Problems with Sky Can i cancel ?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by prettyflyguy, Feb 9, 2005.

1. prettyflyguy

prettyflyguy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi ,Our sky dish wasblown off line by high winds about 3rd Jan, So we phoned sky to let them know the dish on our roof needed to be realigned so they arranged for an engineer visit on 2nd Feb.Engineer arrived on said date only to inform me that he wasnt qualified to go onto the roof??
    So he arranged another date for a visit by yet another engineer 16th Feb :mad: Over a month to get a dish realigned?? Been with sky for about 5 months,still paying for a service i cannot recieve(sky world package) can i cancel due to the amount of time this is taking? Or at least get some sort of compensation?? Thanks for your help :smashin:

2. Gillsfan

Gillsfan
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I almost had exactly the same problem. My dish was blown off on the 7th Jan. The engineer they sent couldnt go on our roof & eventually they sent out an engineer who basically said it would probably happen again and I had to cancel our service.

We were only with them for six months, but they did cancel our service without any charges & we got to keep they equipment.

You can definately get a credit for your lack of service, if the engineer states it may happen again then you can cancel with no charges as I did. You wont get any compensation, as they would call it an " act of god ".

Im now faced with the prospect of going back to Telewest :eek:(

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    There are health and safety rules that prevent a "normal" installer from working above 30feet(?) and/or on a roof.
    Who installed the dish in that location?

For non-standard installs SKY use a special heights team (so I have been told) who I expect have the right equipment and more importantly insurance to work on certain buildings. I assume this second installer 16th) should have be one of them and they will either fix the dish or move it to a better location.

Compensation (moe than a months sub at least)should be asked for considering the downtime and the wait for the repair, no problem there as the dish was I assume fitted by someone supplied or approved by SKY and even should not move in strong winds.
    As for cancellation, well if SKY refuse compensation and/or even mess you around after the second visit I think you would have a good case for leaving with no penalty (repayment of install sudsidy).

Bottom line, there is nothing stopping you getting the work done by an independent sat installer and if the mood take you trying to reclaim the costs from SKY for their less than stellar service.

4. Gillsfan

Gillsfan
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    After thinking about it and dreading Telewest, i phoned a couple of independant installers who are prepared to guarantee the dish install and cover any damages ( all in writing too ) if it does fall off again. Hes going to charge £85.00. Not sure wether to go for it.

When I spoke to Sky about getting an independant to install it and then charge the costs on the refused me point blank. I spoke to managers about the problems that I had and though they were prepared to offer all channels free for a month if I do come back to Sky, but they wouldnt pay for the re-install.