1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with new Panny 6UY Consumer models?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by AVS Brett, Oct 4, 2003.

1. AVS Brett

AVS Brett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,

I guess I'm a newbie here, posting mostly at AVS where Joe Fernand and others know me.

Ready to jump the gun for Panasonic's latest (and greatest?) I first wanted to see for myself if the 6UY series panel corresponds to my demanding criteria, as I have a 9" CRT front projector in the main HT.

I'm writing this thread not to cry "sour grapes", but because I have only found 2 shops in Paris where the new 6UY series Panasonic are visible in their 42" form with tuner: Darty Ternes and Magma. But because this has made it next to impossible to ascertain this new display's image quality in the real world.

It is not to either of the store's credit that the way they are set up is disgraceful, that is, unless there is some *serious problem* with this new 6UY series?!?

In the Darty store, the display exhibited a graininess that I had never seen on a Panasonic plasma of previous generations. I popped in my own reference Pal DVD into the Panny DVD player it was hooked up to via SCART, and presto: hazy, jittery picture lacking of all things in CONTRAST !!!

The Magma store was worse yet. It almost looked purposely misadjusted. It had such light grey black levels that it made Pioneers look pitch black in comparison. Funny enough, on the adjacent wall there was a 37" Panasonic panel displaying CRT quality contrast and superb black levels and colors. They were respectively the best, and the worst, displays in a shop filled with running plasma screens.

This leaves a number of questions unanswered:

1. Is the consumer model with its built-in tuner "botched" as compared to the commercial PWD units? (nasty scaler, defective inputs, lower bandwidth)

2. Does the recent quasi 100-Hz Pal refresh circuit throw a monkey wrench into the picture quality?

3. Were all 4000:1 contrast level units designed so at the sacrifice of other essential image characteristics - and should one thus prefer the previous 5UY models even if without native rate DVI?

4. Are the 6UY Panasonics such a hot item that both stores purposely grossly misadjusted them to steer people towards other more profitable or easier to get models? (I imagine some brands give them goodies for pushing sales)

5. Or has their sales staff fallen in love with these displays, and plan on trying to buy the floor model themselves for cheap, thus cranking down its light output as low as possible, thus preserving its lifespan and dissuading paying customers from asking to purchase the demo unit?

Something is going on in the Panny Plasma world - who can't say what exactly? :confused:

2. rosbif

rosbif
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brett,

Have you found anywhere in France that will sell any decent Plasma at a price anywhere near the UK? Seems to be Thomson or Samsung and that is about it...

Adrian
    (Chantilly)

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the current PW6 panny and the PA20 are INHO excellent plasma screen better than Fujitsu HHA models and superior to the PW5 it seem (post by rosbif) that in france plasma's are not well understood! the PA20 is almost as good as the PD30 CRT!!!!

4. AVS Brett

AVS Brett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rosbif,

The best places for pricing (shops where you can actually discuss the final installed price) are Magma and Cobra in Paris. They'll work something out, but you won't come close to the German internet vendors online, for which you'd have to add about 100€ extra for shipping. Not a bad idea, except for Fujitsu which may not honor its warrantee if sold over the web?

Hiya Dragonguy,

I see you're a vendor. So you've probably had a chance to run these babies through some loops to get an idea of what they can do! Us mere mortals, have to fend through poorly setup floor displays in shops often unworthy of that name. Just got a class in "How to buy a plasma" from a salesguy who was speaking slow as I probably wouldn't understand. :D

I did see a Panasonic PA20 better set-up at the Darty store in La Défense - that's Paris' business district for you folks elsewhere. As good as others there, this time, but certainly not the eye-jarring WoW factor of the previous generation, none of that great 3D effect, can't understand why. Could it be that the former models' out of the box settings were smack on, making for good store viewing, but that this latest SUY series has lousy default settings? Hmmm...

Cheers,

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I dont know BrettSurely there are ways round this problem??? Have you tried Dutch ouytlets as they seem to be more competitive with UK prices or get a cheap flight to the UK!!! the huge differences are difficult to comprehend for me!!!

6. AVS Brett

AVS Brett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OT: Yeah, the UK rocks when it comes to dedicted installers and brick and mortar sellers willing to make a deal. :cool:

I'll probably have a panel trucked (lorried on this board meseems)in from the UK or Germany where a price is a price, and a sale is a sale.

Back On Topic: For what it's worth, the Panasonic PA20 panel, which I saw working properly for once, didn't "eclipse" the other displays on the wall the way the earlier generation models of the same brand did. Two things have apparently occured simultaneously: the other brands have significantly improved their image characteristics, at least with standard slow moving demo pictures, and Panasonic's entry level model has lost some of its punch at least using the out of the box settings. What each can become using a Colorfacts grayscale calibration for each input and hooking up reference quality sources is another ball of wax.

To illustrate that this is not conjecture, the other (AVS) forum across the "BIG" pond has accounts of folks who although impressed by the Panasonic PA20 found that Toshiba panels were noticeably better. The prior Toshiba 42 incher was reportedly using Panasonic glass, the more recent ones seem to use NEC glass...

Cheers,

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    interesting the PW6 is an improvement over the PW5 but on paper its the best panny screen the Straight PW6 with the right setup may be a little better but even budget plasma are getting very good what they will look like after 3 years of use is different though!

8. AVS Brett

AVS Brett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some folks are suggesting that the Panasonic consumer models add internal signal processing (read: muck up the signal) to DVI input. So far this is just a supposition, based upon difficulty in getting a clean cristal clear image using native rate DVI. Anyone here experience the same?