and mine doesnt exhibit this problem.
In fact, I always have to turn the sub up about 3db to get it how I want it.

For reference, I have the same speakers and an LX56 and mine doesnt exhibit this problem.
In fact, I always have to turn the sub up about 3db to get it how I want it.

Thanks for your time

Think its the room, its very little. Never had problem with this before in larger rooms

Many thanks for your reply

Thanks for your advice and help. Your right about the surfaces, its hard and i have no carpets on the floor

I'd personally suggest you relocate the sub. If at the back of the room then it isn't ideally positioned. I'd suggest you consider placing it one third the way up the room from the front and alongside a side wall, either this or at the front inbetween the front main speakers. I'd lastly suggest you place it to the outside of the left or right speaker, but not if this places it in a corner.

You can usually find the best location by placing the sub where you sit and then crawling around the room until you hear the best results from the sub. You'd then locate the sub where you were crawling when you heard it at its best.

Thanks for your time

Many thanks for your advice. Will try that later. I now also have a receiver with audyssey multeq xt32, just to test out, and alittle better... but still to much bass, even if audyssey set the sub lower than the Pio...(-10.5)it HAS to be the room, its very little and overcrowed of furniter and other things

PS: sorry for my english:rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom