problems with sky picture quality

S

Spuddy

hi there
I have sky +(pace box) connected to Panasonic 37" plasma tv.
I am having problems with picture quality when watching mainly outside broadcasts such as sky sports especially football.
There appears to be a general fuzzyness around the players mainly around their heads, its ok when the camera is in closeup but quite bad when it zooms out.
Its not square pixilation more like picture noise.
I also find the picture quality on ITV poor(same problem)
Sky have changed the box but it made no difference. Is this a normal thing with digital? The signal strength and quality are quite good.

SamRadford

This is normal with compressed SD pictures intended for viewing on a 24" screen.

S

Spuddy

hi there Sam
thanks for your help.
I am not sure what it means but I assume that any sky broadcasts shown on a screen larger than 24" will suffer from this problem.
Will sky HD help I know ITV is not in HD but I read somewhere that non HD programs are upscaled to give a better picture.
Or am I living in cloud cuckoo land

Spuddy

What connection are you using between the sky box and the tv?

What quality cables are you using?

S

Spuddy

hi there 961
The tv and sky box are connected with gold plated scart cables and the sky box is set to RGB I have tried changing the setting to PAL but it makes no difference.
Spuddy

All these discussions about picture quality are very subjective. One person's fantastic picture is regarded by another as poor and so we talk in generalities here

A well set up sky box and dish should get min 50% bar on signal strength and 75% on quality. Many get much more, different makes vary. It should be possible these days to find another box to try for an hour from a friend who has just got hd for example and still has the old box and card

Panny plasma give good pictures when well set up even though they don't have the full 1080 lines. You can get a dvd set up disc to ensure yours is properly set

Try some alternative cables even though what you have should be fine, just to eliminate the possibility of a fault. As you say RGB should give the best picture

While testing make sure all the other electronic detritous is switched off or moved away. Speakers for example are notorious for introducing little quirks and fuzzes, aerial boosters, hi-fi cables and the rest. Disconnect the rf aerial loop through on the sky box and shift the co-ax cable out of the road

It's widely felt that a sky hd box improves the sd picture quality. Mine certainly does, but it would be nice to eliminate all the other possibilities before going to that expense (unless you're just after the excuse of course!)

S

Spuddy

thanks for your help.
you are correct about picture quality being subjective when I first had my panny it was like being in the cinema but after a while you get fussy over picture quality.
I will try your suggestions to ensure that my sky box is correctly set up.
I think your are also correct about trying to convince myself that hd is the way to go.
You mentioned a dvd to make sure my panny is set up correctly any idea where I would get that from.
Cheers
Spuddy.

"Digital Video Essentials" is the one I have

Obviously you need a dvd player to use the disk

Amazon has them, others may have them cheaper

You don't necessarily need to buy a new copy:)

S

Spuddy

Thanks very much,
I will try that and let you know how I get on.

Spuddy

RayP

hi there 961
The tv and sky box are connected with gold plated scart cables and the sky box is set to RGB I have tried changing the setting to PAL but it makes no difference.
Spuddy

Spuddy,

Before you buy a copy of that DVD can you confirm that switching between RGB and PAL on Sky makes no difference to the PQ? Selecting RGB should make a substantial difference over PAL (composite) which is the lowest quality available.

What make of Scart cable are you using? Just because it is gold plated it doesn't necessarily equate to a quality cable. I paid £45 for my QED and together with the JS-Tech box and VGA cable I get an excellent SD picture from Sky.

Make sure the Scart is plugged into a RGB-enabled Scart input on the PX70. If not you could be viewing a non-RGB picture which would explain why switching between RGB and PAL on Sky offers no picture improvement.

100rpm

Standard Member
Hi,

I have this problem on my Panny TX-32LXD70 LCD when watching football and cricket even on HD as well as SD. When watching 'Match of the Day' yesterday, the players looked all blocky and pixelated. In the end I turned the tv off and watched the programme on my 14" CRT.

I thought the blurring/ghosting around the outline of the players was a fault with the tv. I'm really disappointed because I bought this tv based on the excellent reviews it had from many sources.

I have an engineer coming on Tuesday to have a look at the telly, but after reading this post it may not be the tv after all.

Regards

Paul

RayP

Hi,

I have this problem on my Panny TX-32LXD70 LCD when watching football and cricket even on HD as well as SD. When watching 'Match of the Day' yesterday, the players looked all blocky and pixelated. In the end I turned the tv off and watched the programme on my 14" CRT.

If the problem has suddenly appeared then get the set checked over by all means. Pixellated images are indicative of a poor signal. Do you have a DVD player that you can plug into the same Scart as Sky? If the picture is okay then it points to a poor signal or a mis-aligned dish.

I thought the blurring/ghosting around the outline of the players was a fault with the tv. I'm really disappointed because I bought this tv based on the excellent reviews it had from many sources.

The discussion on this thread has been about plasma PQ. LCD is a different kettle of fish and can be prone to the problems you describe. But it sounds to me as though you have a poor signal. Check the signal strength via the menu of your satellite box. I'm assuming you're a Sky customer. PQ via HD should be excellent on a LCD. They're normally a bit iffy with SD images but not HD.

H

headdabaw

Hi Spuddy,

I found this out a couple of weeks ago and it might help you out.

Check to make sure your sky box is set to RGB and then make sure that the scart control is set to On. Mine was off for ages and when i put it on it made an undelieveable difference.

S

Spuddy

HI there
in reply to RayP,100rpm and Headdabaw.
what I really meant when I said that switching RGB to PAL making no difference was that it didn`t improve the picture it did make it worse.The scart cable is a Tech Link flat cable cost me about £30, everthing is connected properly.The signal quality and strength varies from about just over half to three quarters.
The sky box is set to RGB and set to on.
I have removed all other cables that could be causing interference but it makes no difference to the PQ.
Ref 100 rpm watching match of the day on his CRT,I find the picture when watching in anologue is ok so I wonder if it is something to do with digital programming although I know that digital is supposed to be brilliant.obviously you can`t get sky on anologue.
I do not think it is anything to do with my cableing or my panny because I have recorded footy direct from the sky box onto DVD and played it back on a different TV and the blurring/ghosting is still on the recorded picture.
I am at a loss. Could it simply be that watching SD pictures on a large panel tv shows up the imperfections of the picture more?

spuddy

RayP

HI there
in reply to RayP,100rpm and Headdabaw.
what I really meant when I said that switching RGB to PAL making no difference was that it didn`t improve the picture it did make it worse.The scart cable is a Tech Link flat cable cost me about £30, everthing is connected properly.The signal quality and strength varies from about just over half to three quarters.

Signal strength sounds fine. Quality is more important than strength. Everything looks okay in terms of connections and settings.

I find the picture when watching in anologue is ok so I wonder if it is something to do with digital programming although I know that digital is supposed to be brilliant.obviously you can`t get sky on anologue.

If analogue is giving you a better picture than digital then something is wrong. Digital should give a cleaner picture with less noise. It's very difficult to analyse this kind of problem without seeing the set. Try taking your recorded DVD to your retailer and see if the PQ is similar to yours.

Could it simply be that watching SD pictures on a large panel tv shows up the imperfections of the picture more?

Any large screen will show imperfections in the picture. 14" CRT portables always had a great picture! But Panny's are amongst the better plasmas so you should be getting a decent picture. See how the DVD looks on a retailer plasma.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom