1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with Pioneer PDP-435XDE Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by supahoopsa, Oct 20, 2005.

1. supahoopsa

supahoopsa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Earlier this year I had the Home Automation company from hell into my flat and amoungst numerous other jobs they installed:-

Pioneer PDP-435XDE Plasma screen.
    Pioneer VSX-2014i Amp
    Pioneer PDP-R05XE Media Receiver
    Pioneer DVR-720H DVD/HDD

I have experienced several problems with the plasma screen in the last 6 months.

Firstly, when a programme has credits that scroll from left to right they are unreadable. Also occasionally when watching football, the picture becomes blurry (or ghostlike). Is this normal for a plasma or does it indicate something it wrong ? if so is it likely to be the screen or another piece of equipment at fault.

The other problem is harder to pin down, every now and again I see a line of dots on the screen. The best way to describe it is its as though there are a lots of dead pixels in a row as a dashed line. This will stay there for anything from a few hours to a day or two and no amount of resetting equipment will fix it.

I have continually asked the cowboys who did the job about these issues but as we are in dispute about payment they are not being very helpful.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

TIA
    David

2. kamaran

kamaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Who are they mate - name and shame I say?

Are they registered with CEDIA?

3. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    To be honest it sounds like you plasma is not too healthly. I had the same row of dots on a plasma of mine and it eventually bit the dust.

My advice would be to bypass the cowboys and call pioneer - the plasma will have a 12 month, if not 24 month warranty - and tell them about the row of pixel problem, that does sound like a problem with the plasma itself. Does the pixel problem stay on the screen when you switch to source where there is no live connection? i.e. switch off your dvd player, switch to the dvd input - you should see a black screen, do you have the row of pixels then? If so get on the phone to pioneer.

As for how things look on the screen it really depends on how things are connected and sometimes quality of cables. As a first stop I'd switch off all the enhancement settings on the screen (DNR etc.) and see how it looks. Then play with each setting in turn until you get a picture you like - my preference is to switch off all the nasty little buggers.

4. supahoopsa

supahoopsa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will not name them until everything is resolved but they are a member of CEDIA.

Think I will have to go to Pioneer directly re "dead pixels".

Thanks for advice.

5. kamaran

kamaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Contact CEDIA mate, they will help you get it sorted

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Certainly sounds like the screen is knackered. I wouldn't have thought that was a payment issue, if it's bust, and they are the retailer, they will have to do something about it, and can't really expect you to pay 1st. It's the installers nightmare though, 1 little dispute, goes on for 6 months, during which time the system develops a serious fault, meaning definitely no money. Never happened to me, but been caught up in other people's aftermath often enough. BTW Cedia are not really a mediation organisation. Not sure if that will do any good. I think Pioneer will likely refer you to your retailer to sort out the problem, so it all comes down to whether they are the supplier or not. If not, you are on a sticky wicket with any install dispute too. I think it's possible the problems are down to the interconnect cable. Is it a long one?

7. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Are these green pixels in a line? They are either ALL goosed or ALL OK?

If so, I hope you have a warranty as your screen needs replaced.

8. supahoopsa

supahoopsa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your responses. Just to clarify the problem with the "dead pixels" only happens now and again, I reckon only about six time in six months and not at all in the last couple of months.

Would you still suggest getting the screen looked at ? It is something that can be tested for ?

Any ideas on the other problem with scrolling text and fast action blurring - is this normal for a plasma or Pioneer in general ?

Cheers

David

9. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Switch off all the advanced picture settings and see what happens (I think you'll find the picture improves drastically) - if your not happy then start playing with each setting until you find a picture you like.