Problems with panasonic dmr ex75 HDD recorder

I tried this once but the usb stick I thought had accepted the video files but when Ibinsetrd this into each if my machines they could not be read asking me to format which then infuriated me and just dusmjssrf this as working, I can copy to a usb stick from the computer which will play back, not sure though how the software converted thr video though to the usb stick do I just carried on using the trusted dvd. I have tried the ram disc but the vomputrr corrupted thjs and was then just a literal beer mat

Pevers3, it is easy to copy recordings to a new HDD in Sky, non-Q boxes and to install larger HDDs.
Just go to Copy+, the free Sky & XTV disk copier software
Hi, read comment about Copy.+, used this but my computer o/p windows 7 pro did not like the program and gave me the dreaded blue screen sk I abandoned it and lost all the recordings hhis is all down to sky who wanted my Itb sky box as a swap so I just did not accept the Q box

You can't move posts or change the title, moderator has to do that.
What Panasonic model are uou using?
A non-Q Sky box is your property not Sky's.
I have used Copy+ with win 7 no problem.
You have problems with both USB and BD, I suggest fixing these before worrying why you cannot copy to the HDD.
When copying to the HDD make sure you use the correct encapsulation and format of the media. Page 70 of the manual.

You have problems with both USB and BD, I suggest fixing these before worrying why you cannot copy to the HDD.
When copying to the HDD make sure you use the correct encapsulation and format of the media. Page 70 of the manual.
Hi. Have looked at page page you suggested but unsure about what you are getting at, I think the issue is that the videos are MP4 and Panasonic use AVCHD which is what Panasonic Head Office told me which is used with their video cameras so the issue is thst these videos need to be converted to AVCHD in the first place but how do you do that? When I use my recorder you get options about this but it is never able with videos I use, I have a number of software programs installed on my computers along all with blu ray burners but I am unsure at how to proceed, obviously so-one who can understand this would be able to sort this out easily,
I thought that but the guy at sky did not agree telling me the my original sky box had to bd returned when a Q box is offered. I was not informed of this and my sky.lhd box was full of my formula 1 motor sport videos so I just told the delivery guy I refused the Q box along with telling sky what I thought about this situation, I even offered my other older box but he refused so J told sky where to put the Q box and shut the door-end of story

You can convert mp4 to AVCHD with Avdshare Video Converter.
Just google for it.
So you stilll have your Sky hd box?

Hi, Mine is BWT720 it is the best machine it ad I said transferring video from a computer via a usb always fails gif me, Could this be thst Panasonic prefer the AVCHD file format but I do not think the methods used in converting from mp4 achieve this, not sure what is done when hheybsre converted from mp4 then burned to a dvd but it is frustrating to be unable to do this. I have several usb flash drive. Even a Y drive but the fat32 file which uou daybyhry need to be formatted to limits them, I need to see, say on U tube someone doing this, ax it is awkward trying to tell them in words. Another reason may be get frame rate, I tried a blu ray disc burned in the 720 in my computer using some some software I was advised to use and the frame rate was 25.00fps,frame width 730 height 576,data rate 5843kbps total bit rate 62/7kbps, all this is just flummoxing me now, sorry got being such a pain but this has bugged me for slog of years and have never been able to find a solution, you bring the first to be able to understand. I have several dvd equipment as it has always proved to reliable. I suspect I have been through all the brands that did the dvd video from when the Ist one ever came out and I went through 4 of those in about a year, obvious under guarantee but just loosing everting I had installed which had been copied via a box from my ,vhs devices which was needed(

Good a 720 as that is what I have used.
It is important to have the videos in the appropriate encapsulations.
If sd video then must be mpeg2 to copy to HDD. MP4 is no good, it will play but not copy.
If hd video then must be AVCHD, again mp4 no good.

As for USB, or SD card, formats, then NTFS is no good, must be FAT32 or ExFAT.
You are uding the front panel USB, Not rear one?

If you can't get it to work with USB then do try SD cards, SDHX the best as more capacity but make sure you format in ExFAT.

If sd video then must be mpeg2 to copy to HDD. MP4 is no good, it will play but not copy.

If you can't get it to work with USB then do try SD cards, SDHX the best as more capacity but make sure you format in ExFAT.
Hi, Happy New Year, Read your reply, I convert MP4 to Mpeg2 then burn to dvd, How do I download AVCHD as I thought that was only used in a video cam, the videos are I think only sd, I may have used both the read and front USB with my usb hard drives but never used any sd card or usb flash drives successfully, I would appreciate advice in this, also i have just installed my old 2nd DMR-EX87 along with the DNR-HW120 but lost with the connections although I was told how to connect the scarts but no idea or what use the DMR-HW120 is as it only a hdmi connection-I hate that they were just left in a cupboard, idle, unfortunatley due to a serious car accident years ago I loose patience, especially understanding the numerious pages of instructions in the panasonic instructions, not got any for the 120 though, it all becomes very frustrating especially when the blu ray option is limited and not recordable from an exterior souce but only when copied via the machine, just wasting the BD discs, Sorry for being long-winded abou this Dave

Happy New Year to you too.

You can convert video files to AVCHD format using the free converter I mentioned in post #31
AVCHD is a container format popularised and developed by Panasonic.
I suggest that you always use the front USB when trying to copy files from/to a USB memory stick. Use the rear one if using a USB connected HDD.
An issue is that when recording to the internal HDD the 720 only offers video transcoding (i.e. changing the file type) when recording off-air programs. it will not do this for straight video from SD card or USB. Thus the format of the files on AD or USB have to be the "correct" format the the unit understands. All standard DVDs use the mpeg2 format and it seems that you can copy these to the HDD. That you can't copy from USB to the HDD suggests that you have not got the correct format.

Mpeg2 describes both the container and the codecs used but mp4 is purely a container and it can contain video with the AVC codec or the HEVC codec (and differing audio codecs too)
There are plenty of free mp4 to mpeg2 converters out there. Some on-line ones too. I suggest that you try a different converter to the one you have been using. I can't recommend one as I have never found the need to convert to mpeg2.

As for the HW120 I don't have one but a quick look at the manual reveals it has no video input connections. HDMI is output only. It does however have the same SD card and USB as the 720 so all the same rules and procedures likely follow. The EX87 did support baseband video inputs via the Scarts but the HW120 does not. Scarts and video inputs have been phased out for all recent machines.

You can convert mp4 to AVCHD with Avdshare Video Converter.
Just google for it.
So you stilll have your Sky hd box?
Hi, Yes, I still have my sky box it, works fine and this converter you suggested is new one to me I have about 9/10 different ones. Filmora, Pro 18,AVS etc and all do not use the 25fps in blu ray thsg Panasonic use but J suspect the machine included some kind of code when it burns blu ray, just as the usb hard drives are coded, I am surprised that ther had been non-one who had mentioned that the Panasonic machines will
not copy exterior made blu ray to their hard drive, copy protection? Cheers Dave

Hi, Again. Do not havd an sd card reader/writer as bays used for blu ray drive? Do you use a computer with these cards as I thought mpeg is not used now, can you format to mpeg2? as I thought the ones used in the computers would not be recognised by Panasonic or am I wrong, if so will have to look for an exterior card bay, obvious I do not know as much as I thought?

Just stick with usb then and forget about SD cards.
Yes you can connect SD cards to a pc by way of a USB SD card reader. Start at a vouple of pounds.
MPEG2 is used in the uk for all standard definition tv and MPEG4 for all HD tv.
The video codec used in MPEG4 is the AVC codec the same as csn be used in mp4.
With any video file there are 2 aspects that must be correct for any device beit Panasonic device or pc, to be able to play it.
These are the container and the codec(s).
The container such as mp4, mkv or mpeg2, is the file stucture, i.e. how the video, audio, timing, description, control etc are all merged together into one file.
The codecs describe how the picture and how the sound are digitised and compressed.

In addition any file stored on a USB stick, SD card, hdd etc is stored according to the file structure of that device. This file structure, or format, such as FAT, NTFS, ExFAT, is the indexing system identifying where within the device particular files willl be found.

So for any device to be able to reproduce pictures and sound, the video file must be:
On storage media formatted to a standard that the device understands (eg Fat)
The file structure be a type the device understands (eg mp4 )
Encoded with a codec the device can decode (eg avc)
If any of these 3 are not of a type the device understands then playback will fail.

Whilst strictly it only needs the file structure to be acceptable inorder to copy the file, most devices are clever enough to refuse to copy if it knows it can't then play it.

Yes you can connect SD cards to a pc by way of a USB SD card reader. Start at a vouple of pounds.
With any video file there are 2 aspects that must be correct for any device beit Panasonic device or pc, to be able to play it.
The container such as mp4, mkv or mpeg2, is the file stucture, i.e. how the video, audio, timing, description, control etc are all merged together into one file.
The codecs describe how the picture and how the sound are digitised and compressed.

In addition any file stored on a USB stick, SD card, hdd etc is stored according to the file structure of that device. This file structure, or format, such as FAT, NTFS, ExFAT, is the indexing system identifying where within the device particular files willl be found.

