1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with Rega Planar2

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by gunnerbar, Jan 4, 2005.

1. gunnerbar

gunnerbar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I seem to be having a problem with my rega planar 2. It works fine when I play a record at first but after a very short period of time I get this loud coming though completely overbearing on the lp sound. It's a low frequency buzz and It becomes more pronounced when I touch the tone arm. It sounds like an earth problem or something but I can't find any wire that shouldn't be where it is.

Also a second question if I may. No that's not it.
    Are Ortofon cartridges any good such as the the one's Richer Sound's have
    Ortofon Concorde about 60 STG 90 euros
    Ortofon Pro Cart " 30 " 45 "

2. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    whats the arm RB300?or R200 s arm?
    sound like earth problem somewhere along the line,so check the earth connection.I would put something like a Goldring 1012 on a planer 2.

3. gunnerbar

gunnerbar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. The arm is a rb 250. I was looking at that same cartridge (goldring 1012) on ebay and there's one with 250 hours playing time going, so far for aout 15 stg. What do you reckon?

4. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would be inclined to buy new,than a S/H Ebay purchase,might be safer:but it might be worth it if the price is good just for the body,as all the 1000 series stylus could be fitted.

5. MiniMel

MiniMel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know if I'm a bit late but you have a lifetime guarentee with all Rega turntables - send it back to Roy and they should sort it out for you. A small tip - and I know we buy according to budget, but a Rega Planar 3 knocks spots off of the 2.

6. tl011s1735

tl011s1735

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if there is a gradual build up of humm /buz its youre amp,,if its ground related the buz will start as soon as you select phono on youre amp. Try borrowing an amp or taking it to a hi-fidealer and get him /her to check it

7. gunnerbar

gunnerbar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replys.

It's definately not an amp problem as I've just changed my amp and the problem still persists. I can't fugure it out. I listened to about an hour of music the other night problem free then all of a sudden it began to hum badly again.

I was thinking of changing my cartridge anyway so maybe I'll get them to look at that. The goldring 1012 new is a bit off my budget can anybody recommend a fine cartridge for an rb 250 arm for about 50 - 75 stg.

BTW got my System Audio SA 1530 floor stand speakers last week. Worth every penny. Looks like they'll be properly distributed in the UK very soon.

8. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if your intrested I have a Rega Exact MM at home,about 50 horts only on it,looks new,is £250new,I'll take 95 plus P&P,I also have a RB600.