Problems with my Transporter

Rich

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Due to more or less a complete system change, it was hard to tell how good my Transporter was, I've gone over to in-wall speakers, so I thought the reduction in quality, was because of that.
But I've taken out my Escient player out of it's box and tried it, to see how it compares, I'm gutted.......it sounds miles better than the Transporter, I've also tried the digital out of the Transporter into a Onkyo PR-SC885, this sounds almost as good as straight into my amp(using the analogues out's), I've tried changing the attenuation, but it doesn't help.
The Transporter sounds muffled with less bass, the Escient sounds really clear, loads of bass, cymbals sound clearer.......just everything is just better sounding.

I can't really understand why the transporter sounds so bad, it should be miles better than the Escient, but it doesn't :(

Well, I've just been to my local Linn stockist and tried both the Escient and the transporter, and got the same results, the transporter was very disappointing, the Escient was much better.
I then tried a Sneaky, which was a big improvement over both the Escient and the Transporter, then I tried the Majik, which was excellent.
I've got a Majik on order now :)

It's really puzzled me, how bad the Transporter sounded, as it's quite well regarded in this section of the forum :confused:

The shop did offer a demo of the Akurate, but I refused, I know it's supposed to be even better, but I couldn't afford it anyway, so no point demoing it.

Not sure I follow you, but when you are comparing the SB3 with the Linns are you using the transporter's onboard DAC or just streaming it to another DAC?

Through analogue, although I tried through the Onkyo and an old Arcam dac as well.

I am just about to purchase the Transporter. Would you recommend the Linn sneaky over it taking into account the poor GUI?

I wouldn't be exaggerating if I said the Transporter was my worst ever purchase, even the guys in the shop were staggered at how bad it sounded, the Sneaky was a big step up in quality, the Majik even more so.

I've read on another forum, that the Linn DS's are now compatible with squeezecenter.

>even the guys in the shop were staggered at how bad it sounded<

What are the chances that it is/was faulty? Can't imagine Stereophile would give it such a positive review otherwise.

>even the guys in the shop were staggered at how bad it sounded<

What are the chances that it is/was faulty? Can't imagine Stereophile would give it such a positive review otherwise.

Well after looking inside one the other day, there isn't that much inside to go wrong.

OK I just saw how they cost new :eek: and I see what you mean. I had no idea they were that much. It should sound pretty good for that.
But it should sound good through a DAC anyway; even my basic SB3 sounds as good as any CD transport I've tried when I put it through my Chord DAC (though not through the SC885; I don't rate this for stereo).

I am just about to purchase the Transporter. Would you recommend the Linn sneaky over it taking into account the poor GUI?

Have you considered the SB+?

Have you considered the SB+?

I had but all my equipment + furniture is black (apart from Sky+ :() so, although a little superficial, decided against it. Have now placed an order for the Linn Majik. Got a very good deal (compared to how much they're currently selling for - £1,750.00) at £1,350.00 brand new delivered.

I had but all my equipment + furniture is black (apart from Sky+ :() so, although a little superficial, decided against it. Have now placed an order for the Linn Majik. Got a very good deal (compared to how much they're currently selling for - £1,750.00) at £1,350.00 brand new delivered.

You ******* :rolleyes::DI paid full price, worth it though.

You won't be disappointed, it's a really great player.

Thanks. Your thread plus other reading pushed me over to Linn :)
Would love to do an a/b compaison with the Transporter.

&#9441;&#9432;&#9426;&#9431;&#9424;&#9441;&#9427;;8680614 said:
You ******* :rolleyes::DI paid full price, worth it though.

You won't be disappointed, it's a really great player.

Are you using an all Linn system? I take it it'll still sound good in another system with good quality components?

Last edited:
Are you using an all Linm system? I take it it'll still sound good in another system with good quality components?

Amp is a Dussun D9, speakers are Polk RTS105's.

So the rest of the system should be upto the job......I hope :rolleyes:

The Linn Sneaky was reviewed in PC PRo

"The DS failed to play quite a few of our MP3 tracks and Flac files for no reason we could fathom, and often required a reboot to recover.

For a player with such high-end pretensions, this is a big disappointment.

Verdict: Impeccable audio quality and beautiful design but undermined by truly awful control software. "

"The DS failed to play quite a few of our MP3 tracks and Flac files for no reason we could fathom, and often required a reboot to recover.

Verdict: Impeccable audio quality and beautiful design but undermined by truly awful control software. "

I'm sure I read somewhere that the DS's don't like other file formats in the music folder, it makes them freeze up, you have to re-boot it, to make it work again (I don't know if that includes album covers :eek:, that will be a real pain to sort out)
I'm glad my player is being installed by the shop where I bought it.

In terms of control, the Majik is a little different to the Sneaky as the unit comes with a screen and a handset is provided. I've read the above review but haven't heard about failure to play certain files anywhere else. I hope it doesn't apply to the Majik :confused:

Last edited:
I had the Majik installed today.
I'm really pleased with it, the sound is stunning, my system now sounds the best it ever has, which is good considering I've got in-wall speakers now.
The software seems fine, it's a bit less easy to use than squeezecenter, but I'm sure it will improve.
The high res' stuff sounds amazingly good, I just wish there was more available.

It looks good and seems well built compared to the Transporter I had.

What controller you use with majik? How is the bundled remote?

&#9441;&#9432;&#9426;&#9431;&#9424;&#9441;&#9427;;8728761 said:
I had the Majik installed today.
I'm really pleased with it, the sound is stunning, my system now sounds the best it ever has, which is good considering I've got in-wall speakers now.

What controller you use with majik? How is the bundled remote?

I've been using a laptop as the controller, I haven't even taken the remote out of the box yet, I believe it's the same remote that you get with their CD players, you can't select tracks or anything like that, it's only for play, stop, next track.....etc.

one of my mate is saying, several other devices in his room is responding to majik remote. can you please check, if possible?

thankyou

&#9441;&#9432;&#9426;&#9431;&#9424;&#9441;&#9427;;8747865 said:
I've been using a laptop as the controller, I haven't even taken the remote out of the box yet, I believe it's the same remote that you get with their CD players, you can't select tracks or anything like that, it's only for play, stop, next track.....etc.

one of my mate is saying, several other devices in his room is responding to majik remote. can you please check, if possible?

thankyou

I can't sorry, I'm at work.
If it's any help.......I think there's something in the Linn config program, that tells the remote what to control.......eg. just the DS or you can have it set to operate other Linn equipment.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom