1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with Sky+ 160

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by jhume, Mar 31, 2005.

1. jhume

jhume

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought sky plus 160 about a month ago and have been having a few problems.

I first had a problem with the modem not working at all so we had to call sky to get the machine activated without a call back.

I then found that the recording of sound on the three top movie channels was not working correctly. It would drop out from time to time and was really unmatchable.

I then find on Monday when I came back to switched the sky box on It would not come out of standby. I call sky how when through some procedures with me to try and get the box work. They finally said that I had to send the box back.

My personal view is I think the hard disk as stopped working

Has anyone else had these problem with sky + 160?

2. nathanhill69

nathanhill69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    The audio issue you describe is a known problem unique to the Thomson Sky+ 160 when trying to play back Dolby Digital audio. Sky have been promising a software update since last year that will apparently solve the problem - but when that will happen is anyones guess (Sky CS will tell you it's imminent but they've been saying that for months).

The other issues sound like a duff unit, get a replacement although you're still stuck with the audio problem.

Regards

Nathan

3. MikeNolan

MikeNolan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had a problem with my Sky+ box (not 160) locked in standby. They're coming to replace it. The annoying thing is there is a collection of programs that I have not been able to watch that are now lost. I am concerned about the 160 box, as there haven't been any advertisements lately to promote it, so suspect they are having major problems with them

4. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,813
    Returned my sky+160 after 2 weeks,the drop out of sound on sky movies (1,2,3) used to drive me mad.

5. dubledene

dubledene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why didnt you get sky + then upgrade the drive your self ?? i did it saved myself money and had no problems what so ever

6. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As easy as we all may have found it, if you go ahead and get a sky plus box through sky and then stick a new drive in it, you are voiding any warranty and terms you have with sky, so if you get any similar problems with your regular sky box you have nowhere to turn. I'd say better to whinge at sky until they sort it, or send it back completely and buy a cheap pace box on ebay and upgrade that.

7. jhume

jhume

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to everyone

I suppose I was hoping that if I when for the latest reincarnation of Sky + (ie160) that it would have been more stable. They may have had more time to fix the issue, but I am learning that all sky related produce do not seam to be fully tested before the company releases the hardware and from my experience because they have no major competitors, in areas without cable, the can provide what ever service they like and we have to either have no sky or some sky for some of the time.
    :thumbsdow

8. shoestring25

shoestring25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    if you buy a sky + box and you put a new harddrive in it yes it invalidates the warrenty. but why dont you put the old hard drive in if you have a problem and they need to come out they will be none wiser you have done anything to it.

9. dubledene

dubledene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hardley rocket science well said :clap: :clap:

10. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But chances are that any Sky+ problems will be related to the HDD and changing it back would probably solve any problems at the time