Problems with screen flicker on AV

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by markola, Oct 15, 2004.

1. markola

markola

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please help.

I am a nobrainer when it comes to all this stuff and am at a loss.

I bought a scart switcher unit to plug in Sky box, video recorder and PS2 to alleviate all the scart lead mucking about.

I now have a flicker on the AV channel when I watch Sky but this does not occur on PS2 or terrestrail tv channels. If I take the switcher out of the loop then the AV picture does not flicker.

The scart leads are newish and the switcher is brand new. I had this with an old swithcer that a friend leant me so I bought the new one to stop this problem, but no joy.

The set up is: video into skybox; skybox (and therefore video recorder) into switcher input 1; video into switcher input 2; tv into switcher output. I also have another output to my stereo from the switcher unit on phono leads in/outs for good sound when playing ps2 and watching dvds, video and flims.

Can anyone help?

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    No expert on these things but you have said it yourself that without the switcher all the sources do not flicker. As with all things you have cheap splitters/distribution boxes and expensive ones, occasionaly there is good reason for the extra price.
    Have you tried altering the SKY output from RGB or to RGB depending upon what you have it set at now and confirming that if RGB is being used it is being finally fed into a RGB scart on the TV.

3. markola

markola

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the sky box is set for RGB. Not sure what an RGB scart is (d'oh, told you i was a no brainer), how do I recognise ine in the wild? Thanks for the help tho'

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I didn't mean a RGB scart cable, the scart socket on the TV has to be designed to receive a RGB signal, many TV's will have more than one scart socket but perhaps only one will accept a RGB signal while the other/s will be composite.
    Your TV manual should make it clear which scart socket does what.

Have you tried the PAL setting on the digibox, just as an experiment to see if it makes a difference?

5. markola

markola

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think I have it sussed. I have converted all the equipments formats now to RGB (including the switcher) and the flicker seems - repeat seems - to have stopped. Thanks for the info re the RGB scart thingie, I'll check it out.