• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

problems with sport

dts_boy

I apologise if this is a repeat thread but as there are soooo many threads on the Panny g10 range i couldn't find it.
Right, i have a panaosnic 50" g10 plasma which overall i love and have had for appprox a year now.
What i have noticed is with sport, football more specifically, the picture seems to struggle to keep up with the action and is very noticable on the HD channels.
I noticed this when i bought it but as i don't watch sport too much it didn't bother me too much.
As the world cup is on i am watching a lot more and i have to admit it was annoying watching the England game last night (expecially when USA scored!)

is there anything i can do/try or do i have ground to approach costco where i bought it from and ask for it to be looked at or am i being overly fussy?

leicester_boy

I apologise if this is a repeat thread but as there are soooo many threads on the Panny g10 range i couldn't find it.
Right, i have a panaosnic 50" g10 plasma which overall i love and have had for appprox a year now.
What i have noticed is with sport, football more specifically, the picture seems to struggle to keep up with the action and is very noticable on the HD channels.
I noticed this when i bought it but as i don't watch sport too much it didn't bother me too much.
As the world cup is on i am watching a lot more and i have to admit it was annoying watching the England game last night (expecially when USA scored!)

is there anything i can do/try or do i have ground to approach costco where i bought it from and ask for it to be looked at or am i being overly fussy?

try turning intelligent frame creation off.

andyjack

Hi this is a major problem with Plasma I have bought the VT20 3d Panasonic it is useless @ fast camera movements, football is a nightmare.

IFC off is the culprit IFC on is better but then you get motion artefacts.

Very disappointed with Panasonic Plasma.

:mad:

dts_boy

i suspected this may be the case.
I moved from a fujitsu plasma and wish i didn't but its too late now - i will have to sell the set to my sister and buy something else instead!

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
Hi this is a major problem with Plasma I have bought the VT20 3d Panasonic it is useless @ fast camera movements, football is a nightmare.

IFC off is the culprit IFC on is better but then you get motion artefacts.

Very disappointed with Panasonic Plasma.

:mad:

Clearly there must be an issue with your particular set because it simply is not normal for plasma to be like that. In fact movement is one of the big plusses for plasma. On my set (and my previous V10) there is & was totally fluid smooth action on moving items, due mainly to the ultra fast response time which is a fraction of what an LCD can achieve. I would not agree about IFC (nor would most Panasonic owners) like most "enhancements" by most manufacturers this just makes things worse & is best left off.:)

mrsmr2

I think it depends what you are used to. Plasma might be great compared to LCD but I've just gone from a CRT to a G20. The G20 can't compare with my CRT for smoothness of motion, whether it's football or tennis ball movement.

My understanding is that the plasmas display at 100Hz (for 50Hz broadcast) so a theory is that it might be an artefact from that, and something we can't turn off unlike IFC.

I also have the following problem which has been posted in the G20 thread:
"Chromatic Abberation? Another explanation is that it reminds me of the old fashioned 3d images with one green and one red image. Panning an image splits the images but it's not just a double image, the images have less colour so the effect is strange." This may or may not be posterisation.

Andyjacks' comment might be related to my problem.

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
I think it depends what you are used to. Plasma might be great compared to LCD but I've just gone from a CRT to a G20. The G20 can't compare with my CRT for smoothness of motion, whether it's football or tennis ball movement.

My understanding is that the plasmas display at 100Hz (for 50Hz broadcast) so a theory is that it might be an artefact from that, and something we can't turn off unlike IFC.

I also have the following problem which has been posted in the G20 thread:
"Chromatic Abberation? Another explanation is that it reminds me of the old fashioned 3d images with one green and one red image. Panning an image splits the images but it's not just a double image, the images have less colour so the effect is strange." This may or may not be posterisation.

Andyjacks' comment might be related to my problem.

Prior to Plasma I had a great LCD & before that always had top end Sony CRT's & I can honestly say I have never seen better motion than the two plasmas I have had. You also have to consider that you would never get a 50" CRT let alone an HD one :D

What you are describing sounds more like phosphor trails? that said I am lucky enough not to see those either but apparently they are worse when gaming & since I don't game :) I don't think it sounds like posterization, I have seen this on many sets with low bitrate channels & it's very distinct.

mrsmr2

Intrigued that you say Plasma is better. I do see trails on my CRT as well - but nowhere near like what I see on the Plasma. However, that aspect is not a big deal. I will sacrifice slighly larger trails for a HD picture any day.

With regard to posterisation, I'm not sure if that is what I'm seeing or not. Could well be phosphor trails - although they don't streak, it's more like the colour drains out of the image during panning. It's a tv thing rather than bit rate of the source.

Still, it's early days. The TV has to settle down, I have to mess with contrast and colours, and I have to work out what processing needs to be on and off (mostly everything is off). I've never seen good picture processing on any TV before. IFC seems wierd, makes everything look surreal and introduces artefacts so that's off.

I'm taking my rgb cable round to my G10 owning mate to see if his does the same thing, or if it's my tv.

Really don't want to return it.

paulr2006

Distinguished Member
Intrigued that you say Plasma is better. I do see trails on my CRT as well - but nowhere near like what I see on the Plasma. However, that aspect is not a big deal. I will sacrifice slighly larger trails for a HD picture any day.

With regard to posterisation, I'm not sure if that is what I'm seeing or not. Could well be phosphor trails - although they don't streak, it's more like the colour drains out of the image during panning. It's a tv thing rather than bit rate of the source.

Still, it's early days. The TV has to settle down, I have to mess with contrast and colours, and I have to work out what processing needs to be on and off (mostly everything is off). I've never seen good picture processing on any TV before. IFC seems wierd, makes everything look surreal and introduces artefacts so that's off.

I'm taking my rgb cable round to my G10 owning mate to see if his does the same thing, or if it's my tv.

Really don't want to return it.

I have to agree about all these precessing "enhancements" I don't think I have seen a good one yet (from any manufacturer) that does not add some kind of artefacts. Yes agree IFC is very strange, IMO the more you can turn off the better :)

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member

Had mine for over a year now. Ive definitely not noticed any problems with football SD or HD. All the world cup games have looked great in HD - except one. Can you guess which one?! Yep - the england game!

The match broke up at the crucial point and went to an advert as well documented elsewhere (I wont repeat the language in my living room when this happened :mad:). Transmission then went HD then SD for most of the first half and SD all the second half. Not impressed!

Ive seen trailing or judder sometimes on films, not all films and not that frequently. Most films never show it as far as I can tell. Never had any trouble like that on a football game though.

EDIT - never seen any kind of trailing/judder etc whilst gaming. Or when watching other people game on my set or my old PX60 (or my brother's new S10 come to that).

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom