Problems with Popcorn Hour need Help

tpcairn

Standard Member
Reaction score
have a popcorn hour c 300 about 3 years . like it very much sound and blue ray's play great but have one problem.

let me explain my system then the problem. Have external hard drives connected to my windows 7 computer. have my movies organized on the drive by subject (comedy, adventure) for each of these folders I allow sharing with full permission to my network. I then have a wired connection to my popcorn box via a hub. From the popcorn I see the files then select the movies I want to play. Do this with blue rays and regular dvd's . they play great sound and picture. the blue rays are formatted in iso the dvd some iso some dvd format all play just great sound and audio.

problem. at times the box cannot see the share! this happens at times and I see no pattern. For years I have fixed the problem by rebooting my computer the share always come back. When the shares go away from my computer I see them and from the other computer on my network I can access the windows 7 computer and the movies from the computer. So far I have not found any way to restore the movie shares except rebooting the system.. tried rebooting the popcorn hour and the router the shares will not restore.

has any one had this issue with the popcorn hour or if its an issue that will not be fixed on the c300 do you know if getting the latest box will solve my problem. would like to upgrade to the new box because it will stream 3d but not if this issue continues with the new software.

Please Help

I have seen people talk about this issue. Does your PC goto sleep or hibernate?

Are the external HDD's spinning down after a period of no use?
It could be that they have in effect turned themselves off to save power & wear of the drive and the reboot just kicks them back into life.

Mark.

I have seen people talk about this issue. Does your PC goto sleep or hibernate?
no pc is desk top never turn it off or screen saver is always off.

also check the drives they are segate usb3 and power setting is always on

biggest concern is when the connection goes away on the popcorn c300 . it go to my computer that has the external hard drives and can see the shares on the computer and even watch the movies blue ray and dvd's. the sharing is still in place .

I then go to the popcorn hour and it still cannot see the shares even when I reboot it.

since Im rebooting the popcorn hour with no change I thought the problem pointed to the router or computer. rebooted the router on change only change is when I reboot the desktop??you would think that something is being set in the windows 7 computer.

so far I cannot find anything In the drives or computer that can be changed or reset without rebooting the computer. also I tried logging out of my login and reclogging in as administrator. I even then go back and log out as myself and relog in no change .

in don't even care if the c300 cannot find the shares as long as I can fix the problem without rebooting the computer ???

Are the external HDD's spinning down after a period of no use?
It could be that they have in effect turned themselves off to save power & wear of the drive and the reboot just kicks them back into life.

Mark.
no the drives are set to never power off. and you would think that my going to the computer and using my computer and playing the moves would restore the shares on the c300. also look form my other reply I posted with more detail

Your assumption is half correct. But what happens is the pch keeps the share active. The windows machine says the connection is still there even though its not there. I bet if you opened computer management and went to active shares you would still see the pch connected even though it is not. Usually this is caused by drives spinning down or the sort. Do you use NMJ or yamj or anything like that?

Your assumption is half correct. But what happens is the pch keeps the share active. The windows machine says the connection is still there even though its not there. I bet if you opened computer management and went to active shares you would still see the pch connected even though it is not. Usually this is caused by drives spinning down or the sort. Do you use NMJ or yamj or anything like that?

I use NMJ tried to install yamj but all the information on the web lead me to beleave that its tooooo complicated for me

when I loose my shares I go to the top and look to see if I can see my network I see my network (called network) and the computers attaché to it the movies are on computer tomd. when I click tomd it cannot find the computer when I type the name of the other computers that don't have movies I can connect. I even copyed one of the movies to computer (jane) and could play it.

I think the popcorn is trying to read the drive and the drive is not responding quickly enough . I think the popcorn is setting some file in the movie computer that is being reset when I boot.

I know that my usb3 drives are not as quick as an internal drive but its the cheapest way for me to go. I have 18 3 and 4 tb drives plugged into usb3 hubs.

for example I have my music on one of them when I rescan the drive I have to watch the scan to see if it goes well if it stops at any time I have to reboot the computer that my biggest problem. I watch the scan and if I see it halt I stop the scan and start the rescan over again. the manual stopping of the scan sets something in the NMJ file in the computer so it remembers where it left off. if I don't stop it in time the c300 freezes and the only way to start it again is to power it off however because it did not tell the computer it did not know where it left off.

could the popcorn set some item in the NMJ-data base file that is reset when I boot my computer.

been dealing with this problem for years someone must have experienced this issue??

I would try and test this on a small database maybe backup your NMJ_db folder. use NMJtoolbox to change the path to your files from the actual share set on the pch to a normal samba path let NMJ login to the share each time it plays a movie and see if that helps at all.

Try setting the shares by the PC IP address, there is a known Windows workgroup issue with the A400, I don't know if it affects the C300.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom