1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with Philips32PW9617 set

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Italo Tettoni, Oct 27, 2002.

1. Italo Tettoni

Italo Tettoni
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have just purchased a Philips 32PW9617 P+ television, does anyone else who owns or has seen the set noticed vertical dark stripes on the CRT tubes? It looks almost as if the glass of the tube varies in thickness which can be seen as vertical banding in the center and far left corner of the set. Are all sets like this?

With this new set I also noticed some dark patches in the top left and bottom left corners of the set and whenever the center surround speaker is sitting on top of the TV this discolouration gets worse. The speaker is magnetically shielded and I have degaussed the set (using a professional wand) but the dark patches are still there. On a related issue the image on screen seems to wobble slightly whenever I play anything at high volume almost as if the center surround speaker is vibrating the set.

P+ is great but why doesn't 'double the lines' mode work for NTSC material?

Also has anyone else noticed that P+ distorts the geometry setting of the TV? For example if you use 100Hz digital scan mode and set the Geometry for the set, if you then use P+ mode the image will appear slightly elongated and viceversa.

Is this a dud set? Are other people having similar problems? The earlier Philips set had its problems as well (Geometry etc...) but I can live with geometry being slightly out rather than dark splotches and banding on the tube.

many thanks in advance for any info

--
    Italo

2. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    1. The banding - a known problem with the Quintrix F tube... most common are slight bars at the sides (mine has a very slight LH bar)... the centre is certainly something which you shouldn't have to put up with.

2. Patches - I must say that my set is now patch free. Some users from NZ mentioned probs with Philips sets so it looks like they aren't looking after you Southern Hemisphere folks. Even though your speaker is shielded it really shouldn't sit on top of the TV... you said yourself that it gets worse when you do this.

3. The NTSC issue - there is no Double lines option simply because it would be identical to the Pixel+ mode for NTSC as explained by Zacabeb in an earlier thread.

4. Geometry- can be set-up separately for 100Hz and Pixel+ - the TV switches modes as you go through the menus. Pay special attention to the "slope correction" I have managed to get good geometry in all modes on my set.

With the banding, I suggest you get the set swapped. As for the patches, assuming Philips are now calibrating properly for the Southern Hemisphere, they should disappear after a few weeks of internal degaussing [set off at mains every night] (mine did).

Hope it all works out for you as when it does, you'll love this TV!

3. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    hi i`ve just got 32pw9576 & it does have the bars in the same place you say.you can only see them on dark stuff though.