So for any device to be able to reproduce pictures and sound, the video file must be:
If any of these 3 are not of a type the device understands then playback will fail.

Whilst strictly it only needs the file structure to be acceptable inorder to copy the file, most devices are clever enough to refuse to copy if it knows it can't then play it.

Hi. A lot of facts I did not know, am I correct when saying Panasonic has blocked the copying from blu ray mucb like it has done with the usb hard drives as being only allowed through 1 device only. Never actually tried to copy via computer to a usb stick or usb card as they generally required formatting then again re-formatting as soon as you insert them in a Panasonic recorder or ever a SD card but might but as I have never tried this I might now have to experiment with this, my converter programs might work with them. again the version of card you suggest doesn’t appear on eBay HX if I remember, Experience is needed now but frustration is usually the only result I get, I could always remove a dvd drive bay,

Hi. A lot of facts I did not know, am I correct when saying Panasonic has blocked the copying from blu ray mucb like it has done with the usb hard drives as being only allowed through 1 device only. Never actually tried to copy via computer to a usb stick or usb card as they generally required formatting then again re-formatting as soon as you insert them in a Panasonic recorder or ever a SD card but might but as I have never tried this I might now have to experiment with this, my converter programs might work with them. again the version of card you suggest doesn’t appear on eBay HX if I remember, Experience is needed now but frustration is usually the only result I get, I could always remove a dvd drive bay,
Hi Again, reading what you say why then can the Panasonic read some blu ray discs crested on my laptop or computers and am I correct in saying thst a blu/ray disc cannot be finalised another reason it cannot be copied,

Hi, Again. Do not havd an sd card reader/writer as bays used for blu ray drive? Do you use a computer with these cards as I thought mpeg is not used now, can you format to mpeg2? as I thought the ones used in the computers would not be recognised by Panasonic or am I wrong, if so will have to look for an exterior card bay, obvious I do not know as much as I thought?

Can I suggest that this post is modified to read only the Panasonic BWT 720 now as it has nothing to do with the original but no idea if this is at all possible

It is possible to save your precious recordings. The method used is documented in a thread entitled "Restoration of Panasonic DMR EX78" on this forum. The procedure involves the use of Linux operating system, but was quick and effective. I think that the method applies to all models of a similar era at least and possible to all models anyway. Good luck.
Hi, read your reply, How do I view post, how does Linux achieve this. My computer are all running windows 10pro, read a lot about using Linux but never tried this myself. Is it possible to run both. I had Windows XP and windows 7 at one time but this was not done by me-probably I will just end up wiping the drive completely!

Pevers3, it is easy to copy recordings to a new HDD in Sky, non-Q boxes and to install larger HDDs.
Just go to Copy+, the free Sky & XTV disk copier software
Hi, I have tried Copy + but my computer refused to accept this. Resulting in thst blu screen of death so I just abandoned it, I tried to install this several times but always ending up with ghe same result

Can I suggest that this post is modified to read only the Panasonic BWT 720 now as it has nothing to do with the original but no idea if this is at all possible
I did suggest to the Mod in #17 to move parrts of this thread as they are about a different machine.

Hi Again, reading what you say why then can the Panasonic read some blu ray discs crested on my laptop or computers and am I correct in saying thst a blu/ray disc cannot be finalised another reason it cannot be copied,
Both DVD and BD discs can be written to either as data discs or as video discs.
You may have some of one and some of the other.
Fnalising can do 2 things:
Close the disc to stop being written to further
Create the video structure of files that DVD and BD video players require, these include such files as the opening menu file.

Hi, I have tried Copy + but my computer refused to accept this. Resulting in thst blu screen of death so I just abandoned it, I tried to install this several times but always ending up with ghe same result
I have used Copy+ without problem, sounds like you have pc problems if you get blu screen and also isdues burningbdiscs and using usb.

Both DVD and BD discs can be written to either as data discs or as video discs.
You may have some of one and some of the other.
Fnalising can do 2 things:
Close the disc to stop being written to further
Create the video structure of files that DVD and BD video players require, these include such files as the opening menu file.
The files being written are all
the same converted by the same media Converter but they not AVCHD flagged as Blu Ray by the converters so I suspect that the blu ray is different from one converter to the next. I did try a blu ray bd/re in my computer and found it to be; Video codec.MPEG-2.Frame size 730x576 Frame rate 25fps.Big rate 94.00.Audio codec MP2. Sample rate 48000 Hz.Size 26bit.Channel sterio.Bit rate.224kbps. I do not know whether this is standard or just pertaining to this converter, all very confusing to me

Have a look at ExPVR instead. Both pieces of software are outdated but ExPVR was updated more recently I believe...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom