1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with my Philips 9525

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Titan28, Apr 22, 2002.

1. Titan28

Titan28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I recently bought a Philips 9525 32" tv after my previous set, the Philips 6515,
    developed terrible 'tea staining'. Apart from this fault (which apparently is a tube fault with the 6515) I was really happy with picture....for a sub £1000 set i was impressed. So it was a shame that i had to change sets..... but I thought I'll stay with Philips and upgrade to the 9525 32" after reading many a glowing report. Indeed, the guy at Lakes (where I bought the set) also rated it.

So the day came when the 9525 was delivered and I was pretty excited to see the new set in my front room. I switched the set on..... and my heart sank when I saw the quality of the picture from a scart input.... which i can only describe as appaling. The main problems are that any scart input, even the RGB socket, is quite blurry....almost to the point of it looking like a rf signal! Now I watch a lot of DVD's and also play my PS2 alot. This is where it really showed up how bad the picture was...... when playing games like GT3, normally super sharp and colourful (as it was on the lower model the 6515) looked blured, grainy and very wishy washy. I went through all the settings....turning natural motion, digital scanning.....100htz etc on and off....still looked terrible.....

How can a lesser set give a better picture?.... and I'm finding it hard to understand why this set got such good reviews. I really think the set is too clever for it's own good.....

So....speaking with Lakes who have been tremendous through all of this have suggested me trying the Sony KV32LS35 the 100hz one..... does anyone know if this set is a good one or not? In the showroom it gives a far better scart image than the Philips but doesn't have half as many features as the Philips....

So should I stick with the Philips or go with the Sony?........

Sorry this is so long and i know it's all down to personal taste but I'm just trying to find out what people think of these sets.... and if this is what all 9525 sets are like.

Cheers in advance.....

2. EffTee

EffTee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've got a 36" 9525 and the picture is absolutely pin sharp with excellent colour depth and contrast. It's especially good using a DVD player as a source.

From what you describe you have either got something set strangely or it is defective. Just for the record, mines set to the following:

brightness - 40%
    contrast - 70%
    sharpness - one notch off the bottom setting
    natural scan is on
    active picture is set to maximum

I spent a lot of time tweaking the settings, but in the end just decided to let the TV do the work. It does try a little too hard with poorer quality analogue transmissions.

Have you noticed that you can specify a scart as a digital source in the set-up?

Best of luck,

EffTee

3. Titan28

Titan28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thx for the reponse...... no i didn't know you could specify a scart as a digital souce.....how do you do that?

Must admit.... I haven't really had time to play around much with all the settings....got a bit dispondent with the set. I'll try the settings you mention.

When you look at stuff like the sky info bar or small txt on a dvd is it pin sharp?.... i really don't want to replace the set with the sony i mention...... but i just don't know what to do?..... :confused:

DVD's especially animation ones just look terrible....but look great on my Sony upstairs....... the only dvd which i thought 'wow' was moulin rouge on the philips....everything else decidedly average.....

Any more help or opinions greatly needed!!!!

Thx.....