Problems with Pioneer DVR-3100 (finalising)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gidxg03, Aug 14, 2004.

1. gidxg03

gidxg03
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I’ve recorded several episodes of Sienfeld on a Datasafe DVD-RW (2X) on my Pioneer DVR-3100 (VR mode). I finalised the disc but it will not play in my other Pioneer 636D player nor will it show up with any content on my DVD burner. Anyone have ideas what could be wrong?

2. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +453
    Hi

VR mode discs are only compatible with playback devices that support them, I am not sure of the Pioneer 636D model, does it have an RW logo on it? If not then it doesn't support VR mode discs. Do not waste your time finalising VR mode discs, this is a legacy operation and isn't really needed these days.

Your computer likely will play these discs, but needs software that plays back VR mode formats. Try opening the DVD Player software, these normally include readers that will play the disc even where the Windows filesystem doesn't see the disc.

To play back discs on most normal DVD Players you need to initialise the DVD-RW disc to Video mode and record on that, however you lose editing options and time-slip.

Regards

Philip

3. gidxg03

gidxg03
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phil thanks very much for the reply. I've trawelled through AV forums and found some of your posts advising downloading instantread. I'm going to do that now. At least I know its not a problem with my DVD recorder.

4. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And make sure you record in VIDEO mode next time

5. gidxg03

gidxg03
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've downloaded instantread and can now view the VR disc on my PC :thumbsup:

Thanks a million for your help guy's.

Tbh I think I'll continue using VR mode as the timeslip fuction is invaluble for me. So long as I can read the VR discs on my PC to extract/author with TPMGenc DVD author I'm happy.

Thanks again :thumbsup: