problems with new sigma 70-300

Baron Von Doom

Prominent Member
Reaction score
After getting advice here i went for the Sigma 70-300mm apo lens. I used it about a week ago with no problems.
ive just got it out again and been having a few problems. cant get the camera to display any aperture settings. i just get two dashes where the f value is displayed. With a bit of fiddling sometimes removing and refitting the lens it comes back on, but will soon go again.
Just wondered if anyone else has had this problem?
going to contact one stop digital tomorrow
camera is a Pentax k100d

Try moving the little switch on the side of the lense and setting the apperture ring back to 22..

think thats what i did with mine..

ive tried moving the ring and putting it back to auto and locking it.
it only ever worked on auto anyway. any other setting just goes blank.

on the ring nearest the camera there is a little switch which should show an orange dot when the aperture ring is locked to 22.

as the others have already said.

cheers

been to camera shop this morning. guy in shop had a good look then tried other lenses. seems the lens has a fault somewhere :(
just what i needed, got an airshow to go to in a couple of weeks. just hope i can sort it by then

I've been looking at this lens - how do people rate it? Is it straightforward to use, or are there lots of fiddly buttons/rings which need to be set up in order for it to autofocus etc ?

I've been looking at this lens - how do people rate it? Is it straightforward to use, or are there lots of fiddly buttons/rings which need to be set up in order for it to autofocus etc ?

apart from the problems i had its a good lens. ill be keeping it when i get it changed.simple to use. like most lenses it has a ring for zoom and one for focus. Theres a ring for the aperture but it locks onto an auto position.
theres a few pics i took at an airshow with this lens on my flickr site in my sig

I love mine. It only has a switch for macro range, allowing the lens to focus down to 3ft/1M and get 1/2 life size macros, apart from the usual focus and zoom rings The body controls the auto/manual focus.
The only thing I miss is VR/IS, but for the price this is a very good lens with excellent IQ. (Make sure it is the APO version)
Nikon D40/x owners need to be aware that it does not have a built in focus motor, so will not AF on these bodies.

Mike

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom