1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with Philips 9616

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by itsbegun, Aug 11, 2001.

1. itsbegun

itsbegun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We purchased a Philips 32pw9616 three weeks ago.<br />The picture seemed blocky and over processed, with<br />poor picture geometry when watching through Sky.<br />Also the Sky menu's were very blurry.It had a better picture when watching DVD's. We tried to live with the picture on Sky, but it got to the point where we had to complain to the seller and<br />they arranged through Philips for the set to be<br />taken away and repaired.We do not have a lot of<br />faith in the set coming back repaired and the picture problems sorted.Does anybody know if this<br />is a problem with our particular model, or Philips<br />in general?.Also does anybody have any advice as<br />to what our next step should be if the picture<br />problems cannot be resolved?.

[ 11-08-2001: Message edited by: itbegun ]</p>

2. itsbegun

itsbegun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anybody got any advice

3. simondp

simondp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andrew,<br />I bought a 28pw9616 a couple of weeks ago. The first set (guess where this is going...) was awful when trying to display text around the corners, particularly the menus/info on Telewest Digital and teletext. The logo for Sky News was almost a blur. Basically, anything with a lot of white in it.

I changed the SCART to a good quality one and this made a bit of difference but I knew that having forked out almost a grand I could expect a lot more. I spoke to Philips who within 10 seconds said it was the tube. I organised a replacement from my supplier and it's much better.

It looks like pot luck to me, which is quite disgraceful in my opinion given the money we are expected to pay and the time Philips has had to get this sorted (the 9616 is hardly a new range).

Still, I'm quite happy with the set I've got now so my suggestion is get a decent SCART cable and if you're still not happy, change the set.

Good luck!

Simon.