Problems with Sharp Aquos 32" and Sky+

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by TomoUK, Sep 24, 2005.

1. TomoUK

TomoUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have searched around for ages and can not seem to find any answer to my problem so far.

I have Sky + going straight into my Sharp Aquos 32" LCD TV, scart to scart. However, the picture is really terrible. There are no cut-outs but its really, really blurry.

I have a Toshiba 24" LCD and the picture on that from the Sky + box is absolutely fine, crystal clear.

Are there any known issues with this kind of thing or should it work as it is? I contacted the people who installed the Sky and they are trying to sell me a "transcoder" for £200 that will "solve my problem". I think they may just be trying to con me out of £200!

I can give Sharp a call on Monday, but any help would really be appreciated.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Are you connecting the Sharp RGB to RGB, a composite signal may explain the "blurry" image compared to a RGB connection the Tosh may be getting.

If you are then considering the Tosh is fine there must be a fault with the Sharp or it's simply not a good panel.

3. TomoUK

TomoUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. It is RGB set up on both the TV and the Sky + box. I have been through the menus on the TV with none of the picture settings making the image clear.

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Just check the actual scart used on the digibox, only the TV scart carries RGB, the VCR scart is composite.

Do you see a change when switching between RGB and PAL digibox output and what is the s-video connection like?

5. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    of course the picture on the 24 inch will be better than the 32 inch, same picture but stretched, i have a 32 aquos,firstly do you have a good quality scart,it makes a big difference, and as already suggested make sure box tv and sky box are set to rgb,
    just one other point, in the settings menu i have it set to game,as i personally find this the best picture.
    failing that you may have to force a software update on your sky box.

6. JayCee

JayCee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,954
    That isn't going to do anything for the picture :rolleyes:

7. TomoUK

TomoUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your suggestions.

Yes, it is certainly in the TV output, not the VCR one.

The picture certainly is better, it is not the fact that it is squashed. Everything is crystal clear and as it should be.

I have changed the scart lead, and used the same lead when connecting the other TV, so I can rule out the lead (thanks for the suggestion though).
    Yes - both box and TV are set to RGB. I actually have the setting on AUTO which defaults to the "GAME" mode.

I tried the S-Video from the s-video out on the box to the S-Video socket on the TV, but I think the S-Video on the TV is actually an output. Either way, nothing appeared when I used a s-video lead.
    PAL is even fuzzier than the RGB when I change the settings on the box.

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Agreed - that is a silly suggestion. You should never force a software update unless it's really necessary, because doing do carries a risk.

9. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    i did not mean that the picture would be squashed as such, but a bit like enlarging a photograph, the more you enlarge it, then the quality, ie sharpness and colours deplete and the picture becomes grainy, same happens with the pic on your display,

i suggested the software update if all else fails, cannot see its silly as it will happen soon anyway,sky are updating and that is the end of it, you are not given a choice,so tell sky they are silly, i am sure they will listen to you :rolleyes: . can you be sure there is nothing in that update that enhances the picture,i have just had sky plus fitted and the picture is definately a lot clearer,and it was my wife who commented even bofore i saw it,when she pointed this out to the engineer he said the old box was on an old software package,well it has been disconnected from the phoneline, bbefore everyone gets on there high horse and says software updates happen via satelitte think about it, sky want that phone line connected, if you want updates, thats how you will get them, that was from sky tech, and when i spoke to sky regarding another issue.. :lease:

10. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    i know your set is a sharp...what model? as i say mine is ga5e and s.video is input, it was how i used to connect my pc till i got a long enough vga lead.

11. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Sky updates occur about once a year, maybe twice at most. Every time an update occurs, there is a small but significant risk that the update will fail and leave you with a pile of junk. Now, admittedly the risk is very small, but I would be wary about telling people to do it un-necessarily. If I advise people to do an update, I always tell them the risk, so they can make their own decision.

Since neither the mpeg encoding method has changed, nor the signal processing hardware, it's highly unlikely that an update will affect the picture quality.

P.S. Updates come via the satellite, not the telephone line. That's why the on-screen message tells you not to disconnect the dish during the update. It doesn't mention the phone line at all, and a Sky box will happily download a forced update with the phone line disconnected.

