1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems With New Firewire Crad?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Josie112, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Josie112

Josie112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having followed some very helpful advice in a previous thread I have purchased and installed the following firewire card 'PCI Firewire 1394A Card with 3 External and 1 Internal Port - OEM' from Ebuyer.com. into my Dell Dimension 8400 (Windows XP). The installation was straightforward, and the card slotted straight in with a satisfying click.

My problem is this. My PC recognises the new hardware and the hardware wizard appears with a message box which reads:

The file 'enum 1394.sys' on Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM is needed.
    Type the path where the file is located and then click OK

In response to this I have used my XP re-installation CD on the assumption that the hardware wizard would then 'take over' and do the rest. This hasn't happened. Instead I have been given various options from the CD that don't progress the hardware wizard process. I have also tried browsing for C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers but, again, the hardware wizard doesn't 'take over'

I'm stuck - what else can I try?

2. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Have you tried going into device manager , find your firewire card , select to get new drivers & point it to the XP CD-ROM in your drive ?

3. Josie112

Josie112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks vonhosen,

When I try to do what you suggest the Hardware Wizard gives the following message:

The file 'enum 1394.sys' on Windows XP Home Edition CD-ROM is needed.
    Type the path where the file is located and then click OK

I have used my my XP re-installation CD at this point but it doesn't 'take over' and install the card. I have also tried the browse option and navigated to C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers but, again the installation does not begin? (There is no file called 'enum 1394.sys' in the drivers folder).

Any further suggestions are most definitely welcome.

4. morden8uk

morden8uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hear of your trouble there.... its not unusual with a prebuild PC and a system recovery CD.. is there anyone who could pop round with a full retail version to assist?.

Is that .sys file available over the net?.

Sorry not much of an answer I know!! :rolleyes: I have rebuilt (software wise) some many peoples PC's like these.

All the best

Rob

5. morden8uk

morden8uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0