1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with RPTV from Robert Whyte Ltd

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by jon smith, Dec 17, 2001.

1. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Hi folks

This is my story of purchasing an £1800 RPTV from Robert Whyte Ltd. I would be happy for any opinions on this matter.

--------

I purchased a Samsung 43 inch RPTV from Robert Whyte Ltd back in June. The set took over 5 weeks to arrive, with me constantly chasing for updates from the company. The reason for the delay was that the employee responsible for dispatch at Samsung was on holiday (that's not a joke by the way).

After 2 months I noticed severe convergence issues (with reds particularly) on the TV. Playing ISS on the PS2 results in the country flags being hideously deformed. The picture is also understandly smudged in appearance.

I contacted both Samsung and Robert Whyte and received no reply. On the third attempt I received a reply from Robert Whyte ltd saying an engineer would be dispatched. 2 weeks later with no update I contacted them again. They asked for my address and said an engineer would be sent out. 2 weeks later with no update I contacted again. I received a telephone message from Brian Whyte stating that no representative at Samsung was answering the telephone.

1 week later without an update. I contact Robert Whyte again and am sent a very brief email with a telephone number of a local service supplier. On questioning why it had taken so long for me to be given the number, I received no reply to this question - only that it was "obviously more convenient this way", not convenient to me it isn't.

It is over 7 weeks now since Robert Whyte promised to appoint an engineer to look at my set.

Update, Monday 14/01

Time for an update...

The TV was repaired by a local company, who were very helpful in terms of looking at it and fixing it - had a long chat and they agreed the quality was terrible. Undertook a big repair and gave me the TV back next day.

The reds were much better than they previously (the picture is generally much sharper), but the reds still seem minimally out of line with other colours, maybe a design flaw on the TV?

But, 2 other problems have arisen since then... In general, the picture is worse than before.

1. There is now a large smudge to the centre right of the TV, from a distance it looks like finger prints. On close inspection these are very bright colour blobs (yellow and purpleish - they are finger print size). Also to the left of the screen there are a large number of these blemishes, they aren't as noticeable as the main blob, but because there are so many of them they are very noticeable.

2. The geometry has shifted up and to the left. E.g. with a PS2 RGB feed there is 1 inch black bar at the bottom and at the right of the screen. So, 4:3 material is over to one side and you get larger than usual black bars on 1.85:1 material.

2. Meldrew_Lives

Meldrew_Lives

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sooner or later these e-tailers who are only interested in taking the money and providing zero service are going to get a hard lesson. Am currently in the middle of an equally frustrating experience with QED-UK.

Make sure you know your rights under consumer legislation and exercise them to the full.

3. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Have just received the following reply from Robert Whyte Ltd regarding this thread. You might find this interesting.

"In response to your email, we have been keeping an exact record of your issue. Which we have beeen taking up with the manufacturer, regarding the service cover. May I also point out that the manufacturer,s warranty is quite clear that it is a return to base guarantee. which we and they have provided you with
    I must point out that our company has been in business for 32 years and if we find anything printed or published, that does not represent the full facts or misleads. We shall also take the appropriate action."

What use is a RTB guarantee on a hulking great RPTV, just to sort out convergence. Strange that they have promised an engineer to come out twice now. Would you be prepared to do without your TV after spending £2000?

4. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Make it clear you are not interested from a point of view of warranty (with which the responsibility lies with the re-tailor not the manufacturer anyway). Make it clear that was only two months old, mention the sale of goods act with regard to items being of acceptable quality for a reasonable period of time.

Tell them to balls, all to often they push a warranty in your face. Contact your local trading standards.

5. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Thanks for the reply.

I have been promised an update by Brian Whyte this afternoon, I will let you know how I get on.

6. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With an attitude like RW's, I know where I won't be shopping!

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Delta - that type of threatening attitude is not at all conducive to producing sales !

Haven't they heard of "freedom of speech", or is that something else we've had to give up too !

Cheers
    Daz

8. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,550
    There's freedom of speech and there's libel.
    There was an incident with Robert Whyte and a forum member a while back when said forum member angrily used somewhat colourful language to describe RW.
    However in this thread here I think Jon Smith has kept a level head.
    But it's easy to lose it and start using language which can get you into trouble.
    My personal advise is to NEVER EVER buy a TV mailorder.
    Buy them from a local supplier. It seems that there is no such thing as a perfect TV and looking at all the threads in this forum, it would seem that a fault is going to hapen to every telly sooner or later. Perhaps an exaggeration but at least a local supplier can be visited easily with TV in toe if satisfaction is not given.
    TVs are too big, too expensive and too dodgy to buy mailorder.

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TV's are also too big to take "in toe" to your local supplier ! :0)

In support of what you say, I agree that language should be chosen carefully...though I don't necessarily agree that we should have to.. As long as "one tells the truth" , else let's face it journalists will all be out of a job and they may as well as shut down the tabloids for good ;)

Cheers
    Daz

10. Tony McG

Tony McG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with Spectre never use a mail order company.

I bought a Sony 36FS70 from web electricals (www.webelectricals.co.uk/) who just get it from electro centre (www.electrocentre.web--host.co.uk/) in Birmingham and resell it!

I've have one replacement, never had any paperwork, deliveries have been late etc...etc.... In other words no cusatomer service from web electricals apart from them being keen to take my money.

I'll never use web electricals again and will now only go to my local supplier (not Curry's or Comet either!) , if you want customer service that's what it seems you have to do.

BTW I've got a Loewe on order and I'm ditching the 36FS70

11. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Hi everyone, thanks for taking the time to look at the thread.

I actually tried to buy this set locally, but nowhere apart from Courts stocked it (wan't prepared to purchase from them).

I spoke to Roger, an engineer at Samsung yesterday and after a discussion about the problems he has sorted out a local engineer to come out and have a look. He has said that the problem may not be one that can be sorted on site, but at least i'm getting someone out.

Brian from Samsung customer service called today to confirm my details and to say the local supplier has been given authorisation for the repair. He was very helpful.

The only problem I foresee is if the set can't be fixed on site. I'm not willing to allow a return to base repair. I've bought an expensive tv and i'm not prepared to be without it. Secondly, if the problem is that extensive, i'm goint to want a replacement - the problem has been there since purchase so I think this is fair.

It's a shame it took this long to get to this stage though. It's also a shame Robert Whyte felt the need to play the legal card. I'll let you know what happens.

12. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Time for an update...

The TV was repaired by a local company, who were very helpful in terms of looking at it and fixing it - had a long chat and they agreed the quality was terrible. Undertook a big repair and gave me the TV back next day.

The reds were much better than they previously (the picture is generally much sharper), but the reds still seem minimally out of line with other colours, maybe a design flaw on the TV?

But, 2 other problems have arisen since then...

1. There is now a large smudge to the centre right of the TV, from a distance it looks like finger prints. On close inspection these are very bright colour blobs (yellow and purpleish - they are finger print size). Also to the left of the screen there are a large number of these blemishes, they aren't as noticeable as the main blob, but because there are so many of them they are very noticeable.

2. The geometry has shifted up and to the left. E.g. with a PS2 RGB feed there is 1 inch black bar at the bottom and at the right of the screen. So, 4:3 material is over to one side and you get larger than usual black bars on 1.85:1 material.

So, all in all things are no closer to being sorted out. Have just got back onto Samung CS again - let's see what happens.

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A message for Rober Whyte.

"In response to your email, we have been keeping an exact record of your issue. Which we have beeen taking up with the manufacturer, regarding the service cover. May I also point out that the manufacturer,s warranty is quite clear that it is a return to base guarantee. which we and they have provided you with
    I must point out that our company has been in business for 32 years and if we find anything printed or published, that does not represent the full facts or misleads. We shall also take the appropriate action."

Having just completed litigation with Powerhouse....in which I won....I am now looking for a new TV. I will not be looking at your company.

You claim you have been keeping an exact record of this issue yet you fail to communicate the status to the customer. The fact you have been in business for 32 years is not relevant to this issue. What is relevant is the fact that you are able to cobble a poorly worded statement together for this forum in what one assumes to be a very short period of time yet you are unable to participate in a dialogue with your customer that might have avoided all of this.

Jon Smith....Bear in mind that you are under the sale of goods act being sold short in a number of areas. If your equipment is faulty you are entitled to your money back even if a repair has been carried out.

It seems there are too many cases of retailers offering less than satisfactory service and adopting aggresive attitudes with threats of legal action when faced with the possibility of being "outed".

Good luck Jon Smith......E-mail me if you want more details re my legal action if this company decide to go down this route.

14. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,786
    I must say it is extremely rare to see convergence issues with LCD based devices. This sounds like hairs or dirt in the optical path. Could just need a good clean out....

Gordon

15. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Thanks for the support Bluestu, i'll get in touch if I need any more info.

After a conversation with one of the technicians at Samsung just before Xmas I would have agreed with you. Unfortunately, the problem is still there, not as bad as it was, but still there. The local engineer that fixed it said the picture was terrible and gave it a good clean out.

I think it was the optical unit (it was certainly optical something?) that he replaced - took about 2 hours. Unfortunately the repair has caused other problems.

Do you any idea what could cause the colorized fingerprints?

16. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    So what.

If you check the sale of goods act, if they have to be returned to base so be it BUT NOT AT YOUR EXPENSE!!!

So fair enough if they can't fix it on site, and you agree to have it repaired as opposed to replaced, it is up to the RETAILER to pick up the tab for shipping.

The other option you can give them, is the cost of YOU renting a Transit, driving up to Glasgow, staying in a hotel overnight (if the journey is more than 4 1/2 hours each way) and then driving back including the cost of all fuel.

This would still be classed as reasonable.

17. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quite agree!!!!!

18. the honest man

the honest man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Sony rp tv from this firm about 3 years ago,nothing wrong with the tv,but I was given the wrong remote control,and there was no spare bulb,which should have been included with the set.After contacting Robert Whyte a few times and getting nowhere,I lost my temper on the phone,and did a bit of shouting at them.Brian Whyte then phoned me back,and accused me of swearing at his staff(which I did not),and then proceeded to shout and rave at me.Personally I thought I had been very patient,waiting for two months to get the correct items I had paid for.
    Eventually I got the correct remote,and the spare bulb,but when I went to change the bulb after about three years I found the spare I had been given was useless and worn out.
    After three years I can imagine what I would have been told if I had went back and said I had been given a worn out spare,knowing the previous level of customer service I had received.
    At the end of the day it is Robrt Whytes loss,as I have just purchased a newToshiba RP from elsewhere.

19. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me too, I had been looking at this company but this thread made sure I went elsewhere.

20. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Well, i've been emailing Robert Whyte for days without a reply. They are not open during lunch hours, so it is difficult to find time to ring them.

After reading up on the trading standards site, I believe I am well within my rights for a replacement or credit for another TV.

I've just dispatched a letter to them stating my legal rights and what I expect from them.

Nothing else has got me anywhere, so lets see what response I get from this.

Samsung have offered another repair, but if such a recent TV can't be repaired the first time, then it's obviously a duff model. One of their senior engineers is calling me later in the week to discuss.

21. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jon,

Keep a note and or copy of everything you send and all the times you call, especially when they fail to call back after making a promise to.
    Sale of Goods is quite specific as to when a retailler are in breach of rules and it is not particularly difficult to prove in a case such as this so long as you have been reasonable and given the retailler a chance to put things right. The usual line of defence being that as the customer you accepted the televsion. This I believe is only the case when you are shown to have kept the TV for a "reasonable period of time" with no complaint. No much of a grey area there then!!!!!
    Failure to fix is one thing, but failuire to respond shows a complete lack of respect for one's customers and more importantly an attitude where resolution is unlikely to take place.

Good luck.

22. HBK757

HBK757
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cancelled my order with Robert Whyte after waiting 3 weeks without any contact for my Toshiba 43VJ13B. I phoned em today and asked what the hell was going on. I was told the TV had been out of stock for a while. Why was I not told about this when ordering ??? Their service in general is appalling and I'd strongly recommend to anyone NOT to use them. Once they take your money (as soon as you order) they aren't interested in you.

23. jon smith

jon smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Well, it looks like i've finally got somewhere.

Samsung have agreed to a recredit. This basically means Robert Whyte will take back the TV (because they know Samsung will give them the money back). The sale of goods letter I sent seems to have done the trick.

So i'm now looking at the new Tosh's as a comparison. They are just about light enough for my needs (2nd floor flat, pain in the butt). Component inputs as well, so maybe i'll go with one of them.

Thanks to everyone on here for their support.

24. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent news.....they really didn't have a leg to stand on.
    Anyway well done.

25. JPC

JPC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well done Jon!!

But where will you be buying from now??
    and what model?

Im interested as Im on the verge of buying possibly a Toshiba myself.
    Regards JOHN