1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with my PC120....

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by lauteng, Jul 29, 2002.

1. lauteng

lauteng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I own a Sony PC120 camcorder. However I found snd difficulties:

1. I shot some pictures with the highest quality(Super Fine) and highest resolution. The picture looks fine in the LCD. But it looks poor on my computer (not smooth). I saw some samples posted in a web page, the quality is superb. May I know whether these samples are fake or is it because of wrong setting with my camcorder.

2. May I know how to capture my video from my camcorder to VCD format without any lost frame? I tried many times but failed. For your information, I'm using my laptop with a built-in Firewire port, 256MB RAM, 20GB hard disk with 1 GB processor.

Your advices are much appreciated.

2. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How did you transfer the digital pictures from your camcorder to your PC?

There are two mechanisms (well there may be more but lets not confuse things).

1) Firewire. This is the hightest quality transfer method. You connect the camera to a Firewire (IEEE 1394) port on your computer. You then using a video editing package to drive the transfer from the PC120 to your PC digitally. No quality is lost and no frames will be dropped. You then edit and print to which ever media you want.

2) Composite or S-Video. This is transfering the PC120 footage using an analogue connection to something such as a TV graphics card. It will convert the digital pictures to analogue and then onto your computer. You will edit it analogue and then print to tape in analogue.

Are you sure (sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs) you connected your DV cam to the firewire port and not using a composite cable?

If you are then the hard disc is probably not fast enough and it can't cope with running the operating system, the swap file, the editing package and the avi clip all at the same time.

You're best of using a desktop with dedicated hdd for different functions.

I have a 60gb hdd partitioned to 10gb windows/5gb swap/20gb apps/and the rest "normal" data.

I then have 3x 30gb disks. 1 for raw footage captured off the camera (I have a PC100), 2nd disk for editing, and a 3rd disk to print to.

This means I get the minimum of clashes. For most people this is probably overkill.

Have you got and run a hard disk benchmark program that usually comes with the editing software?

Load up all the applications that would be running when you capture. Then run the benchmark and see what figures if gives. Select the "double" test if there is one. This simulates reading from a raw footage clip (say raw.avi of 1gb in length) and the write (print to) a final print of the film (say finished.avi of another 1gb). This is a more accurate test that just testing the read or write speed individually of the hdd.

good luck.