Problems with Sharp Viewcam VL-E620u

cbug07

Novice Member
Hello! Thank you for taking the time to look at my question.
I'm on a mission to convert all my family's old videos from our tapes to digital so they're better safeguarded. I started this project with a camcorder we already had to convert VHS-c tapes using Honestech VHS to DVD 3.0 software and that worked perfectly. I just purchased a used Sharp Viewcam VL-E620u and am trying to convert my 8mm tapes, but I'm having a problem where the video looks fine when you view it from the camcorder itself, but when I try to convert it using my Honestech program the video goes black and white. I'm hoping for any tips, as I'm completely lost and am so frustrated. Thank you in advance!

What I'm Using:
-Sharp Viewcam VL-E620u
-Laptop with Windows 10
-The converter that came with the Honestech VHS to DVD 3.0 program
-Cable that came with camcorder, it has a yellow and white plug on one end and a single black plug on the other that plugs into the camcorder.
-The battery that's in the camcorder is a power charger adapter where it plugs into the wall outlet.

*I have connected the camcorder to the TV and it does work and in color!

cbug07

Novice Member
Is the capture programme set to s-video instead of composite?

Thank you for your reply! I didn't even think to check that! I just checked, and although it has the option to switch between composite and s-video, for some reason the box is grayed out and won't let me switch. I attached a picture to show you.
1591892529147.png

Emerton

If you see colour on a tv using those leads, at least it narrows it down to the capture device. I would test it with another pc, if it still captures B&W it is almost certainly a faulty honestech.

cbug07

Novice Member
If you see colour on a tv using those leads, at least it narrows it down to the capture device. I would test it with another pc, if it still captures B&W it is almost certainly a faulty honestech.

Sorry I took so long to reply. I tested the camera on another computer, and the video from the camcorder wouldn't even show up on the recording screen. Although I don't understand why it's not working with this Sharp Camcorder when the Honestech was working fine with my VHS-c camcorder! Do you have any capture devices that you recommend that aren't too expensive?

Emerton

I use an old Dazzle capture device, although there are many others to choose from. It may be easier to get something like this, which records directly to a micro sd card. (Search Amazon for) 'Video Recorder, 3 inch TFT Screen AV Recorder Portable Audio and Video Converter Support SD Card Real-time Video Capture Recording Player'. You will have to view this on Amazon.uk, not sure how widely available they are in the States.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom