1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with new room build

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by RaaSERi, Oct 20, 2015.

1. RaaSERi

RaaSERi
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello,

I am forced to change room and now building small home theater room and i have problems with my equipment placements because of doors.
    Can anyone give some suggestions?

My gear is:
    denon avr 4520
    amphion one18x5
    svs pb13-ultra
    epson video projector and 80" screen

picture for room size and doors etc.

[​IMG]

2. CommanderLake

CommanderLake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    I'd probably put the screen in front of the window if its a retractable one.

3. Navvie

Navvie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    Assuming screen isn't fixed... I'd put it in front of the loft and closet doors... who's going to want to go in there whilst your watching films/tv/gaming?

4. RaaSERi

RaaSERi
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if front of loft there is problem with center speaker placement because loft door

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  5. masopa

masopa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    How about mounting your centre speaker in the door?! Cut a hole, reinforce around the hole from the back of the door with some 45x45 timber and mount your speaker into the gap. Sonically it could be pretty similar to placing the speaker in the middle of a huge room (because of the lack of rear reflection), which is pretty ideal?

6. RaaSERi

RaaSERi
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. masopa

masopa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hmmm... that's trickier then. You could build a speaker-sized double-wall enclosure out of MDF/ply (similar to that used for infinite baffle subs) and mount that to the rear of the door as a housing for the speaker (behind the hole) - basically turning it into a conventional soffit-fit. You'll lose some lower bass but presume you're running with a sub anyway?

8. RaaSERi

RaaSERi
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah got that svs-pb13ultra

9. masopa

masopa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Very nice! You'll be fine for bass then, except when the room modes come in to play :)

Things you might want to think about - what is the door made of (solid = ideal, hollow = not ideal) and a quick double-check it's not a fire door (cutting a big hole in a fire door might cause issues with building regs ;))

An alternative would be to flip the room around with the screen & speakers at the other end. You might want to replace the existing WC door with a pocket (aka hidden sliding) door - would look cool and make the most of the space - since there's no "swing" space required.

10. RaaSERi

RaaSERi
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    all doors is solid wood, what you think that if i blacken window and put screen there ? i done few sweep runs and looks like that work quite well. but that sliding door not sound too bad choice too need to change speaker placements and do few sweeps that way too.

ceiling is done with black ecophon acoustic material already and walls etc is painted to black so need to check first reflections etc after i find place for speakers and screens.

And sold my projector yesterday and now i need to buy new one...

11. masopa

masopa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Only downside to doing it "sideways" (for want of a better description) is the slightly narrower dimensions - you might find your seating pushed up against the rear wall. You'd probably have a bit more space the other way around.

Having said that, you might want to do a bit of speaker placement simulation inside REW to see which orientation gives you better/worse room modes.

Is your screen AT? Putting the centre behind the screen isn't such a great idea if it isn't ;) Imaging should be better if you're able to mount the centre at the same height (in terms of tweeters) as the L/R.