1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with Philips 36pw9607

Discussion in 'TVs' started by leeb_russell, Mar 25, 2003.

1. leeb_russell

leeb_russell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently purchased a philips 36pw9607 tv and I have to say that I am dissapointed with the picture quality especially when using Pixel Plus.

Watching some DVD's, the picture is o.k such as Ice Age / Star Wars, but watch Lock Stock is awful. The pcture looks over processed and shimmers.

Also, when watching Sky Digital the picture again is very poor. Switching to 100Hz improves the picture considerably yet Philips recommend the Pixel Plus setting.

I do not undestand why almost every AV magazine claimed that this TV has the best picture in it's class.

Anyone else seen the same problems. Judging from some of the posts on this website I'm not the only one!

2. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Pixel Plus, I really could not see any advantage in using it with any moving images. I to had the same problems that you have and others and eventually got my retailer to take it back. If you can get a refund then I would as this TV is not all it is cracked up to be. Especially if you watch SKY, it really cannot deal with SKY's compression algorithisms (sp.). There are many Tv's out there that can handle it much better. Mine also suffered from stuttering images that really is not acceptable.

3. basharat

basharat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had this set for the last few weeks, my first impressions were horrid as I watch alot of action films and was dissapointed with the shimmering with fast action. I did though get used too it and with a few tweaks got it to acceptable level and it peforms ok now!! I am very happy with the sky digital pictures- sky news and bbc news look outstanding. I guess this tvs picture takes a little getting used too depending on peference. You could leave it on 100hz if you dont like pixelplus.

As regarding to scoobydo, my set does stutter at times but not that often. Phillips could have made a set which would have blown every other manufacturer out of the water but we got a haf hearted effort:rolleyes: I still reccomend this set though:clap:

4. leeb_russell

leeb_russell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice. You mention that you tweaked the set? Is there anyhing else I could do to improve the picture ?