Problems with Paint....help needed

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by vinny914, Feb 2, 2014.

1. vinny914

vinny914

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    I need help painting some walls in our spare bedroom.
    It's coated with lining paper, and after the 1st coat of mocha - it was looking very good.
    We've applied a 2nd coat of paint and it's come up very patchy in the sunlight. Much worse than before.

We used an undercoat on the wallpaper before we started the mocha and I'm at a loss of what to do next.

B&Q advised to try a 3rd coat but before I do that, I wanted to see if anyone else has had the problem in the photo before.

Thanks ImageUploadedByAVForums1391357972.627291.jpg ImageUploadedByAVForums1391358010.425792.jpg

2. 10crazyfists

10crazyfists
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I would key the surface with fine grit paper first that way the paint has something to key to then add another coat. But in an ideal situation you would of been better taking off the lining and having it either skimmed or repair it yourself and then key it.

3. vinny914

vinny914

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    I'll try that tomorrow and let you know how I get on

4. J-a-m-e-s_7

J-a-m-e-s_7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi, what brand paint is it? What type of roller are you using short pile, medium etc? It could be caused due to a number of things. I'm not a decorator by trade but do general building/property work. It could be due to the surface you are painting on. It could also be that the paint is quite thick and drying out quickly making it hard to get an even finish. If it is quite thick you could try watering it down a bit to thin it, thus making it easier to apply. I have come across the problem before with b&q own brand "colours" paint and wickes trade. It may also be due to over rollering where you effectively go over certain areas a bit to much an end up taking some of the paint off which can leave it patchy and a bit rough to the touch. Another thing that could cause patchyness is if you have gone over and area to touch up. I would recommend the hamilton micro fibre roller heads. Reasonable price and great finish never had a problem with them. If the pile is too short it may not cover aswell if the wall isnt completely flat as the pile isnt thick enough to give an even coat of paint over hollows etc.

Couple of tips when painting. I would always tend to paint nearest the window first and work away so you can see how the light hits it as this will be what the eye is attracted to when you come in the room. Also, try the keep the roller action smooth and consistent. You should be able to load the roller and basically go from the bottom of the wall to the top in an average house ceiling height. Keep an even preasure on the roller and also a wet edge and this should ensure a good finish so you dont see a line where one roller ended and where you started again. Sorry i dont mean to offend or blame you, i'm sure your decorating skills are perfectly fine. It may just be the paint as usually you dont come across this problem too often.

Hope that helps

James

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  5. vinny914

vinny914

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Thanks James.

I'm going to lightly sand the wall. Wipe clean. I've also just invested in a good quality 12" roller set and will follow your techniques on the smaller wall first and see how that dries tomorrow.

Will update soon.

6. salsheikh

salsheikh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wouldnt sanding the lining paper tear it?

i'd personally remove it and paint the plaster

7. has2mow

has2mow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +581
    DSCF0702.JPG Google B&Q paint problems, you will find loads , heres what mines doing. Not sure whats going on but been told to remove it from all 5 rooms.

8. maclover

maclover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    buy some decent paint, Dulux or a 'trade paint'

9. J-a-m-e-s_7

J-a-m-e-s_7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Word of warning watch out for trade paints as they are generally harder to apply and get a good finish with unless you use them day in day out such as decorators. For diy use i would stick with crown/dulux etc. I hear all to often people using trade paint thinking its better/cheaper/less paint required/ better coverage etc and then not happy with the finish at the end. Patchy, orange peal effect and so.

B&Q own brand paints have a complete satisfaction guarantee. So if you have experienced problems or you are not happy with it take it back and get your money back!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  10. J-a-m-e-s_7

J-a-m-e-s_7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    That almost looks like a poor mans Artex. Paint is obviously not adhering properly to the surface below. Has matt been painted over silk do you know? All loose will need scraping/ sanding off before anything else can be done.

11. has2mow

has2mow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +581
    DSCF0706.JPG Thanks james for your input.

Been here for 10 years decorated twice, previous paints have always been vinyl matt, sugar soaped and sanded prior to painting.

If i try to repair a patch i scrape and sand back all seems well then the paint starts to lift around the edges so i end up with a bigger patch, i think the only thing to do is to remove it all, may try a wall paper stripper to see if that will lift it of quickly.

12. maclover

maclover

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Good luck with it, we moved into our house the previous owners had whacked silk everywhere :zonked: - Hate that stuff with a passion.
    Then in our hall, they couldn't be bothered to paint it completely so left a little bit where they couldn't reach at the top with the paint roller/brush.

And the previous owner to them, was a real whacko - hallway was lime green, bathroom blue, kitchen yellow, master bedroom orange.

13. salsheikh

salsheikh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that effect is when the paint has been applied too thickly.
    use a wallpaper stripper to remove the lining and paint the walls. always apply in thin coats to get a good finish. one or two thick coats may speed up the process but will always cause issues with the finished look

14. jas0n

jas0n
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Vinny 914 looks as though you havent applied the paint evenly, seems as you have applied the paint and rolled it out till there is nothing on the roller. I never let the roller get to that stage when applying paint to the wall or it will dry off patchy.
    Also i find lining paper sometimes needs 3 coats as it absorbs some paints.
    You can sand and fill lining paper but just dont go o.t.t. when rubbing it down and try to use a grade from 80-120 sandpaper.