Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Problems with Phillips DVDR880

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Merritt, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Merritt

Merritt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This is a post on behalf of someone who isn't very good with bulletin boards! He has a new dvdr880 which he is connecting via SCART to a Mitsubishi CT2553STX television... He knows that the screen is a few years old now but the DVD can't be displayed properly on the TV and gets lots of 'rolling' pictures and improperly sized pictures... He claims to have found the setting that allows him to set the DVD player to 4:3 but also claims that none of the other settings make any difference to the picture. Not knowing the machine myself and being miles away from him, I was wondering if this rang any bells out there? Im sure this is just a "configuration problem" and is correctable via an on screen menu somewhere but can anyone shed any light?

Cheers

2. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    I don't have an 880 so not overly familiar with it. However, what you are describing could be a number of standard things...

1) If the picture is B/W and rolling incorrect screen size. Is he playing an R1 DVD or NTSC disc when he gets this ? i.e. his TV is not Multi-Standard ( though most Mitsubishi's usually are )

2) If the picture is colour , rolling and incorrect size. Is the SCART cable he's using fully screened or has it been snipped on Pin 19 ? In which case if it has been snipped tell him to plug it in the other way around i.e. reverse the scart plug order from Telly to 880.

See if that helps ;)

3. Arni

Arni

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    check out this forum for more info regarding your Philips dvdr880.
    DVDplusRW

4. Merritt

Merritt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Guys - a bit more info from the owner if this helps identify the problem at all :

"when picture shape is set for 4:3 panscan when playing a dvd widescreen movie the picture is narrow with large black band top and bottom.same as when set to 4:3 letterbox.if set to 16:9 it is totally confused and goes from tv to dvd in 3 second intervals."

Any ideas please!

Cheers

Steve

5. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah I would take arni's advice and post in the forum he gave you the link for. They are mostly 880 or 890 owners there and someone might have a better idea.

In general though, I wouldn't think it would be a 880 specific problem, as its not really much different to a normal dvd player in terms of playing disks and the way it does it.

If it was happening on all aspect ratios I would have said it was almost certainly a set up fault-something do do with ntsc/pal or even a faulty scart lead. But the fact that it only happens on the widescreen aspect is a little worrying.

I could be wrong but it may just be a player fault. The 880 is renowned for problems although I haven't heard of this before.

One last thing. 4:3 and pan and scan are virtually identically for the majority of the time. Some dvd's will look different in pan scan (there will still normally be black bars but usually thinner) some WONT AT ALL. So as far as pan scan and 4:3 not looking any different-generally the dont anyway! so thats not a fault.

The only issue that I can see which is a genuine problem is the widescreen aspect confusing the tv. And as I say, this might be a problem with the player. In fact the more I think about it the more I think this might be the case. Post on the other forum, and if no one can help tell your mate to take it back and explain whats happening.