Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

problems with RGB scart switchers

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by NaTT, Jun 18, 2003.

1. NaTT

NaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I've tried 3 now.
    The £10 quid jobby from Argos wrecked the picture Q. So I took it back.

The £25 quid 5-way jobby from Argos caused a few pictures flicks whilst watching a DVD and apparently the red kept switching off when watching TV (this was a giggle 'cause I'm RG colour blind and could only just see this). So I took it back.

I've now got a £20 quid one from a Sony centre. This looks better built but I'm now seeing small horizontal "interference" lines whilst watching TV.

Any ideas what this might be? (I've always checked the connections were good). Any other suggested models? I know a few of you have used the above with no probs at all.

2. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Maybe it's your SCART leads or perhaps the switch box is picking up interference from somewhere.

I've used the £10 jobby (£9.75) from Argos and had no problems.

I currently use the Quintro+ which auto switches but is a bit more expensive at around £60-70 but well worth it.

3. Kristian

Kristian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    I'm using the £10 Argos one - the one without the captive scart lead - and I can't tell any difference in PQ at all. I'm using it with a Panny 32PL1, Tosh 220 DVD, X-Box and Sky digibox and am using QED 4110 and 2110 squart cables.

The only problem is I have to move to change the source;)

I haven't needed to try any others so I can't suggest any more, sorry.

Kris.

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    These cheap 'switchers' simply do not have enough bandwidth to reliably swith a signal withoutout degredation, they are particularly bad and the lowest frequency where things are most important to get right. A proper video switch is actually quite an expensive device to design in comparison with say an audio signal, even low bandwidth signals like RGB SCART signals are easily massacred by these devices. I have started writing an article on this but it seems to be taking an age to complete.

Re solutions, I don't have any quick fixes I am afraid, just buy a device fit for purpose but I am not sure quite how you find these easily other than by word of mouth, as only the top switchers quote bandwidth figures.