problems with sky digital

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by puc, Sep 4, 2003.

1. puc

puc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    i'm having problems with some channels, the image pixelates, freezes then i get the "no satellite signal is being received" message. this is mostly the bbc channels but also some others. in a few minutes it comes back then it goes. i've noticed it mostly happens at night, mostly. and i've got trees in the line of sight in my neighbours garden.

i've re-aligned the dish to no effect.

so i'm thinking of calling sky out. question is this, will they:

1. move the dish to a location i choose avoiding the trees
    2. sort out the loss of signal

all for the £65 call out fee?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The £65 call out should cover all parts and labour to get your system up and running even if that does mean moving the dish from a location which could be at the root of your problems.
    Any concerns just check with SKY CS when you book the call out making sure they understand the potential problem and don't sign off on anywork until you are satisfied.

3. norderney

norderney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Bear in mind that all the BBC channels have moved to the ASTRA 2D satellite. This satellite has a much smaller footprint and is intended to cover just the UK and Ireland with a standard size dish. So it would certainly appear to be a problem with your dish and/or its alignment.

The BBC moved its channels to this satellite so that it could broadcast free to air without the need to a viewing card, but in doing this needed to switch to Astra 2D to stop its channels from being viewed in Europe. Although people in Europe who still want to watch the BBC are just buying bigger dishes !!!!!

The other Astra satellites and Eurobird which SkyDigital broadcasts from all have a very large footprint covering most of Europe, so a slightly misaligned dish will not be such a problem with the non BBC channels.

Best to move the dish away from trees as well !!!!!!!!

Hope this helps.

Andrew Smith