Problems with panasonic dmr ex75 HDD recorder

Yes I now understand.
Please be aware I am talking about BWT720but this thread refers to EX76, a vrty different machine.
But why copy to BD at all? Why not a USB stick as I said. Or SDXC cards in which case upto 64Gb if using exFAT? Much easier and quicker than vopying to discs.
Hi, Judt bought a card reader but have 3 questions; Can I record to a usb stick and play/record to thd BWT, secondly can I record onto ssd card via this adapters d play/record again in the BWT720, I read a view in you tube and astounded as to what these cards can actually do but the transfer from computer to either USB stick or SD card I have literally no idea what I am doing and the pages in the manual make no sense to me,I last used a sd card in a very old cannon IX 400 camera, many years ago, basically I need to know what card to use,how to format it and software to download/convert:transfer those files to the Panasonic BWT720 hard drive

questions 1 and 2. You can not record onto sd cards or usb memory on the 720.you can copy from sd or usb to the 720 hdd.
with usb or sd card connected to pc it will appear as a new disc drive and uou can copy to and from it.
to format, but new ones come formatted, just right click on the drive letter and select format. Choose fat32 umless recording over 4Gb.

Yes I now understand.
Please be aware I am talking about BWT720but this thread refers to EX76, a vrty different machine.
But why copy to BD at all? Why not a USB stick as I said. Or SDXC cards in which case upto 64Gb if using exFAT? Much easier and quicker than vopying to discs.
Hi, Judt bought a card reader but have 3 questions; Can I record to a usb stick and play/record to thd BWT, secondly can I record onto ssd card via this adapters d play/record again in the BWT720, I read a view in you tube and astounded as to what these cards can actually do but the transfer from computer to either USB stick or SD card I have literally no idea what I am doing and the pages in the manual make no sense to me,I last used a sd card in a very old cannon IX 400 camera, many years ago, basically I need to know what card to use,how to format it and software to download/convert:transfer those files to the B

questions 1 and 2. You can not record onto sd cards or usb memory on the 720.you can copy from sd or usb to the 720 hdd.
with usb or sd card connected to pc it will appear as a new disc drive and uou can copy to and from it.
to format, but new ones come formatted, just right click on the drive letter and select format. Choose fat32 umless recording over 4Gb.
Hi, Thanks for you comments, Will have to buy a couple of sd cards to try this. However if I record from the pc will these videos be able to be copied to the BWT720 as you mentioned it needs to be formatted much like a NEW blu ray disc or am I missing something but without having a sd card or read/writer to try, or suitable software I am in the dark at this moment

There is no benefit in usingbsd card rather than a usb memory unless of course your 720 or your pc have faulty usb ports.
Anything you can do with a sd card you can do with a usb stick.
Yes if you have a recording on a usb memory and you copy it to the 720 hdd then you can play it from there.
You are incorrect about being formatted like a new BD.

I suggest that you first successufully copy a video file from your pc to a usb memory AND prove this by playing it back on the pc.
There is no point in continuing without this.
BUT just because your pc can play a usb recording does not mean the 720 can copy and then play it.
The pc can use ntfs format the 720 can not.
The pc can play mp4 container the 720 can not.
The pc can play h265 codec files , well win 10 can, tge 720 can not.
BUT if the pc can noy play the 720 definitely can not.

For the 720 use fat32, as long as less than 4Gb. NO ntfs.
Use mpeg2 for sd recordings or avchd for hd. Both of these containers will restrict you to aappropriate codecs.

Good luck.

Hi, Thanks for you comments, Will have to buy a couple of sd cards to try this. However if I record from the pc will these videos be able to be copied to the BWT720 as you mentioned it needs to be formatted much like a NEW blu ray disc or am I missing something but without having a sd card or read/writer to try, or suitable software I am in the dark at this moment
Hi, Sorry for going on agsin but I have several high capacity memory sticks I found, can I do the same with these as I have never used this method of transferring from computer to BWT720, can you suggest sAy a you tube video which illustrates how to achieve this,
There is no benefit in usingbsd card rather than a usb memory unless of course your 720 or your pc have faulty usb ports.
Anything you can do with a sd card you can do with a usb stick.
Yes if you have a recording on a usb memory and you copy it to the 720 hdd then you can play it from there.
You are incorrect about being formatted like a new BD.

I suggest that you first successufully copy a video file from your pc to a usb memory AND prove this by playing it back on the pc.
There is no point in continuing without this.
BUT just because your pc can play a usb recording does not mean the 720 can copy and then play it.
The pc can use ntfs format the 720 can not.
The pc can play mp4 container the 720 can not.
The pc can play h265 codec files , well win 10 can, tge 720 can not.
BUT if the pc can noy play the 720 definitely can not.

For the 720 use fat32, as long as less than 4Gb. NO ntfs.
Use mpeg2 for sd recordings or avchd for hd. Both of these containers will restrict you to aappropriate codecs.

Good luck.
hi, this is getting to be more like when you could go to your computer club, gleen info with you pc present and actually learn as the operations were explained and I could physically complete this in real time. Any issues would appear and there was always someone more able to demonstrate how to complete the task. Enabling you then to copy this as part of your experience history but I suspect, due to the ending of file-sharing these have mostly vanished so when U get time I will have to try my luck an experiment with the software I have Thanks Davd

Sorry, youtube is not my thing, never use it, never watch any, so I can not recommend any.

To cut out some of the variables, I suggest you start with sd video not hd. Get sd working first.

I think you said you had some mp4s you wanted to transfer.
Try first time to use a free online converter to cconvert to ,peg2 such as this:
Once you have the converted file check it will play on your pc.
Next copy to usb memory. Most likely it will already be in fat32 format already., so just plug it into any usb socket on your pc and you should see another drive letter appear in file explorer. Then in file explorer go to where you saved the online converted file, right click on it, select copy.
Then in file explorer go to your new drive letter, right click on it and select paste.
Now if you use file explorer and click on the new drive letter you should see the copy of your mpeg2 file. Double click on it snd it should play.
Until you get to this point no point in getting to the 720.

Hi, Is there another site I am missing, I thought everybody used YouTube for video, miss Kazaa,Limetree and the other f/s sites of old, sorry for being thick but if I bought ssd cards are these the micro type and do they then need an adapter, someday I will understand! Thanks DaveSorry, youtube is not my thing, never use it, never watch any, so I can not recommend any.

To cut out some of the variables, I suggest you start with sd video not hd. Get sd working first.

Try first time to use a free online converter to cconvert to ,peg2 such as this:
Next copy to usb memory. Most likely it will already be in fat32 format already., so just plug it into any usb socket on your pc and you should see another drive letter appear in file explorer. Then in file explorer go to where you saved the online converted file, right click on it, select copy.
Then in file explorer go to your new drive letter, right click on it and select paste.
Now if you use file explorer and click on the new drive letter you should see the copy of your mpeg2 file. Double click on it snd it should play.
Sorry, youtube is not my thing, never use it, never watch any, so I can not recommend any.

Hi, the mp4’s are actually converted by one of my converter programs, be this vegas pro 18, Wondershare, Freemake, one or the other convert the video url which I understand is Mp4 convert then burn this to a dvd which the via the Panasonic then copy to its hard drive, so I do not know whether this source would be an mp4 or mpeg2. I have never delved into the workings of video codecs, file formats, containers and all the jargon associated with it as I have never had the need Thanks Dave

Hi, Just looked st this Convertio program It looks like you can alter everything in your conversion so could I change these details in a blu ray burn to match that of the Panasonic as the other just use one of their standard blu ray option

You can get windows to tell you what codecs are used in a video file
Go to the location where the video file is stored:

• Select the video, whose codec info you want to know
  • Right click on the file
  • Select Properties
  • Switch to Summary tab
  • Check description
  • You will see audio format and the video compression
  • These are the used codecs for your video file

You can get windows to tell you what codecs are used in a video file
Go to the location where the video file is stored:

• Select the video, whose codec info you want to know
  • Right click on the file
  • Select Properties
  • Switch to Summary tab
  • Check description
  • You will see audio format and the video compression
  • These are the used codecs for your video file
Hi Have just looked at a you tube program which explains all about his sd cards are better than Sysco, it explains all the details shown on the card which I did not have a clue about but until I actually get a card I am not any wiser, are flash card higher quality than usb sticks, which is quicker, I have always used dvd or blu ray discs and am realising how time-consuming they are now

What do you mean by "quality" where you ask if flash cards are higher quality than usb sticks?
Essentially flash cards and usb sticks are the same technology just in different physical packages. They all come in different speed ratings and a few premium ones come with longer life, but in normal use life is not an issue.
Both are much much faster than dvd and BD discs.

No the 720 can not copy or move recordings between sd and usb memories, but a pc can.

Hi, So looking at pages 7&70-71 it goes on about the specification but does not mention the fat32 capacity, 32gb being the most a computer will format although they are ways around that using a program called Rufus which I read can format any capacity-will the BWT720 recognise anything over 32gb though? I know I am jumping all over the place with this, I have actually tried this with a 128gb stick and it was not easy to do as I nearly ended up with a non-bootable computer but I dare not now insert this into the BST720 in case I damage it programs? Have you or anyone in AVForums tried to to do this before,
What do you mean by "quality" where you ask if flash cards are higher quality than usb sticks?
Essentially flash cards and usb sticks are the same technology just in different physical packages. They all come in different speed ratings and a few premium ones come with longer life, but in normal use life is not an issue.
Both are much much faster than dvd and BD discs.

No the 720 can not copy or move recordings between sd and usb memories, but a pc can.
Hi, again, I was wrong. It was a 64gb stick I used and I have just confirmed that it shows up in my laptop as a 59.5gb FAT. Do not dare to try this on the BWT720 or has someone on the forum actually tried this. or do you think it will not harm the machine

Hi, again on this sd-usb subject, it looks like the best way would be to buy a dedicated sd bay fir my computer and Looking around there are some which have multiple input and output bay, with dvi, usb and even sata, have you one in your computer and if so which can you recommend

There is no issue with using that usb stick with the 720.
It will not damage, the 720, any recordings or the stick itself.
There are a number of FAT formats, including FAT12,FAT16,FAT32,ExFAT. But I expect the 720 will handle any of them.
I don't understand why you want to get an sd bay for your pc. The only reason for using sd cards instead of usb is if your 720 has damaged usb port, or I guess you want to transfer from a camera with sd storage directly.

But if you are weded to an sd bay, there are different types. Some have usb header connections to plug into the motherboard, others usb inputs, in usb2 or usb 3 form. Most will require a power input too, generally molex plug type. You need to make sure you have these sources available.

There is no issue with using that usb stick with the 720.
It will not damage, the 720, any recordings or the stick itself.
There are a number of FAT formats, including FAT12,FAT16,FAT32,ExFAT. But I expect the 720 will handle any of them.
I don't understand why you want to get an sd bay for your pc. The only reason for using sd cards instead of usb is if your 720 has damaged usb port, or I guess you want to transfer from a camera with sd storage directly.

But if you are weded to an sd bay, there are different types. Some have usb header connections to plug into the motherboard, others usb inputs, in usb2 or usb 3 form. Most will require a power input too, generally molex plug type. You need to make sure you have these sources available.
Still waiting for replacement of sd card reader but it looks like the BWT720 is unable to copy to hard drive from the USB stick, have you tried this yourself. You can ‘move’ video to an external usb hard drive and ‘move’ same back although sometimes it is not possible for some reason, so why is nog not possible with a flash drive sd it is just a compact hard drive, would anyone IS0 image be recognised and as you have experience in that field may be you have experience. Dave

I do recall copying a video from a USB stick to the hdd and playing it from there. (I have moved on from the Panny recorders so I can not try it now for you).
A USB stick is very different from a USB hard drive from the Panny perspective, for example you have to register a USH hdd but not a USB stick.
As for an ISO image I do not understand what you are asking. An ISO image is not the same as a disc, an image has to be mounted by the file system before it can be used.

Still waiting for replacement of sd card reader but it looks like the BWT720 is unable to copy to hard drive from the USB stick, have you tried this yourself. You can ‘move’ video to an external usb hard drive and ‘move’ same back although sometimes it is not possible for some reason, so why is nog not possible with a flash drive sd it is just a compact hard drive, would anyone IS0 image be recognised and as you have experience in that field may be you have experience. Dave

Hi, Nonidea myself but just been in you tube and there was a mention of an ISO file so just thought Zi mentioned it. how did you get the hard drive to copy from the usb stick, tried numerious ways but had always been unsuccessful, hiw did you copy in the first place, did you format them convert them move these files gi the usb stick , lastly add I mentioned previously how did you get the usb stick to be recorded, the instructions I think says this is not possible

Hi. Sorry to keep repeating myself as I have no idea as how to deal with usb or sd cards, rarely used any at all but bought plenty then judt normally lost them. I seem to rembrt when they first came out I bought a couple, used to carry them about but never actually put anything one them and then lost them one by one then gave up them. Is there a DNLA option in the recorder and is this,if there is, only a way to view video and not to record from

I do recall copying a video from a USB stick to the hdd and playing it from there. (I have moved on from the Panny recorders so I can not try it now for you).
A USB stick is very different from a USB hard drive from the Panny perspective, for example you have to register a USH hdd but not a USB stick.
As for an ISO image I do not understand what you are asking. An ISO image is not the same as a disc, an image has to be mounted by the file system before it can be used.
Hi, What have you moved on to, do you still download and record,?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom