Problems with Panasonic DVD-S75

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jona, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Jona

Jona
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a problem with my Panasonic DVD-s75.

I recently bought a Sanyo PLV-Z3 projector. This works just fine with PAL disks through the panny, but when I play NTSC disks they look very odd through the projector. The pictures look out of focus and almost as if the image is superimposed over itself.

My brilliant theory on this was that it was something to do with progressive scan. The panny only has prog scan on NTSC output. As far as I can tell, the Z3 converts all input into prog-scan to improve the image. My theory was that the two machines were messing the image up by processing it twice.

However, I have turned off prog-scan on both devices and it makes no difference.:mad:

I have also changed the DVD-s75 option to output NTSC as PAL, but no change.

I am using component cables, but got the same effect when I used an s-video cable.

Now I wonder if the NTSC image has been bad all along, but my 32" TV was too small to show it up as a problem.

Any ideas anyone?

P.S. I have tried NTSC disks through my Panasonic DMR-E50 DVD recorder and it plays them through the projector just fine (via s-video).

2. RichieB

RichieB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    2 silly things to check

1. Have you set the video output to 'Auto'? It may be defaulted to PAL and converting the NTSC signal.
    2. Have you turned on Prog Scan?

3. RichieB

RichieB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Also - Richer are usually pretty good for exchanges (if you are not happy) and you can always ask for a refund - getting it is another matter.

4. Jona

Jona
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your suggestions RichieB. I've already tried what you suggested with regards to settings - the DVD player certainly has a lot of menu options - just none that do any good! :suicide:

I might well take the player back to Richer Sounds under the extended guarantee thingy.