Problems with panasonic dmr ex75 HDD recorder

I do still have a 720, 2 in fact plus 700 and some BS750s as well, but I don't now use them. I use network attached tv receivers to record tv.

You seem to be jumping all over the place with iso files, dlna and sd cards.
DLNA is great if you want to use the 720 to play recordings stored on your network or get say a pc on your network to play recordings from your 720.
But it is of no use to get recordings onto the hdd of the 720 which is what I thought you wanted to do.

The 720 can not transcode whilst copying and all sd recordings have to be mpeg2. The result is that it can play mp4, avc encoded recordings but it can not copy them to its hdd as they are not mpeg2. This may well be the reason you have been unable to copy to the 720.
Remember to copy to the 720 the usb format must be correct (not ntfs), the container must be correct (not mp4) and tge codecs must be correct (not avc).

As for sd cards, I did say that for copying to the 720 there is no advantage in using sd cards unless say your 720 usb circuitry is faulty.

I do still have a 720, 2 in fact plus 700 and some BS750s as well, but I don't now use them. I use network attached tv receivers to record tv.

DLNA is great if you want to use the 720 to play recordings stored on your network or get say a pc on your network to play recordings from your 720.
But it is of no use to get recordings onto the hdd of the 720 which is what I thought you wanted to do.
Hi, I agree with you, I am clutching at straws as I am not sure what I am doing with the usb stick or sd card, I have never used either with video. What are the starting points for either, can you recommend either instructions if. You tube vudeoqq
The 720 can not transcode whilst copying and all sd recordings have to be mpeg2. The result is that it can play mp4, avc encoded recordings but it can not copy them to its hdd as they are not mpeg2. This may well be the reason you have been unable to copy to the 720.
Remember to copy to the 720 the usb format must be correct (not ntfs), the container must be correct (not mp4) and tge codecs must be correct (not avc).

As for sd cards, I did say that for copying to the 720 there is no advantage in using sd cards unless say your 720 usb circuitry is faulty.

Hi, Basically I want to know, what is there a better method than I do now which is burn video video to dvd then copy to the Panasonic hard drive but this is a slow process and as I stated it is impossible do this with a blu ray disc,it may be that the blu ray cannot be finalised, I read the instructions but until you attempt the exercise you do not really know if it is possible or not,I have never used either usb or sd with video, the last time I used a card was in a camera I had years ago

Yes there is, as I have already outlined.
Copy the recordings to a USB stick on your pc, then insert the USB stick into the 720 front socket and copy to the internal hdd.
If your USB stick is big enough you could do all your recordings in one go.
BUT the USB format has to be correct and the file type correct and the codecs correct. However once you have got them all correct with a short test recording you can then do them all in one go.

Alternatively if you really just want to play them on the 720 then you could leave them on your pc and use dlna services to play recordings on your pc on the 720.

Yes there is, as I have already outlined.
Copy the recordings to a USB stick on your pc, then insert the USB stick into the 720 front socket and copy to the internal hdd.
If your USB stick is big enough you could do all your recordings in one go.
BUT the USB format has to be correct and the file type correct and the codecs correct. However once you have got them all correct with a short test recording you can then do them all in one go.

Alternatively if you really just want to play them on the 720 then you could leave them on your pc and use dlna services to play recordings on your pc on the 720.
Hi. It is on if you actually
Know what you are doing, I have never used this method before as I have relied on my various converters to do this for me, havd never bothered with codecs and file type ad they are all done in the converting and burning process, windows will not format a large usb to fat 32 so will the video software flnhhid

Windows will format large usb drives to fat32, its limit is much larger than the maximum size of usb memory you can buy, 8TB in fact, so no problem there and the 720's hdd is only 2TB.
You may be mixing up file size. Fat32 is limited to a file size of 4GB, but that sjould not be a problem for any normal length sd recordings.
I have told you which formats, containers and codecs to use.
Just try with a short recording first.

Windows will format large usb drives to fat32, its limit is much larger than the maximum size of usb memory you can buy, 8TB in fact, so no problem there and the 720's hdd is only 2TB.
You may be mixing up file size. Fat32 is limited to a file size of 4GB, but that sjould not be a problem for any normal length sd recordings.
I have told you which formats, containers and codecs to use.
Just try with a short recording first.
Hi, Read your reply, did format a supposed large drive but now it reads miserly 64mbs not even a gigabyte but it did show at one stage before format to fat32 it had a much larger capacity so it has somehow been corrupted,I know nothing about this type of media, it seems to be like a hard drive which had been partitioned incorrectly or is it just trash now. Dave

Hi, Read your reply, did format a supposed large drive but now it reads miserly 64mbs not even a gigabyte but it did show at one stage before format to fat32 it had a much larger capacity so it has somehow been corrupted,I know nothing about this type of media, it seems to be like a hard drive which had been partitioned incorrectly or is it just trash now. Dave
Hi, I should add I have tried to re-format in windows but it still shows the 64mbs capacity

Check its raw size using windows disc management

You may need to reinitialise then create a simple volume then gormat it.

Hi, I should add I have tried to re-format in windows but it still shows the 64mbs capacity
Hi,
It actually shows in the windows property window a Capacity of 59.7MB I am totally confused now and it is now NTFS

Hi, it now shows up a Genetic Mass Storage USB Device Properties with a Partition style Master Boot Revord (MBR) I thought that was a part of a bootable hard drive Check its raw size using windows disc management

You may need to reinitialise then create a simple volume then gormat it.

Have re-formatted as fat32 shows in disk management as Disk 1 Removable 61MB::-64MB (E:) 60 MB FAT (Healthy Primary Partition) so I have no idea now, it looks as though I was conned by the eBay seller

Yes but if only 64MB has been allocated that is all you will see.
Go as I said to disc management and look there and you will see the full raw size and from there you can delete that 64MB partition and create a new partition taking up all of the size and after that you can format it, as FAT32.

Have re-formatted as fat32 shows in disk management as Disk 1 Removable 61MB::-64MB (E:) 60 MB FAT (Healthy Primary Partition) so I have no idea now, it looks as though I was conned by the eBay seller
Now delete partition now show up ad 61MB Unallocated. Winfows says it now cannot format this

Now delete partition now show up ad 61MB Unallocated. Winfows says it now cannot format this
Hi, I think this usb drive us now useless,it Now a m shows up as 61MB Unallocated and is flashing continually and yet another flash drive 32Gb shows up as 29.82 FAT32 so nothing wrong with ports

Have you looked in disc management?
And no you wont be able to format until you have created a new simple volume.

Yes but if only 64MB has been allocated that is all you will see.
Go as I said to disc management and look there and you will see the full raw size and from there you can delete that 64MB partition and create a new partition taking up all of the size and after that you can format it, as FAT32.
Hi, Tried a repair option fir this usb I cannot find a n ID for it so unable to get makers brand. It looks like it is a cheap Chinese knock-off so I threw it out, however found a branded Lexmark 32gb which I then was able to copy and paste about 3gb of video which the Panasonic plays and in better quality than a dvd-re copy but will not copy to the hard drive but clicking on copy shows it will from an sd card, have you tried this

We know the 720 will play sd recordings in mp4 encapulations, but it will not copy them to the hdd. They have to be mpeg2 to both play and copy them.

We know the 720 will play sd recordings in mp4 encapulations, but it will not copy them to the hdd. They have to be mpeg2 to both play and copy them.
These are not marked as mp4, I thought I had converted them to MPEG2 as they come up as VIDEO_TS so I know realise how little I know about file formats,containers etc It is more complicated than I had thought

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep repeating the same facts.
To copy video recordings from USB memory sticks (or SD cards) the recordings must be MPEG2 if SD or AVCHD if HD. It will not copy if not in these file structures and encapsulations.
The 720 can play other types of recordings but not copy them to the HDD.

You say your recording is VIDEO_TS. This is a DVD type and NOT MPEG2 so it will not copy, so do not expect it to copy.
I proposed a free online converter to convert to MPEG2 to be able to prove to yourself that your 72p would copy to HDD.

Page 6 and 7 of the manual set out exactly what can be played and recorded on each media type, as outlined by jonoro above.

There are no workarounds to the limitations set out there. The recipes must be followed exactly to be able to succeed. Look at it closely.

Yes, that's correct.
Just going back to.this old thread again..
Re: DMR EX 75

I Was just thinking...
If I was to put the hard drive into an older (2006) machine .
Then would i be able to access the original recordings (2007) recordings

Just a thought 🤔

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom