1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with Panasonic 42" PWD6 or any Plasma owner in here please. Urgent!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Mant, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Mant

Mant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi ya, just doing this for a mate as he is in a bit of a pickle.

He has just bought one of these Panny 42" PWD6's and isnt sure if he should take the thing back to the shop as he seems to see an bad colour gradiation in things.

Ill try and explain it as well as I can...

The issue is, inital viewing is fine, though hes now noticing bad colour gradients almost like banding to shades and gradients in areas of the films like skys and backgrounds and flesh tones on peoples faces at times. Now going round there to have a look, I can see what he means but both not owning a plasma before were not sure if this is a common issue amung ALL plasmas.

We tried a few sources as we thought it might of been the DVD player, so I bought round my own Pioneer DV 656A and a high quality RGB Scart and we were still seeing this gradient scaling which makes us think its down to the DVD and the way its been produced, so we tried a few other titles using also Composite and SVideo and pretty much all had the same effect.

We then tested a Gamecube using RGB scart and that was hard to tell as things like Mario Sunshine had this gradient banding effect but that was down to the art direction so that was a bad example, moving on we plugged in his PC via VGA lead and I made up some gradients in photoshop and we ran that at proper resolution and at full screen. Green, Red and Blue faded to white gradients were fine, no banding so it wasnt that, so we decided to invert the colours so this time we see colours fading into blacks...

This was the problem it couldnt handle it!. Heres an example of how it looked..

Good Gradients into white
    [​IMG]

When we changed to black it was like this
    [​IMG]

Now this cant be normal can it?

One example that you guys could have a look at, is the THX animation just before the film on the TOY STORY DVD. There is banding on the black gradient at the top of the screen. See pic of where abouts.
    [​IMG]
    If some of you who have plasmas could check this out on yours and tell us if you see such black banding at the top section of gradient

Is this a common issue with plasmas being so sharp that it brings out the bad quality of Cable and DVD source feeds?? as thats what it seems to be doing. Its like its so sharp and being 42" too, so its big, its just showing up the bad quality compression of images on dvd movies and cable television.

He has less than 5days to possibly return this as something like this is causing this banding in everything we put through it.

Any views or opinions on this would help a great deal here.

Thanks very much

2. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Banding is one of the most common artefacts that you get from using a lossy compression algorithm on video (e.g. MPEG2 which is used in both DVDs and Digital Satellite / Cable).

It drives me nuts every time there's a scene with lots of mist or smoke. :(

So it's conceivable that the banding was always there before and you just didn't notice it. But it could also be that there's some filtering or dithering that the screen should be doing and isn't....

3. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +664
    I am sure that you will get a lot of replies to this, but if I understand your concerns correctly, this is not a fault.

Plasmas do suffer from 'banding'! Its completely normal, and you just have to live with it as 'one of those things'.

Gradients between certain colours are worse than others, but banding is something you will see a lot of!

I know that the PW5 is better than the PW4 in this regard, but don't know if the PW6 is any better than the previous models!

Jon

4. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reducing contrast and brightness settings removes some of the effect, as does ensuring the plasma is calibrated by Gordon, but as Jon says, it is a trait of plasma, particularly with lower bandwidth transmissions.