1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with Play's PS2/ USB converter

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Stereo Steve, Aug 20, 2003.

1. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Got one of these off Play.com. Supposed to allow use of PS2 controller with PC. Loaded software and plugged in and it kind of works but I'm getting auto moves. When I go to the game controllers in Control Panel (XP) it detects the controller and the buttons all work but the controller flashes randomly in the screen.

In Tomb Raider, Lara just keeps hopping backwards. Has anyone else had problem with this kit? I bought the controller brand new but maybe either that or the adaptor is faulty. What do you thinK? Unfortunately I don't have a PS2 or another controller to try although a mate has my old PSX.

2. cabl3gu7

cabl3gu7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have a PS2 -> USB controller adapter from PLAY.com and I just cannot get it to work with any of the NEED FOR SPEED games, the main reason why i bought it.

Its running on a WIN2k machine with DX9.0b and NFSU Demo and Full game.

The controller shows up fine in the control panel and all the buttons work 100%. It switches to analog mode no problem but when I run the game the menus scroll up constantly. Some games I have solved the problem by hooking up a 2nd controller but not NFSU, anyone else have this piece of s**t and have the same problems?

3. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    it doesnt work in certain games, due to having no driver dead-zone. if the game is relying on a driver-enforced dead zone you're a bit buggered. Games i've noticed with this problem are: Alias, Need For Speed Underground and Simpsons Hit and Run. It doesn't work in FIFA at all, as it's not one of the limited selection of supported controllers. It does work fine with the majority of games however.

4. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mine doesnt work with NSFU either, and again thats one of the biggest reasons why i bought it
    :(

5. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    i'll have NFSU2 sometime tomorrow, i'll let you know if it works with that.. better bloody had do :mad:

6. cabl3gu7

cabl3gu7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies guy's. I thought it was the fact that it was a 'Converter XP' and I was on 2k - wishful thinking on many parts. I tried it with the demo of NFSU2 and it doesn't work.... How annoying....

Anyone using another ps2 -> usb adapter? I like the Ps2 controller would love to use it on the PC. This one seemed to be good but will swiftly end up in the bin/ebay ;)

7. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    stick with that one, it honestly does work on most games, it's great for Pro Evo :D

i actually made my own one before that for the parallel port, which works on all the games that the play one doesnt work on. Only problem is mine doesnt rumble cos i was too scared too wire up AC power to it incase i got the wires round the wrong way!:rotfl:

8. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    ive had this problem and cured it by luck. same old same old wouldnt work on NFSU, alias etc. but what i did it have 2 controllers plugged in then re-configure the buttons for player 1 to what ever u like then it should work. well it did for me after hours of tryinmg to find methods. it a big pain in the arse

9. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    mine works in nsf:u no problems.

10. cabl3gu7

cabl3gu7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    James, do you have two controllers plugged in? Are they ps1 or ps2 controllers? Windows XP? I thought I had tried everything, obviously i missed something....!

Thanks in advance :)

11. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    one. interestingly enough, it never used to work untill after i re-installing windows....

12. cabl3gu7

cabl3gu7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is that XP, service packed?

13. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    yep, sp2

14. cabl3gu7

cabl3gu7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK i'll give that a go and report back to ya.

15. pRot3us

pRot3us
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,969
    The play.com one and its drivers are utter **** :thumbsdow

get this one off lik sang

works perfectly :)

16. Stom

Stom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya everyone, just registered here for this specific post regarding the play.com adaptor. Hopefully it will help some of you guys out with problems!

The adaptor does work fine with WinXP so long as you DO NOT install the drivers that come on the CD! The only drawback of course then is that you do not get the rumble part of the adaptor working (I am looking into a solution to this myself at the moment).

If you have one of these adaptors and have installed the drivers off the CD on WinXP then you can uninstall these drivers and go back to the 'standard' windows drivers by running the following command from the start -> Run box in your start menu:

Code:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultUninstall 132 K:setupusbpadzz.inf
    (ALL One Line!!!) Change the K: reference to point to the drive letter where you have got the driver disk in.

Still bloody annoying I aint got the rumble working though, tried loads of differnet drivers for it too now.

If you still can not get it to work and only have one pad plugged in go into device manager and disable the second port then it should work fine!

I have been playing both NFSU2 and Prince of Persia Warrior Within with this adaptor over the last few days perfectly fine. Once you install those drivers though, forget it! the games do not want to know!

Anyway, hope this helps some of you out!

(edit: Thanks to Jimle for pointing out that the copy n paste of the command to uninstall had some errors in it... not quite sure how windows scrambled the command that worked off my clipboard though...)

17. haz

haz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi everyone and thanks for your posts!

I too bought the play.com adapter specifically 2 play NFSU2 on! Now i've found that it doesn't work and i am pretty damn annoyed...

Anyway i've uninstalled the drivers like 'STOM' said- but does anyone know where u can get alternative drivers??

I'd love any info on this!

18. Stom

Stom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well I have looked and have so far come up empty with ones that will enable the rumble feature. (The rest of the pad works fine with the standard XP drivers though)

19. Marro

Marro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I foolishly connected the converter before realising it specifically says not to before installing the drivers. I have since installed the drivers, but whatever I try the controller will no work with Pro Evo 4. It only moves left and up, often moves on its own and half the buttons don't work. I realise this is probably my fault, but I don't like to believe the damage is so irreparable that I can never use this converter again.

I tried the link above and that did nothing, sorry.

Thx for any help (I'm on XP too)

20. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,967
    Sorry I can't help with your problem, but a bit of reassurance.

It is unlikely in the extreme that you will have damaged the convertor by connecting it before installing drivers. Whatever faults you are experiencing are almost certainly driver problems, and not hardware problems.

Unless (and this is also very unlikely) the unit was faulty when you got it. There is also an extremely slim chance your control pad may be faulty, but I doubt it.

21. Marro

Marro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whether they are driver problems or not, I can't play the game or use the controllers on my PC, which I ordered them both specifically for.

In other words, I'm royally p****d off :mad:

22. watchmaker

watchmaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Have you tried configuring the buttons in PES?

23. Stom

Stom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya Marro,

Read my post at the top of this page regarding the drivers, strangely enough, they are utter pants when being used with windows XP (any version of XP as far as I know). I briefly tried PES4 when I was trying to get my pad to work when I had inadvertantly installed the stinky drivers and had problems like you said (and with NFSU2). The only way I got the pad properly working was by killing (erm.. uninstalling) the original drivers off the machine and using the 'standard' winXP drivers.

To uninstall/remove the drivers please see my post at the top of the page.

Hope this helps you out, since uninstalling the drivers I have not found a game that the adaptor does not work with! (you do unfortunately loose the rumble facility by using the standard windows drivers, but I can live with that - Pain the butt anyway, rumbling all the time!)

24. Jimle

Jimle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    could you mail me that uninstall command? since the board removed all the symbols I honestly can't (couldn't) get it to work.

and it pisses me off the drivers make it like the buttons are held in all the time.

edit: figured it out.

25. Nivuh

Nivuh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same problem as Jimle, could some1 mail me the uninstall command too?

nivuh@hotmail.com

26. Jimle

Jimle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Uninstall command
    Code:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultUninstall 132 X:\setup\usbpadzz.inf
    It now works in NFSU2, anyone know how to make this NHL2005-compatible?

27. Stom

Stom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry bout getting that code wrong (if it was infact down to me and not the board?) - I have edited my original post thanks to Jimle.

As far as NHL2005, sorry can not help there - sounds like you have found the first game that perhaps doesnt work? (strange considering its using standard win drivers too?)

I have had two messages saying that the buttons stick too, something that I have not happen as yet. Perhaps it is worth sending it back? (If you can?)

28. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    not sure if it's worth getting the rumble feature to work, i have used the rumble feature on a few games, and it either locks the game up until i go in and out of sleep mode, or causes blue screens of death..

29. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mines fine in NFSU2 now :)

30. samhickman

samhickman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, i was using the converter perfectly well with need for speed underground 1+2, vice city, etc ... until .... i decided to install the drivers off the CD last night, in an attempt to get the rumble working. now i get the same symptoms as everyone else (constant scrolling through the menus in need for speed's ... i have just ried to remove the drivers using the command line, and i just get an error saying 'INSTALL ERROR' and a box to click cancel. is this supposed to happen? because if so, then the uninstall line hasnt worked for me. this is deeply irritating, as i had it perfect befoe! any help would be appreciated, sam