1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with Sony STR DB930!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by robyoung, Dec 1, 2003.

Tags:
  1. robyoung

robyoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Hi all,

wonder if anyone can help, recently ive been having an annoying problem with my amp.

Whenever im watching a DVD (the amps connected through coaxial) every now and then the sound cuts off for a second then comes back on, as if it loses the signal then finds it again. The display goes from saying 'DVD' to either 'dts[3/2]' or 'dd5.1' depending on what it is of course, as if i've just started the DVD!!

It must do this atleast 3 or for times through out the whole film and i cant reckognise any pattern (loud parts etc)

its fine when im using it with my digibox of gamecube etc.

anyone else had this problem or might know what it is?

any help would be appreciated! thanx!

rob :)

2. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    Try a different coax. It could be a faulty cable. I'm not usually that lucky ;)

Can't remember how many coax sockets the amp has. Could try a different one or maybe connecting with an optical lead?

3. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
    Ratings:
    +227
    robyoung, as JUS says, its most likely a dickie lead. FYI standard audio cables are not 75Ohm and tend to drop audio from time to time, so obviously a dedicated coaxial digital cable is required for this job. You will most likely however get one audio dropout per movie with the Sony amp (DVD layer change). I've had the last 3 models and had a slight audio delay upon layer change, but nothing to complain about!:)

4. robyoung

robyoung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    hi thanx, fo the info, will pop to richer sounds and get another cable then, see if i have any luck.

yeah, im used to having the layer change for a split second (some dvds better than others) i believe the picture also freezes for a 2nd, but now i have at least 3 interuptions with every dvd i watch !!

cheers rob

5. jipsta

jipsta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BIG :hiya: to everyone here, just joined.

I seem to be experiencing what I think is a similar prob with my very recently purchased STR DB930 reciever. Not being a AV techy I will try me best to describe the prob in situ.

THE SITU...

I have my PC, DVD & CD Player running through it. The CD Player (Technics SL-PG590) has half decent interconnects (gold looking plugs and chunky wires). The PC has a cheap phono to 3.5mm jack which goes into my sound card (Soundblaster 5.1 Live). The DVD player (Cyberhome CH400) is also connected with a cheap, bog standard phono to phono cable like the ones below.
    [​IMG]
    I am connected in analogue and am running the reciever in 2ch mode as I only have 2 front speakers :eek: ...(unless u count the TV as a "center") :rolleyes:

THE PROB...

Whilst watching a DVD, I experienced 2 sec's of white noise coming from the speakers, visuals stayed fine. Next day when I was listening to music from my PC, I heard the same thing a few times randomly. On one of these occasions I glanced at the display which was now reading "WEAK SIGNAL" and then 2 sec's later it returned to "COMPUTER" (which is what I named the channel).

I bought the Reciever on Ebay from a very reputable seller and it appears to be in excellent condition externally and I'm hoping that someone here can help ease my worrying mind, and that this is a "cable" thing, and not a fault in the reciever.

Kind Regards,
    jipsta

6. rowlandhills

rowlandhills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Not that much use with your white noise issue on the compute input, but I'd suggest that you connect the DVD through the digital output instead. You can actually use one half of your cheapo interconnect (although as noted earlier in the thread, standard audio cables are not the same impedance as digital ones, so it may not work quite as well as dedicated lead). You then need to set your DVD input to coax-digital, and tell the amp that it doesn't have a centre, surrounds or a sub. It should then decode the audio in as stereo, and will probably sound much better than the Cyberhome player, as the Sony's DACs and other audio circuitry are much better.

7. jipsta

jipsta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I'm not sure if this will help rob here, but I did some reading, and fiddling and I think my prob had something to do with the EON (Enhanced Other Network) function, which allows the receiver to switch to a station broadcasting either traffic announcements, news, or information programs. when such a program starts on a station networking with the preset RDS station, the receiver automatically tunes in the station. Afer the program finishes it switches back. To select the type of announcement required, repeatedly press the EON function button (behind the flipdown door) and it will cycle through as follows:

TA---> NEWS ---> INFO ---> OFF

I have left it off the last few days and it hasn't interfered with watching any DVD's etc... I might use it if im listening to the radio and want to be tuned into the next available news program (whatever station it happens to be on).

would like to hear if you've sorted your prob rob :smashin:

8. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    This seems like the most likley cause ,just try spinning the plug on the socket ,i have had this before with a loose fitting plug.