1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with Philips 36" PW9607

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Sonny Siaki, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Sonny Siaki

Sonny Siaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, i purchased this tv on sunday and i am having a few problems with the settings.
    I have a Sky digital box wired up and use the other RGB port for my XBOX and PS2.
    I have been constantly tweaking with them since the purchase and just cant find the right consistent setup that looks great on every type of format i use the tv with, i can get crystal clear and vibrant quality images on the sky digital channels but it has a lot of ghosting and haloing which is annoying, so if you have any ideas on how to erase that and still keep a great picture or even tone them down so its not as noticeable id be grateful.

I also have a problem when i switch over to one of my consoles on the settings i have for sky digital the picture appears jagged around the edges of buildings and character models and the colours look out of tone compared to the quality it was on my five year old 28" Sony, i often find myself having to tweak with them a bit more to get a semi satisfactory picture but then ive totally changed the settings i had the sky digi looking pretty good on.

When playing Pro evolution soccer on the PS2 the colours look very dirty on the pitch and because the camera is on top view the players look very blurry and distorted which makes it very hard to recognise a player because their face looks like a squashed catfish, another example of the problems ive portrayed here is when playing Dead or Alive 2 On the XBOX the character models are so jagged and blurry it makes it hard to play the game and any other.
    If someone can give me some tips or reply with some settings that are excellent with all formats of play and watch so im not constantly changing them id appreciate it.
    Sorry for the long post but im at my wits end with it already heh :(
    Cheers

2. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    To get a picture I was consistently happy with I turned off Pixel Plus, and made sure the sharpness setting was quite low.

I also turned off most of the other gizmos too, or set them to minimum.

There are a few picture settings you can adjust with the bottom of the remote rather than the menu.

I'm pretty happy with the picture on my set, but very annoyed with geommetry issues, have been fighting Phillips over this but to no avail. Not quite as worried as I was as I now have a projector for movies.

36 inches just isn't enough!

Cheers
    Marc

3. Sonny Siaki

Sonny Siaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply mate but i get a great picture with these settings:-
    contrast 50%
    brightness 45%
    colour 40%
    tint warm
    dynamic contrast medium
    picture pixel plus
    dynamic noise reduction medium
    active control off
    screen size super zoom
    Only problem i have with the above is a lot of ghosting and sometimes looking a little hazy.

When i change to a console it all looks jagged and rough and the colours look too digitised.
    I would like to know how to get into the manufacture menu so i can change all the geometry but i need a code for it too so if anyone can help post away :)
    Cheers.

4. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Yes, but your problems probably stem from using all the funky gizmos.

Sure I can get some astounding looking stuff (Monsters Inc on pixel plus was unreal), but I don't want ghosting or having to change things for each channel or thing I do.

So turning most of them off gives me a consitently decent picture.

Sometimes I think Pixel Plus makes things look over processed too.

Cheers
    Marc