1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PROBLEMS WITH PHILIPS 42PF9946/12 PLASMA ? READ THIS >>>

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ScottishThistle, Feb 11, 2005.

1. ScottishThistle

ScottishThistle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    My father and I both have bought Philips 42PF9946/12 plasmas.
    We noticed straight away that there was bad lipsync problems with both tv's so we arranged for replacements to be sent out, and guess what, the replacements have this same lipsync problem :(

(For those people who dont know what lipsync problem is, its this > if you watch a tv program and the persons mouth in the picture doesnt match up to the voice, thats what ya call lipsync problem)

Anyway, main reason for this thread is that iam trying to gather peoples details (email address's) so that I can petition Curry's and Philips as both company's are trying to say that they cant see this problem (liars), maybe if I had a petition I could show them it and say "here you go, thought no one had any complaints", know what I mean ??

PLEASE PM OR EMAIL me with any details you wish to give or at least post your brief message in this thread stating your experience with the Philips 42PF9946/12 as I can always quote this site and tell them to have a look themselves.

Thank you very much for your help and I will be intouch with any info I find out :)

p.s
    Please dont post any suggested fix's for lipsync problems etc as this isnt what this thread is for, thanks.

2. ScottishThistle

ScottishThistle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    ive still not recieved any emails or any new posts regarding this subject, could it be that everyone is happy with thier 9946 ??? (hope so)

3. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    lip sync is a problem with virtually every plasma that I have ever seen, though it all depends on whether you notice it or not (bit like rainbows with projectors). I notice it, it drives me mad, others don't see it at all.

4. Jimdefruit

Jimdefruit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Its not just a plasma problem. I get lipsync probs on my Sony CRT on some sky channels.

5. Pottsy

Pottsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thomson, good luck with this! It would be like trying to petition against Ford because the Focus was not silent on the motorway....

Both Freeview and Sky can sometimes suffer lipsynch problems owing to shoddy digital encoding / decoding. Analogue TV does not suffer (oddly, if you consider how the sound is transmitted - near instantaneous companded analogue multiplex).

The picture signal going into the deep innards of a plasma has to be "converted" to a signal that works with digital screens. This takes time (and this time can vary a bit, according to the picture type), and so you will see lipsynch problems.

You say you don't want to read about fixes, so I won't go on about amps with digital sound delays, or scalers with clever sound delays, but I can assure you that getting another plasma will NOT fix this for you.

BTW, lipsych drives me mad, but my gf doesn't see it. I am even considering making a machine that goes beep when it sees a flash of light, to help calibrate my scaler when using a test DVD.

Good luck!

6. ScottishThistle

ScottishThistle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    It happens with this model of tv on all format signals, analog, cable digital, sky digital and also on dvd.

we'v had 4 of these tv's and thier all the same, also the display model in the store is the same, so thats 5.

I had a word with the store manager yesterday, I advised him that if they intend to sell tv's knowing that they have lipsync issues then they should having a notice up advising customers of possible lipsync issues and that you will more than likley need to buy a sound system with sound delay option at a cost of $$$£££, he agreed and said that he will be reporting this to his head office (CURRYS). (he probably wont do anything though, you know what like these guys are!).

7. Pottsy

Pottsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    It happens on all models of all plasmas. They should put a sign up that states "Some or all plasma displays may suffer to varying degrees one or all of the following: lipsynch, solarisation, pixel faults, banding, screen burn, image retention etc etc".

That said, a good plasma in a good system is far better than a CRT. A poor plasma in a poor system is far worse than any CRT.