1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with Panasonic TX36PB50

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Reeves29, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Reeves29

Reeves29

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had this tv for about a month now, great set overall but a few little problems thats are niggling away at me.

Worst problem is when playing a region 1 DVD, to the upper right is several black lines that bend into the picture. Something to do with the NSTC picture?

To the left there is a vertical green line about 1.5 inchs wide, but it can only be seen when watching the tv at a sharp angle.

Can these be fixed by an engineer or are they a 'feature' of the set?

2. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the black lines are moire lines which are common to panny tvs on reg 1. they can be made less noticable in the service menu, i think its the "h pos" that cures it!! dont know what the green line is though

3. Reeves29

Reeves29

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried adjusting 'h pos', but it doesn't make much of a differance.

I did then try to adjust 'DAF-Phase' from 205 to 198, and it does affect the 'moire lines', moved them from the left to the right. I am not sure DAF-Phase does so i hope i am not damaging anything.

Not sure if they can be got rid of entirely with DAF-Phase, don't have time this morning to try.

4. HarryHedgehog

HarryHedgehog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the 32PB50 and I agree it is good overall. I too have the moire lines problem when viewing region 1.

How do you get to the service menu and is there any documentation to say what each option does?

5. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    to get the service menu. turn bass to max and treble to min. come out of that menu then press -/v on the front of the tv at the same time as pushing index on the remote. use the coloured buttons to scan through and change the settings. you can change the settings but they will go back to what they were unless you press str onb the remote. so you can faff on without losing the factory settings as long as you dont push str

6. rimmers

rimmers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have the 32" version and to fix the moire patterning which I had on both PAL and NTSC the engineer had to mess with the focus control inside the TV, making the TV less sharp. The fix worked nearly 100% and is now only slightly noticeable when watching NTSC with progressive scan mode on.

While i'm here does anyone get a problem whereby they can see horizontal lines moving up and down the screen, sort of interference, which is more noticeable on orange and red screens.

Also trying not to upset anyone thinking of buying this TV does anyone have noisy scan coils when in 100Hz mode (buzzing) as mine are quite loud and I just want to see if this is normal or not. When I say noisy I am not saying really noisy, but noticeable when watching the news or something like that.

Any help is appreciated.

Neil

7. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Neil,

we have 2 panny tvs. When we watch a dvd in RGB we get some small horozontal lines about 6 inches down from the top of the set moving around like interference. I can only see them on bright backgrounds. It only does it in RGB. S Video and video are fine. I was told its common to panny tvs. As for the buzzing. My last sony buzzed loud in 100hz but this one seems ok.

cheers.

8. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I've heard so many stories about these panny's - mine buzzes, mine don't, mine is crap in RGB , mine is good, mine has a green line, mine don't, geometry is bad on mine, mine is perfect !!!

Too me it sounds like the luck of the draw !!! and yes I have heard the stories of individuals who have returned sets 7 times !!! and I'm sure I can show you 7 people who were happy with the set delivered to them from day one with no symtoms mentioned whatsoever.

Me - well I'm one of the lucky ones and i've insured myself if I ever become unlcuky !! I have owned the TX-36PF10 for over 2 years originally mated with a samsung 709 DVD and more recently with the Pioneer 444 and I have had many movie nights with many, many freinds round - all with keen eyes and all were amazed at the picture quality and wanted to buy one too !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One did actually go for the Sony 36FS70 - he prefers the sony picture (his choice). The only gripes everyone was quick to point out where layer changes and slight picture break-ups (to do with specific region 1 DVD's and the 709).

what more can I say ?

9. romored5

romored5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rimmers,

you can get the buzzing fault fixed .

Panasonic have a Mod which result's in no buzzing after the set has warmed up ( say about 30min's )

If you check you will notice it only buzz's during DARK Scenes and not bright one’s contrary to popular belief !!!!!!

MY A\V RIG
    Panasonic TX32PB50
    Marantz SR5200
    Toshiba 210ED
    Amstrad DRX300
    Aiwa VCR
    Mission M72 front’s
    Mission M7C centre
    Mission M7ds rear’s
    Gale SPKR cables
    IXOS Scart

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, i have a second 32pb50, and after a few months, i have noticed these 'stretch' marks on the left and right hand side of the screen. Is this the 'moire' problem?

More visible on NTSC dvd's.

I'll try the above fixes, but is this a returnable problem, or do they all do this.?

p.s. returned my first one after the buzzing prob.

11. shaunthedude

shaunthedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "moire" is common to all panny crt tvs. It should only appear on an reg 1 disc or ntsc signal.

12. mafw

mafw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    romored5,

Can you give more details on the fix for the buzzing noise?
    I have had two 28PB50's which had this fault.

My sets were definitely worse on bright scenes with lots
    of white or yellow. Cartoons are particularly bad. The
    noise varys a lot especially when the camera changes.

13. Hamie

Hamie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :mad:

14. romored5

romored5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAFW,

All I can say is that the Lad that collected my set and took it away said it was noisey scan coils.

He looked young (he even needed help in removing the set from the stand!) but he brought it back after a week and said they "modified it "

It was a Bristol based company in Clevedon!

MY A\V RIG
    Panasonic TX32PB50
    Marantz SR5200
    Toshiba 210ED
    Amstrad DRX300
    Aiwa VCR
    Mission M72 front’s
    Mission M7C centre
    Mission M7ds rear’s
    Gale SPKR cables
    IXOS Scart