Problems With My Sky Digi Box?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by wokeye, Apr 22, 2005.

1. wokeye

wokeye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I have one of the original Sky digi boxes made by Pace, I cannot remember the model number but it is old and slow at scrolling through menu's etc. I know this is just the way the box is but recently I have started getting other problems. Some channels just do not work and some do, some will say "No Satellite Signal Being Received" and others work fine :rolleyes: Sometimes none work, like the other night :thumbsdow And sometimes all work, and occasionally the picture starts to break up when the weather seems fine :(

I am wondering is this more than likely to be my digi-box that is screwed or could in be the dish or the thingy in the middle of the dish :suicide:

I was thinking of getting another box anyway as the Pace's snail like operation really bugs me :mad: Just wondered what are the preffered brands. Been looking on Ebay and Grundig's seem to be pretty cheap as do Amstrad, or am I better off paying more? I am just not sure what to buy as I do not want something that is slow like my Pace, but also want a good picture I guess.

Thanks for any advice :smashin:

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Is is possible to try a friends digibox on your dish?
    That is the easiest and cheapest way for a non-techie to diagnose a problem, if the picture still breaks up then the dish/lnb/cable are a problem and if the reception is fine then the digibox is at fault.

Grundig no longer make digiboxes and older Amstrads should be avoided, apart from those any recent model from PACE, Panasonic, Thomson or Amstrad should be fine.
    However given that SKY offer a £65 flat rate call out which includes all parts and labour that may be a better alternative especially if their is a weakness in the system as a whole.

3. GGTVBD

GGTVBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    wokeye,

Try channels 504 & 507. What do you get? If 504's missing it'll probably be the (Cambridge?) LNB. (or 'thingy in the middle of the dish' :D )

I disagree strongly with Starburst regarding replacements. Panasonic haven't made digiboxes for quite a while now, Thomson's & Amstrad's are crap, which leaves the Pace DS-430N.

Still think an LNB (or 'thingy in the middle of the dish' :D ) will cure your problem though. Worth trying for a tenner innit?

A. Dork

4. wokeye

wokeye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Thanks for the replies guys. Arthur Dork it is a Cambridge LNB and yes I think I will try replacing this first. Thanks again ;)