12. TomoUK

TomoUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is a LC-32GA5E. I know the quality would be poorer with a larger picture, but this is NOT the case with this. The picture is certainly a whole lot worse on the larger Sharp screen. The picture on the smaller Toshiba is crystal clear and sharp, exactly as it should be.
    Even if I change the picture to be smaller on the Sharp (not fill the whole screen) the quality is still poor.

13. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    your quite right there is a risk, and i should of pointed that out,
    the matter of the update is still a mystery to me i have heard from two sources that work for sky that it is telephone, many people who do not work for sky say its via sattelite,i would like to think the sky guys know. but it is always debated

14. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    that is the same set i have,and my picture quality is very good ,some channels show sign of compression but the main channels, bbc, itv the movies are all crystal, how do dvd look?? and how close to the screen are you sitting, it is suggested between 8 amd 10 ft is ideal.any closer and things start to deteriate, although i do not find this the case

15. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    There's no debate. Updates occur without a phone line connected. I've never had a phone line connected to my Digibox and the software updates itself regularly.

As for TV incompatibility, it's a fact of life. Some sets are simply not compatible with Sky Digiboxes. Anyone buying a new TV should be aware of this. Sometimes it helps if you deselect digital processing and 100Hz scanning (if these are features of your TV). Sometimes you can change the picture settings in the Sky Digibox menu to make a slight improvement. But you may end up exchanging the TV for one that's compatible.

16. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It's quite easy to prove. Disconnect the phone line, and force an update. It works.

17. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    quote" I've never had a phone line connected to my Digibox and the software updates itself regularly."
    thats interesting how can you tell when its been updated???mine does not tell me when its happened, and how do you know it is not via telephone line, i can only go what i have been told ,and when i had a problem i was asked to connect the phone line for 24 hrs so it could be updated,

18. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    fair enough, mabe i will try it,should i be aware of any problems that may arise :rotfl:

19. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    A tell-tale sign is when you switch the box on, and it's on channel 998. I don't want to appear rude, but the people who man Sky's helpdesks are not technically-minded, they read from computer-generated scripts, and it's not unknown for them to improvise and make something up, just to get you off the line. Some engineers just like to hear the sound of their own voices, and come out with total twaddle. There are quite a few good engineers - I have to say that, because a couple of them post on here :cool: :)

20. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Ok that makes sense to me, now lets get back on topic, any joy TomoUK??

21. TomoUK

TomoUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I am sitting about 8 feet away. Have you got your sky plus box plugges straight into the TV via scart, with both set on RGB?
    It seems that I have everything set up the same as you yet I am having no joy! The images still looks bad even quite far away.

22. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    yes i have,it is the pace pvr 1 sky box,have you tried a dvd,just an idea because if that is no good then something within the set or the scart is at fault, if it is then sky box may be giving issues!
    one other thing hour many hours approx has the set been on?

23. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    it may also be worth setting both to pal and see how that looks.

24. TomoUK

TomoUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried both on PAL and it still isn't good. I know the sky is absolutely fine as it works on another TV crystal clear. I haven't tried a DVD though, thats a good idea. I will give it a go.

25. TomoUK

TomoUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have still to try the DVD, but Sharp Aquos technical guy hadn't heard of a transcoder (that someone else recommended) and said it was a good idea to speak to you guys on AV forums ;) He went through with me basically everything you guys have been through with me. It leaves me the option of trying the DVD (will do tomorrow), getting the installation people to try the "transcoder", and if it doesn;t solve the problem, I won't pay them. OR sending it back for repair/replacement and facing a fee from Sharp if nothing is wrong with the unit.

26. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    You've already proved that the TV is at fault.

Have you switched off digital processing and 100Hz scan (if it has these features)?
    What does your TV supplier have to say?

27. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    its fine on a 24 inch, not the 32, bit like enlarging a photo the bigger it gets the poorer it gets.when i swapped my dads 21 inch for my old 28 inch (crts) the picture went from good to unwatchable,only 7 inches but a big difference.
    how did the dvd turn out???

28. s3marc

s3marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I assume that sky is set to 16:9 and not 4:3, sorry if its a stupid question.