Problems with my XE1 and HD DVD

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by brian s, May 1, 2007.

1. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,284
    I have several problems with my XE1.

Very bad lipsync on all standard def DVDs.

Audio dropout on all CDs.

Video judder/3:2pulldown on La Haine HD DVD.

Motion defects on Mission Impossible 3 HD DVD. Not unlike poor NTSC to PAL conversion. Maybe 3:2 pulldown again?

Judder and complete lock up of the XE1 with the Children Of Men HD DVD.

I posted a thread a while back about "judder" on my La Haine disc. I had been hoping that the 1.3 update would cure this. Some of you said you said you'd had no problems while others said it was 3:2 pulldown. I contacted Toshiba and they said it's a faulty disc, get a replacement. I then contacted Studio Canal. They said the disc is fine, It's down to 3:2 pulldown.

Since updating with 1.3 I've had very bad lipsync with all DVDs. Before the update all but 1 disc played fine. CDs have audio dropout but I don't know if that was happening before the update.

Children Of Men locked up my machine completely and I had to pull the lead out. It was the only way to stop it. MI3's motion defects ruined my enjoyment of the film.

I have a Yamaha DSP-AX2 amp and a Pioneer PDP-5000EX plasma. The XE1 is hooked directly to the plasma via HDMI for picture and to the amp via both analogue and coaxial for sound.

I've been reading many other posts on these matters. Some are saying they are having no problems at all and some say the problems are minor and worth putting up with because HD DVD is so good. These matters will be put right with updates at some future point.

The 3 problem HD DVDs I have means that half of my collection have faults. Not a very good average. The motion defects I find unacceptable and no disc fault should lock the player up so bad that I have to pull the plug on it

The lipsync issue means I can't use it as an upscaler and it's also useless as a CD player.

Before I go back to Toshiba I just wondered if anyone has any thoughts or solutions to these problems. I would very much like to stay with HD DVD but am very disappointed so far.

Thanks in advance
    Bri

2. glynhughes

glynhughes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Send it back and take a refund.

Seems owners of the XE1 fall into one of two camps;
    1. people who have no problems at all and feel that problems like lip synch are not due to the XE1.
    2. people like you and me who very much feel that their problems are most definitely due to the player and only the player. (we at least have logic on our side)

people in camp 1 are most certainly in the minority.

I think it's quite likely that the XE1 will never be fixed by a firmware update - simply because Toshiba are in denial that there's even a problem to fix.

I'd bail out now if I were you - these problems will probably disappear as new models come along (plus your money will go further as they come down in price too).

3. CarbonToe

CarbonToe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have lip syncing issues on SD-DVD's but it is more noticable on some disks than others.

Sometimes a CD will stop playing but I don't get audio dropout whilst the disk is 'working'

As for your other issues I don't get any of them.

I use Analogue connections to a Denon AVC-1SE

4. TrevorS

TrevorS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Universal is currently evaluating COM for a manufacturing defect -- some work, some don't.

I understand some people are especially sensitive to 3:2 pull down with 60Hz display -- perhaps that includes you. Toshiba is supposedly coming out this summer with a firmware update to support 1080p24 ouput, but that would require a display that can accept and display it.

Most likely, if there is a verifyable lip-synch issue, it is correctible via firmware (especially so if it was introduced via firmware). Toshiba didn't seem to acknowledge the HDMI->DVI-D issues, but then they publically emphasized that specific area in the last A1/XA1 firmware release. I would wager they are taking the issue seriously. (There's a thread discussing it on AVSforum as well -- haven't read it myself.)

As has probably been already mentioned -- make sure your discs are properly clean.

5. brian s

brian s
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,284
    I know COM has had problems and I'm one of the few (only one) on the these pages to buy La Haine but has anyone else had any problems with MI3?

How good is my Pioneer PDP-5000EX likely to be with any firmware update Tosh put out to cope with the 3:2 pulldown?

I always treat my discs with great care and the HD DVD problems are happening on first play straight out of the box. The CDs play no problem on other macines.

Cheers Bri

6. TrevorS

TrevorS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Both SD DVD and HD DVD can require cleaning right-out-of-the box. Residues can be present that are not obvious to the eye. Try cleaning them before you decide it's definitely the player (don't just wipe, use a gentle cleaning fluid -- an example would even be mild dishwashing detergent with a good rinse and pat dry with a lint free cloth.)

If cleaning/washing doesn't solve the problem and many discs exhibit the problem, then I would consider getting a replacement player.

I don't think Toshiba views 3:2 pulldown as a problem per se'. This is normal operation for a large segment of the world with SD DVD (just as playing 24fps film at 25fps is normal for a large segment of the world.)

Many enthusiasts want to obtain 24fps capable players and displays in order to get rid of 3:2 judder, either on principle or because it actually bothers them. This seems to be a fairly new market -- given that consumer video equipment capable of supporting 24fps input seems to be a fairly new arrival on the marketplace. That creates a demand for a "new" feature -- 1080p24. Toshiba HD DVD is going there, it's just not yet clear exactly when it'll arrive. :)

As far as the display device is concerned -- it would need to support 1080p24 input, and it would need to be able to display no less than 1080p48, preferably 1080p72 (in order to avoid flicker issues.)

7. telford_mike

telford_mike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Your CD audio problems can be fixed by using the analogue outputs from the player into your amp. Not ideal I know, but it works.