Question Problems with Pro-ject Elemental turntable

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Racheycakes, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Racheycakes

Racheycakes
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I'm hoping someone out there will know how to solve this problem!
    I was given a Pro-ject Elemental turntable as a gift, but have had issues with the sound and the stylus arm. (I'm not very technical so forgive me if I use the wrong terminology).

Basically, when ever I play a record there is a godawful scraping/clunking sound. It's as though the cartridge head is too heavy or something? Then when the stylus reaches the end of the record I have to use the lever to lift the arm off the record...which is fine except that the arm just drops off the end of the support at the back, then skates across the label. Loads of my records are now damaged and I'm fairly certain the stylus will be getting wrecked.
    Does anyone know how I stop these two issues happening? I'm at the end of my tether with it! Can't return it as I don't have the receipt, it was a gift bought for me a year ago. This has been happening since I got it :-(

2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,305
    Here are a couple of videos for setting the turntable Tracking Weight. These are Project turntables but they are a bit more sophisticated than the Essential, but the concept is the same -

Music Direct - Pro-Ject Turntable Setup -...

How to Set-Up Your Pro-Ject Turntable

Likely the tracking weight needs to be in the 1 gram to 1.5 gram range. I will depend on the Cartridge you have.

If it has the standard Ortofon OM5E that looks like this -

Superfi - Ortofon OM5E Moving Magnet Cartridge

Then the tracking weight should be between 1.5 g and 2.0g.

If it has a cartridge like this, then the Tracking Weight needs to be 1.8 grams.

Superfi - Ortofon 2M Red Moving Magnet Cartridge

How accurate the videos will be will depend on whether you have the original Essentail or whether you have the Essential II version -

Superfi - Project Essential II Turntable

Notice the Essential-II does have the numbered counterweight.

This video shows the original Essential, note it does not have the number counter weight.

Pro-ject Essential Turntable

Also as you can see from the previous videos, sometimes the cartridge comes with a Stylus Guard. That guard needs to be removed.

Steve/bluewizard