Quantcast

Problems with NTL cable broadband & Netgear DG834G Router...

NinjaMonkeyUK

Well-known Member
Right, I have a slight problem.

My girlfriend decided she needed a router for her uni flat this year so I got her the same one I have (Netgear DG834G) thinking she would sign up for an ADSL service.

Instead she signed up for NTL which uses a cable modem. Here's the problem: I've got the cable modem working on 1 of the PCs (laptop in living room), but I don't know how I can connect the cable modem to the router. The router is actually a combined ADSL modem, firewall & 4-port switch.

Does anyone know if it is possible to connect the cable modem to one of the LAN ports on the router and share the connection in some way to the other 2 computers connected on the free ports? Is that possible? Or will the router have to go back to Amazon?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
 

KraGorn

Novice Member
No, you can't connect it to a LAN port, it has to be on the WAN side and it can't go there because there's the ADSL modem in the way.

Sorry, but you need to replace it with just a normal router with a conventional RJ45 WAN-side connection.

However you may be able to do without, depending on the capabilities of the PC you have connected, theoperating systems concerned and this PC's usage.

There's a Windows feature called 'Internet Connection Sharing' which allows one PC to act as a 'gateway' to others using a technique called 'bridging'. Basically, this PC has 2 ethernet connections, 1 to the Internet and the other to a second PC for which it provides a 'gateway' service so that this second PC can access the Internet as well.

Of course the gateway needs two ethernet ports but many modern motherboards do have two of these.

Be warned, this isn't a problem-free technique, bridging can be a pain to get working if things don't go smoothly and of course it means both PCs have to be on if the second one wants Internet access.

I mention it because it is a possible solution, though IMHO not at all worth the small cost of a router.
 
M

Maff et1

Guest
No this isn't possible.

You need an ethernet router rather than ADSL, it may be advertised as ethernet or cable router. The equivalent netgear would be something like this: http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_firewall_router_wgr614.php

Rather than an ADSL wan connection these devices have an ethernet port, which connects to the ethernet port on the cable modem.
 

NinjaMonkeyUK

Well-known Member
Thanks for your replies.

I know all about ICS but ruled it out due to the gateway PC having to be on whenever the other PC needs a connection.

I was pretty sure the router would have to go back - thanks for suggesting the cable router! I'll tell her to get that instead.

Thanks!
 

KraGorn

Novice Member
NO!

You don't want a 'cable router' .. that would imply the presence of a cable modem just as an 'ADSL router' implies the presence of an ADSL modem.

All you need is a 'ethernet router', plain and simple, with an RJ45 ethernet port on the WAN side just like the RJ45s on the LAN side. :)
 

NinjaMonkeyUK

Well-known Member
Well I checked out the Netgear WGR614 router linked above and it is definitely what I need - there are 5 LAN ports - 1 on the WAN side and 4 on the LAN side and there's even a diagram which shows the router plugged into an external cable modem.

Thanks people!
 
M

Maff et1

Guest
KraGorn said:
NO!

You don't want a 'cable router' .. that would imply the presence of a cable modem just as an 'ADSL router' implies the presence of an ADSL modem.

All you need is a 'ethernet router', plain and simple, with an RJ45 ethernet port on the WAN side just like the RJ45s on the LAN side. :)
Cable routers ARE ethernet routers - as there is no standard to cable communications and presentations. They all work by connecting to your cable modem.

They are sometimes advertised as 'cable' modems and sometimes 'ethernet', so it's helpful to know they are the same thing.
 

IronGiant

Moderator
We have NTL broadband and use a Belkin router I picked up from PCWorld, I'll post details later,

dave
 

KraGorn

Novice Member
Maff et1 said:
Cable routers ARE ethernet routers - as there is no standard to cable communications and presentations. They all work by connecting to your cable modem.

They are sometimes advertised as 'cable' modems and sometimes 'ethernet', so it's helpful to know they are the same thing.
Okay, if you say so .. however in the past I have seen a 'cable router' with a built-in cable modem, whether that was special, US-only or whatever I don't know but it's because I'd seen one I mentioned it.


Iron Monkey said:
Well I checked out the Netgear WGR614 router linked above and it is definitely what I need - there are 5 LAN ports - 1 on the WAN side and 4 on the LAN side and there's even a diagram which shows the router plugged into an external cable modem.
Pedantically there are 5 RJ45 ethernet connectors, 1 WAN and 4 LAN. :)

And yes that router works fine .. it's one I have with NTL, I didn't realise they were still current models otherwise I'd have mentioned it. If you're going to use WiFi make sure you secure it properly, out of the box it's wide open. :(
 
M

Maff et1

Guest
KraGorn said:
Okay, if you say so .. however in the past I have seen a 'cable router' with a built-in cable modem, whether that was special, US-only or whatever I don't know but it's because I'd seen one I mentioned it.
Hmm, maybe there are then. I throught not as I couldn't find any information on cable specific routers when I was sorting out a router for my sister. There again, as is usually the case with NTL I lost the will to live fairly quickly.
 

Similar threads

Top Bottom